DIY Antenna Modification - RANGE TEST (14,180 FEET) with DJI Phantom 3 Standard

Hello all
Can anyone explain how the 2.4 gh antenneas on the p3s work,I know the 5.8 gh is for control,
and the 2.4gh is for video and telemetry. But why 2? I have heard it sugested that one is uplink
and one downlink.Why would you need an uplink for video.
I was wondering if it is a phazing array of sorts.I would be most gratefull if someone who knows
could enlighten us all.Many thanks in anticepation.
I wanted to start a new thread, but dont know how.

Hello all
Can anyone explain how the 2.4 gh antenneas on the p3s work,I know the 5.8 gh is for control,
and the 2.4gh is for video and telemetry. But why 2? I have heard it sugested that one is uplink
I was wondering if it is a phazing array of sorts.I would be most gratefull if someone who knows

The stock 5.8Ghz is omni directional, so it covers a large circle around you. The stock 2.4Ghz is directional so covers a cone ahead of you. It has two, so that it can cover a larger directional area.

You guys should try the DIY 2.4ghz bird side antenna mod too. My control signal will drop down to nothing, but I'll still have 4 bars on the video transmission. Before that. I'd lose video first, then lose control a few hundred feet later.

Homemade dipole antennas for 2.4ghz
On a side note, your line. "I'd lose video first, then lose control a few hundred feet later." I'd use to experience the very same thing. My thought is that the only way the remote knows that it still connected (5.8 ghz), is through the telemetry via the Wi-Fi (2.4 ghz) signal. So when you lose video / telemetry, emphasis here is on telemetry. The remote just assumes the control signal is lost a short time later, and Fail-Safe RTH initiates. So by improving the range of your video and telemetry signal, you're getting the upmost range possible out of the control signal. If you understand what I'm getting at.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Y2KGTA
Hello all
I wanted to start a new thread, but dont know how.
They both do the same thing, there's not an upload and download antenna element. But WiFi is a upload and download transmission as there is error correcting involved so they need to talk to each other.

Reactions: Harry650
They both do the same thing, there's not an upload and download antenna element. But WiFi is a upload and download transmission as there is error correcting involved so they need to talk to each other.

Yes of course, i had forgoten the rc add ac have to handshake thank for waking my old brain.

For the stock stationary antennas, I'm sure it's set at an optimal position, but with antenna mods, you can adjust them to whatever works perfectly for you.
I have copied your mod (2.4 gh only) and have used handle holes same as you, I have also done magic 5 mod but owing to weather have not been able to test either yet. Thanks very much for help.

Reactions: Sisco
Hi,
I went through the whole thread but it's a bit confusing.
I don't understand the bit that says change the rc to 20dbm and ac to 27dbm.
I have installed magic power and manually set the dbm to 27.
Is there anything else I should do
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
A bit of topic...
Anyone knows why litchi doesn't have the 1080p 60fps option as I've seen in some YouTube videos
Thanks

A bit of topic...
Anyone knows why litchi doesn't have the 1080p 60fps option as I've seen in some YouTube videos
Thanks

I believe that's the P3A, P3P and P4 models only, not the Standard.

Just read this whole thread. Not watched videos yet but I will.

Are peeps thinking this is possibly the best range mod to do? Better than argtek and dbs?

I posted a thread yesterday and before I spend any money I'm looking at all three. I convinced myself yesterday dbs was the way to go. Now after this thread I'm thinking this sisco Alfa mod is the best thing to do for a phantom 3 Standard.

Also I have the latest DJI App version a d latest software is that ok for this mod? And do you have to do the magic power too?

Thanks

Darren

Last edited:
Just read this whole thread. Not watched videos yet but I will.

Are peeps thinking this is possibly the best range mod to do? Better than argtek and dbs?

I posted a thread yesterday and before I spend any money I'm looking at all three. I convinced myself yesterday dbs was the way to go. Now after this thread I'm thinking this sisco Alfa mod is the best thing to do for a phantom 3 Standard.

Also I have the latest DJI App version a d latest software is that ok for this mod? And do you have to do the magic power too?

Thanks

Darren

That's pretty much what I was saying about this mod when you asked for the pros and cons. IMO, This one looks like the best to me. Just a little more labor intensive, but if you are half way mechanically inclined, you can handle it. I put my name in to win a set. If I do, I'm going to design something a little different to mount, kind of like how the ARGteks do. The best thing is is that this one is the cheapest of them all. I wish I'd have seen this one first, before I got the DBS.

People are having problems with the latest DJI Go. Roll back to 2.9.1 or 3.0.(I forgot). You do not have to have Magic power, but it would certainly help.

Reactions: Dazzauk

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures