DJI Director over Harbour

Reaction score
I thought I would try the Director within the Pilot application on iOS. It took a bit of getting used to but the way in which moments can be 'clipped' from raw footage is quite clever. By default it clips 10 seconds, but if you press the clip button again within that 10 second timeframe it will extend the length, or if at different time will create a second moment.

Moving the moments around in a time line is a bit buggy as changing the order of moments is ignored until you switch theme.

The result is not too bad but it missed some great gimbal rotations near some small sailing boats and picked the worst point of a pan around a ship but I am sure a bit more time in the app would have allowed me to select better moments.

The quality is also a bit suspect, its not 720p so I hope that gets better as the raw 4K footage looks pretty good. It is also a shame that you have to leave the Phantom on so while doing it the thing is flashing away and the fans are humming away.

On the whole though its a fun and easy way of sharing the results of your flight quickly with friends before settling down in front of a computer.

The actual flight was a bit harrowing as it was plagued by compass errors, I think the point I took off from must have a lot of rebar in the concrete or the harbour edge was filled in with canon balls or something. At the point I reached the highest point above the water a compass error came up and asked me to switch flight modes.

Has anyone else tried the Director?

Only thing I wish is that it would allow transitions. Even if its just "cross-dissolve".

You don't need to leave the phantom on to use the editor. I made my video on an airplane lol.

You don't need to leave the phantom on to use the editor. I made my video on an airplane lol.

Interesting, at what point does it transfer the video to the tablet?

I almost wish it would need the Phantom on for the final render so that it used the extracts of the source video it needed in decent quality.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94