DIY fix cracks on P3S? Or send to DJI?

Reaction score
So, i was browsing the phantom pilot fourms, and came across a thread about stress cracks in the phantom 4. After a bit of reading, this prompted me to get off the couch and have a look at my beloved phantom 3 standard, sitting proudly on the shelf.

Lo behold, there are stress cracks on two of the motor mounts.

As i live in New Zealand, it would (probably) cost heaps to send to dji, and the after sales card says "No warranty" on the frame anyway.

My bird has just over 100km of flight, and is hardly 3 months old.

What do i do? Super glue the hell out of it? :confused:

Attachments

• 1468490746746.jpg
    1468490746746.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 389
  • 1468490818759.jpg
    1468490818759.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 415
You have a few options:
  • Send it back to DJI and get it repaired for free
  • Buy a new shell and replace it yourself
  • Use a product like Bondic to patch up the cracks and hope they don't spread

Reactions: Cameronb1
The cracks u have really couldn't be in a better spot cause they have gone as far as they can. Myself I wouldn't be worried right now. I'd keep an eye out for new ones though. JMO

I have just been through this. Contacted DJI directly and they organised collection and returned repaired within 8 days. No cost. No argument. It's a known issue.

Hop onto the online chat at the DJI website and take it from there.

Reactions: Squirrel!
I have just been through this. Contacted DJI directly and they organised collection and returned repaired within 8 days. No cost. No argument. It's a known issue.

Hop onto the online chat at the DJI website and take it from there.

Yep i just hoped onto their online chat, except all they did was point me to Ferntech NZ, who quoted almost 90 NZD to get it fixed :( . Being a broke photography student, that's not a great option for me. I guess i will just fly it (very gently) until it breaks haha :rolleyes:

Yep i just hoped onto their online chat, except all they did was point me to Ferntech NZ, who quoted almost 90 NZD to get it fixed :( . Being a broke photography student, that's not a great option for me. I guess i will just fly it (very gently) until it breaks haha :rolleyes:
That doesn't sound right.... PM me if you want to have a go, I will happily share my correspondence with them. I was originally looking at having to ship to the Australian agent at my cost for evaluation and repair also.

That doesn't sound right.... PM me if you want to have a go, I will happily share my correspondence with them. I was originally looking at having to ship to the Australian agent at my cost for evaluation and repair also.

Thanks :) Apparently Ferntech are the only authorised DJI repair agent in New Zealand :confused: Personally, i dont want to send my bird to them, as i have heard bad things about their service. One of my friends bought a phantom from them, and long story short, he had issues with the gimbal, they refused to refund him, and he had to take them to court.

So yea, kind of reluctant, but I'll see what happens :)

Screenshot (260).png
Screenshot (261).png
Personally, I'd leave it and just keep an eye on it that it doesn't 'branch out', but beyond that, would leave it alone. However, in the interim, I would (and did) get a set of these and snap them on and be done with it:

Aerial Freaks QUICK RELEASE propeller guard (Phantom 1/2/3)

Have well over 88 miles on my P3S and (knocks on wood) zero issues to date. I originally bought a set to use as the intended purpose, but repurposed them for motor mount reinforcements and they are outstanding in that capacity. Looks cool, the bird fits in the case better, and I can actually see the orange-red neon easily from the ground. Has made life more enjoyable when flying (to me).

In the pics above, you can see how the front lights 'illuminate' the red neon at night.

Here is how it looks with the prop guards. Just don't use the prop guard and only the quick connect and you should be good to go:

DSCN7193.JPG

If my bird does it I'm going to pop the top shell, mix up some JB Plastic weld and brush a layer on over crack's, let cure, then install the support plates.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using PhantomPilots mobile app

So after trying to get my drone fixed through DJI, and they wanted to charge me, i ended up going back to the retailer i bought it form. Got sent away, took about a month, but came back with a new shell and a aluminium bracket for my phone on the remote. And they didn't charge me a cent [emoji3]

Sent from my HTC One M9 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl