Send it in or keep on flying

Reaction score
So I noticed today some cracks on the bottom of one of the rotor arms of my P3S (see picture). I suspect it happened months back when I clipped a tree, but did not crash. The P3S self stabilized and I didn't think the impact was that severe. I have flown the craft several times since then. I don't see any flexing in the cracks when I apply vertical force to the motor itself in a direction perpendicular to the direction of the cracks. Should I send it in to get this fixed or just keep an eye on it for any progression after every flight? Any DIY suggestions on how to patch this up, e.g. epoxy/fiberglass patch, etc.

damage.jpg

If it's within warranty DJI will replace the shell. These look like the typical shell cracks some of us have experienced (mine looked very similar to yours and I hadn't crashed it). One week turn around (door to door) and no charge. It's worth doing for piece of mind.

I keep seeing this and keep wondering if I'm in the uk how do I send back to DJI? Not even sure where they are located?

If it's within warranty DJI will replace the shell. These look like the typical shell cracks some of us have experienced (mine looked very similar to yours and I hadn't crashed it). One week turn around (door to door) and no charge. It's worth doing for piece of mind.

Standard warranty, right? Not the DJI Care coverage.

Hmm, do I have to send in my controller? It's been modded with a DBS antenna. Would they void warranty though stress fracture on fuselage has nothing to do with the controller?
No. They will only want the AC, in the original box if you have it. You will have to rebind it when it comes back, they may even send a refurbished AC.

Yeah I recommend that you should watch a YouTube video on how to glue it and give it reinforcements. The same thing happened to me. I sent mine to DJI and I got a completely different phantom 3 4K and it had tilted horizon, and a bunch of moving parts that had sand in them. (Different serial number). So you run the risk of getting yours back, getting one that's almost brand new, or getting a really shitty one like I did. Your choice though.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Wow, sand in the parts, that's unacceptable. Did you try and get them to address that? They are sending me info on how to send my unit back to them now. I'll see how enthusiastic I feel about sending it in when I get their email. Frankly, I am planning on going to the Mavic Pro in April so not sure how much effort I want to put into this drone.

For what its worth, it sure seems like a design problem. I replaced my shell twice for same cracks and for a little crash. However, when I got the second shell, I took two part epoxy and carefully filled in every depressed area in each wing, top and bottom to strengthen them. They were much less flimsy afterward and the weight gain was minimal. So far, I've has a few incidents and no damage. Also, silicone self fusing tape is great to stiffen the arms near the end stem where it meets the motors, Not the whole arm, just a belt toward the end. It's like a light weight rubber band that comes in great colors too. My son put it on his Phantom 3 to resist torsion effect on arms. I was so impressed my p3 now has the tape,

For what its worth, it sure seems like a design problem. I replaced my shell twice for same cracks and for a little crash. However, when I got the second shell, I took two part epoxy and carefully filled in every depressed area in each wing, top and bottom to strengthen them. They were much less flimsy afterward and the weight gain was minimal. So far, I've has a few incidents and no damage. Also, silicone self fusing tape is great to stiffen the arms near the end stem where it meets the motors, Not the whole arm, just a belt toward the end. It's like a light weight rubber band that comes in great colors too. My son put it on his Phantom 3 to resist torsion effect on arms. I was so impressed my p3 now has the tape,

Could you send photo of how you applied it? Ended up sending the drone back yesterday. I'll update on results of this RMA process.

If it's a Dji warranty issue I believe the UK customers drones get sent to Holland for repair from what I've read elsewhere.

After some back and forth between emails with dji support for a different issue. I have decided although you can and could get warranty work done personally I will be just paying for stuff out of my own pocket with a uk based company.
Dis support is atrocious at best lol , and other than a 100% brand new replacement I don't think I'd let dji do anything for me. Shame as the products are great.
Can't have it all I guess though lol

I have too this.Do not send for repair. breaks again and again. I ordered this. It supposedly good for our problem.Silicone tape good idea.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-03-05-21-00-57.png
    Screenshot_2017-03-05-21-00-57.png
    239.3 KB · Views: 323
Could you send photo of how you applied it? Ended up sending the drone back yesterday. I'll update on results of this RMA process.

So I finally got my P3S back from the DJI repair facility. It was not the fastest process. Sent my PS3 in to the repair facility in Southern California the first week of March. Even though UPS showed it had been delivered to their facility, it still took a couple days before their Repair Progress website should it had been received. I didn't get it back until April 5th. Looks like they gave me a new P3S or a refurbed unit, different SNs for Body and Camera. Ran it through it's paces today and it seems to check-out. No charges for the repair so can't really complain.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen