Discuss the DJI Lightbridge here....

Thanks. That what I had hoped for. I've been watching this item for quite some time.

mjeagent said:
From what I've been told, looks like vendors will have these in stock on May 9-10. It's about time.

Same here, have been told my pre order will be with me end of the week/start of next.

So has anyone got this yet? I'm still waiting for the email saying that it has been shipped. The winds here in SoCal have kicked up again so I'm off to the canyons looking for calmer air.

GlowFET said:
So has anyone got this yet? I'm still waiting for the email saying that it has been shipped. The winds here in SoCal have kicked up again so I'm off to the canyons looking for calmer air.

Yes - I have one up and running now, as have a few others reporting on other forums, so they are definitely shipping.

Have question hopefully some of you more experienced guys may be able to help with ....

Am thinking of upgarding with Lightbridge on a P2 with Zenmuse HD3-3D and Gopro (latest).

To control Phantom 2 with LB, I realise will need another controller (not a DJI) for flight link control via LB, ... as well as vid downlink back to smartphone with OSD etc

Am I right in thinking given I will just be using GoPro on P2 (limited need of large amount of camera and gimbal control), .... am I able to just assign gimbal control to the same controller !!

Also if this scenario is correct what would you feel would be best controller in this sense.

Thanks for any expert help or opinions ....

GMANNZ said:
Have question hopefully some of you more experienced guys may be able to help with ....

Am thinking of upgarding with Lightbridge on a P2 with Zenmuse HD3-3D and Gopro (latest).

To control Phantom 2 with LB, I realise will need another controller (not a DJI) for flight link control via LB, ... as well as vid downlink back to smartphone with OSD etc

Am I right in thinking given I will just be using GoPro on P2 (limited need of large amount of camera and gimbal control), .... am I able to just assign gimbal control to the same controller !!

Also if this scenario is correct what would you feel would be best controller in this sense.

Thanks for any expert help or opinions ....

Yes - you need a 3rd party controller with a trainer port that supports FASST, but then it will do everything (and more) that the DJI controller does stock, which includes the gimbal control.

There are several options - the most common seem to be the Futabas (8 or 14 variants - I have the 14SG), but there are also less expensive alternatives.

sar104 said:
Yes - you need a 3rd party controller with a trainer port that supports FASST, but then it will do everything (and more) that the DJI controller does stock, which includes the gimbal control.

There are several options - the most common seem to be the Futabas (8 or 14 variants - I have the 14SG), but there are also less expensive alternatives.

Thanks SAR104 .... I usually like to purchase best gear so might go with your same model (as know it works for others) especially in scenarios like this when other $$ things are reliant on it .....

Are they hard to configure ?? ... Phantom vision ( I have now) is 1st RC thing I have ever had in my life, ..... so the step up hopefully wont be to difficult to accomplish .... have worked in IT and telecommunications for years and am quick learner, so hopefully won't have to much trouble muddling through .... especially with all the good back up and help some of you more experienced guys provide.

GMANNZ said:
sar104 said:

Thanks SAR104 .... I usually like to purchase best gear so might go with your same model (as know it works for others) especially in scenarios like this when other $$ things are reliant on it .....

Are they hard to configure ?? ... Phantom vision ( I have now) is 1st RC thing I have ever had in my life, ..... so the step up hopefully wont be to difficult to accomplish .... have worked in IT and telecommunications for years and am quick learner, so hopefully won't have to much trouble muddling through .... especially with all the good back up and help some of you more experienced guys provide.

I certainly wouldn't describe myself as experienced - I've never flown RC before deciding to explore the use of the P2 for search and rescue applications. I took a shortcut in terms of configuring the Futaba using the profile published by ianwood a few months back:

http://www.phantompilots.com/viewto...1ec1a17b8403aa5b9f17ed78c9b8&start=540#p68948

LB installation is pretty much as shown in the DJI video, but configuring the Futaba to work via the LB was a little tricky (not just a matter of calibrating in the Phantom Assistant software), requiring modification to some of the endpoints in the Futaba programming, but it seems to be working. Other than the Futaba power supply/charger, which appears to have completely died - not too impressed by that but I assume I can get a replacement.

You will also need an Android device if you want OSD, because currently that is missing from the LB HDMI output.

Thanks again SAR104 ..... will follow through as you have shown ..... have latest samsung tablet so am good to go for OSD input, just thought I would go this way as like the small form factor of the Phantoms, but also buying this gear I can retask if I ever think of going forward and building BIGGER :shock:

you would think a company like dslrpros or aerialmediapros would have put together a P2/LB/futaba package. This is right up their alley considering they already like to do packages. A P2/H33D with LB and Futaba remote would be ideal. At the very least, it would be nice to have a P2/H33D available as a craft only without the controller. They had it on the P1 and the vision. Save $150 or so and put it towards a Futaba and it makes the whole package a little bit easier to swallow. The hardest part for me is that you wait so long to get the ground station update and now you have to decide between the ground station and the light bridge. It wouldn't be a big deal if it was as easy as swapping batteries but you have to take the lid off in order to remove/add the light bridge.

Just as the vision was step 1 before the vision+, I see the light bridge being step 1 with a lightbridge+ or LB2 in the winter or next year that is an all in one with the ground station and FPV. Or perhaps a Phantom 3 with the LB built in. I could see a Phantom with LB and GS built in (even if that means the bottom of the shell behind the gimbal has to be larger) going for $2599 and selling a lot of them. At that point in time all you would need would be your iPad and you have a ready to go out of the box quad with FPV and waypoint flight.

Ksc said:
you would think a company like dslrpros or aerialmediapros would have put together a P2/LB/futaba package. This is right up their alley considering they already like to do packages. A P2/H33D with LB and Futaba remote would be ideal. At the very least, it would be nice to have a P2/H33D available as a craft only without the controller. They had it on the P1 and the vision. Save $150 or so and put it towards a Futaba and it makes the whole package a little bit easier to swallow. The hardest part for me is that you wait so long to get the ground station update and now you have to decide between the ground station and the light bridge. It wouldn't be a big deal if it was as easy as swapping batteries but you have to take the lid off in order to remove/add the light bridge.

Just as the vision was step 1 before the vision+, I see the light bridge being step 1 with a lightbridge+ or LB2 in the winter or next year that is an all in one with the ground station and FPV. Or perhaps a Phantom 3 with the LB built in. I could see a Phantom with LB and GS built in (even if that means the bottom of the shell behind the gimbal has to be larger) going for $2599 and selling a lot of them. At that point in time all you would need would be your iPad and you have a ready to go out of the box quad with FPV and waypoint flight.

Yeah I think your right ... im going to look at the pricing and options .... and if looks bit "pre" anything in future, might wait till xmas to see what eventuates ... as P2v and rotorpixel is still fine for me at moment

LB works with 2.4G channel for vehicle control AND video transmission.

The P2 radio is 2.4G but does not have a trainer plug.*

Thus the P2 radio cannot be used with LB due to interference.**, ***

When a non-2.4G radio is used, there are 2 options:
1. radio transmission is turned OFF on the radio and LB performs BOTH vehicle control and video.
2. radio transmission is kept ON on the radio and LB is used only for video.

* The trainer plug is required to send vehicle control input from the radio to the LB.

** The possibility of DJI developing an adapter to use the USB port on the P2 radio as a trainer is unclear.

*** The P2 radio's USB port can relay radio input information, but the transmission of 2.4G data through the radio's antenna must ALSO be turned off as it would interfere with the LB 2.4G band.

Just checked email and just got quote for my proposed setup .... helipal.com

Phantom 2 with H3-3D gimbal is USD$959.
DJI Lightbridge is USD$1399
2x DJI batteries USD$318
Futaba 14SG Controller USD$599

Shipping Courier to New Zealand should be around USD$70~90, takes 3-4 days.

$3347 USD = $3874 NZD

Might have to hider that one from the lovely wife :)

you dont need futaba for lightbridge. this is from the LB user manual.
Screen_Shot_2014_05_13_at_7_08_57_PM.png

ludedude said:
leekawey said:
I just want to know how does the lightbridge work with stock Phantom 2 controller? or I have to upgrade to futaba? :?:
You'll have to upgrade to a controller that has a training port.

if thats the case what the heck is pictured here in the LB user manual?! I'm confused :cry:
Screen_Shot_2014_05_13_at_7_25_50_PM.png

Adam said:
leekawey said:
I just want to know how does the lightbridge work with stock Phantom 2 controller? or I have to upgrade to futaba? :?:

Yeah, I was hoping to just use stock transmitter too. Futaba 8FG on the way. :)

You dont have to use futaba. im gonna use my old spektrum. here's list of supported radios from user manual:
Screen_Shot_2014_05_13_at_7_08_57_PM.png

shaunmed said:
ludedude said:
leekawey said:
You'll have to upgrade to a controller that has a training port.

if thats the case what the heck is pictured here in the LB user manual?! I'm confused :cry:

That could be a DJI 5.8 GHz controller, with the LB just handling the video downlink. Then again, that looks suspiciously like an iPhone too, so it could just be "how we wished it worked".

So I'm not sure if the Lightbridge has been released for sale here in the States yet, or not, but. My vendor (DroneFly) emailed me with a reply to my question of a shipping date stating that they are still waiting for DJI to release it. In any case I have one on pre-order now for 2 weeks and I've grown accustomed to the wait and see factor that is unfortunately, a big part of flying hobby.

GlowFET said:
So I'm not sure if the Lightbridge has been released for sale here in the States yet, or not, but. My vendor (DroneFly) emailed me with a reply to my question of a shipping date stating that they are still waiting for DJI to release it. In any case I have one on pre-order now for 2 weeks and I've grown accustomed to the wait and see factor that is unfortunately, a big part of flying hobby.

I guess you have not been reading this, or other topics then. LB has been shipping for a couple of weeks in the US, from several vendors, and a number of us have been using it.

sar104 said:
GlowFET said:

I guess you have not been reading this, or other topics then. LB has been shipping for a couple of weeks in the US, from several vendors, and a number of us have been using it.

I have been following this thread. But it still remains that I'm being told by a known DJI vendor. That it is still a Pre-Order. Darn.

Where did you purchase your's?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor