Discuss the DJI Lightbridge here....

Ksc said:
I'm semi confused from the youtube video they posted. It looks in order to use the light bridge on a P2, you will need the P2, the light bridge, and a futaba or a Vision controller. I was hoping I could buy the light bridge and P2 H3-3D and just have everything. Any ideas? I'd love to see them offer a ready to go bundle. Similar to the P2 H3-3D combo. Give me the 5.8ghz controller in that package.

You need a radio with a trainer port, which the stock Phantom radio does not have.

I have the same question but will post it my way

1. Why is it ok to use 2.4G Futaba RC as shown on the instruction video?
2. Why is it not ok to use DJI 2.4G RC and to use DJI 5.8G RC instead as per the second instructional video?
3. Where do I get the DJI 5.8G RC? P2 comes with 2.4G RC. It’s the Vision which comes with 5.8G RC. And I didn’t find nowhere on the internet to buy the 5.8 only the 2.4 I found.

DJI did not gave me any useful reply
Will appreciate if somebody here can clarify

sar104 said:
Ksc said:
I'm semi confused from the youtube video they posted. It looks in order to use the light bridge on a P2, you will need the P2, the light bridge, and a futaba or a Vision controller. I was hoping I could buy the light bridge and P2 H3-3D and just have everything. Any ideas? I'd love to see them offer a ready to go bundle. Similar to the P2 H3-3D combo. Give me the 5.8ghz controller in that package.

You need a radio with a trainer port, which the stock Phantom radio does not have.

So am I to assume that in the video when they connect it to the 5.8ghz dji controller, they are using the light bridge only as FPV and not as fpv/controller? Seems wasteful to get FPV to 1.2km but not be able to fly past 600m.

SkyWorx said:
I have the same question but will post it my way

1. Why is it ok to use 2.4G Futaba RC as shown on the instruction video?
2. Why is it not ok to use DJI 2.4G RC and to use DJI 5.8G RC instead as per the second instructional video?
3. Where do I get the DJI 5.8G RC? P2 comes with 2.4G RC. It’s the Vision which comes with 5.8G RC. And I didn’t find nowhere on the internet to buy the 5.8 only the 2.4 I found.

DJI did not gave me any useful reply
Will appreciate if somebody here can clarify

To control the Phantom 2 with the LB requires connecting the radio trainer port to the LB rather than transmitting RC directly from the radio. The DJI radios have no trainer port, so that requires a third party radio that does have one, such as the Futaba.

I have no idea why one might want to swap out the control receiver in the Phantom 2 for a 5.8 GHz version and then use that for control rather than just control via the LB, since 5.8 GHz control requires a different radio anyway. Presumably that is just the 5.8 GHz Vision controller that they are using, so I guess if you had one lying around then a new 5.8 GHz receiver board for the Phantom 2 would be cheaper than buying a Futaba or equivalent.

Will the LB work with the P2V+? Would be good to get video and control to 1.7km.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ksc said:
You will need a Futaba or other RC remote with the trainer port-which means if you don't use the FASST technology that Futaba uses, you will need to upgrade the receiver on the aircraft.
But, what I find interesting is; you can only receive the OSD by using a "smart device"....so the OSD is in bedded in the stream, but needs the I-phone to decode it. Those of us without smart devices are outta luck.
Also-as a promotion, DJI is offering a Phone holder...but, it's shown on a DJI controller???!!! Did I miss something there? You would need a phone holder for a Futaba, or whatever radio you chose to use.

Also-I believe you can shoot at whatever resolution you want-higher than 1080P/30, but it will be downsampled to that resolution. So, if you wanted to shoot in 2.7K/30,24-you could still do that, it would just be downsampled. I could be wrong though.

I'm looking at this to do live webcasts of some sporting events I cover. Tried the old Phantom 1 Today, with a Boscam VTX and the 2 axis gimbal, and those lines!!!!
I'm wondering if anyone has used the "filter board", on a Zen 2D to remove the electrical interference from the gimbal?? (sorry-drifted OT there).

BUT, if LB will only give me OSD via a "smart device", I'm outta luck. Would be nice to have 2 outputs from the ground station-port 1 would be with OSD, and port 2, through 5? could be just straight HDMI out, without OSD...that's what I need!!!

havasuphoto said:
Ksc said:
You will need a Futaba or other RC remote with the trainer port-which means if you don't use the FASST technology that Futaba uses, you will need to upgrade the receiver on the aircraft.
But, what I find interesting is; you can only receive the OSD by using a "smart device"....so the OSD is in bedded in the stream, but needs the I-phone to decode it. Those of us without smart devices are outta luck.
Also-as a promotion, DJI is offering a Phone holder...but, it's shown on a DJI controller???!!! Did I miss something there? You would need a phone holder for a Futaba, or whatever radio you chose to use.

Also-I believe you can shoot at whatever resolution you want-higher than 1080P/30, but it will be downsampled to that resolution. So, if you wanted to shoot in 2.7K/30,24-you could still do that, it would just be downsampled. I could be wrong though.

I'm looking at this to do live webcasts of some sporting events I cover. Tried the old Phantom 1 Today, with a Boscam VTX and the 2 axis gimbal, and those lines!!!!
I'm wondering if anyone has used the "filter board", on a Zen 2D to remove the electrical interference from the gimbal?? (sorry-drifted OT there).

BUT, if LB will only give me OSD via a "smart device", I'm outta luck. Would be nice to have 2 outputs from the ground station-port 1 would be with OSD, and port 2, through 5? could be just straight HDMI out, without OSD...that's what I need!!!

I don't think the receiver needs to be changed on the phantom because the light bridge becomes the receiver. It seems like they are pushing it to the phantom crowd but they are not making it very easy.

Ksc said:
I don't think the receiver needs to be changed on the phantom because the light bridge becomes the receiver. It seems like they are pushing it to the phantom crowd but they are not making it very easy.

It is strange that DJI have two support videos showing entirely different methods. The first shows the obvious one - the P2 with the LB handling control and video feed (with a Futaba to connect to the LB). The second shows the separate 5.8 GHz control link, which is what the LB documentation has said all along was needed to use it with the P2, even though that obviously is not the case and not the best way to do it.

I think what they are doing is using the LB as a video only transmission system and using the 5.8ghz controller as a flight controlling system. Technically someone would carry less because they wouldn't need an FPV monitor. But by the same logic, they have essentially just made a Vision+ with a gopro camera. While the gopro is a better camera, I'd rather go with the vision+ and get a lower price point as well as ground station functions (if that update ever comes out). The biggest thing holding me back on the LB is that I think I'll have to uninstall it if I want to use the iOS Ground Station system. It seems to be one or the other right now.

Not to mention that doing it the way DJI describes means you would have spent enough on the P2/LB/GS to have just bought a P2 and installed the GS and a Vision+ and use it for FPV.

I'm guessing the LB does not superimpose the osd at all and that is actually done by the tablet/phone with sync data hence why no osd on the hdmi, it simply isn't in the ground box, if this is the case no firmware will be able to fix that.

I read on one of the forums that the reason the OSD info is not displayed via the HDMI out port is so that you can use it for stuff like live displays. For example you can strap it onto the S1000 and film a news event while sending the feed back to the newsroom live and not have your audience see stuff that only you would care about.

Ksc said:
I read on one of the forums that the reason the OSD info is not displayed via the HDMI out port is so that you can use it for stuff like live displays. For example you can strap it onto the S1000 and film a news event while sending the feed back to the newsroom live and not have your audience see stuff that only you would care about.
That may be true. But-wouldn't it be simpler and more attractive for us Non-smart phone owners, to have HDMI 1 out, have OSD, and all the other HDMI feeds have no OSD?? They have the ability of making 1 stream, a "master stream"....that's my understanding. So, build it into the GS....otherwise I won't be able to use it at all.

markab said:
I'm guessing the LB does not superimpose the osd at all and that is actually done by the tablet/phone with sync data hence why no osd on the hdmi, it simply isn't in the ground box, if this is the case no firmware will be able to fix that.

The OSD data are obviously coming through the ground box though, since that is the only link with the P2. What has been suggested is that the ground box does not have the processing power to overlay that real-time on the HDMI feed out, whereas it can transmit the data via USB to the mobile device and let the device app handle the overlay. I find that unconvincing however.

havasuphoto said:
Ksc said:
That may be true. But-wouldn't it be simpler and more attractive for us Non-smart phone owners, to have HDMI 1 out, have OSD, and all the other HDMI feeds have no OSD?? They have the ability of making 1 stream, a "master stream"....that's my understanding. So, build it into the GS....otherwise I won't be able to use it at all.

I agree. But you really do not own a smart phone? no iPhone? nothing? Not to sound like a **** but you are on the rare end of the spectrum that is soon to be extinct and I think that is why DJI is pushing the smart phone angle. It would just be nice to have android, apple, windows, and all other devices work.

Ksc said:
havasuphoto said:
Ksc said:

I agree. But you really do not own a smart phone? no iPhone? nothing? Not to sound like a **** but you are on the rare end of the spectrum that is soon to be extinct and I think that is why DJI is pushing the smart phone angle. It would just be nice to have android, apple, windows, and all other devices work.
Yes, I really don't own a smart phone. I don't need it for my business....I don't do texts. I have a regular phone and a regular cell phone-done. OH, and the computer (pee cee) for the internet.

havasuphoto said:
Yes, I really don't own a smart phone. I don't need it for my business....I don't do texts. I have a regular phone and a regular cell phone-done. OH, and the computer (pee cee) for the internet.

I definitely see the value having an OSD overlay mode through HDMI, although I can appreciate why DJI drew the line there. In a two-operator setup, the cameraman can use a larger monitor for low-latency real-time video without flight control distractions, and the pilot can use a smartphone or tablet with basic flight info and telemetry. Maybe a real-time rendering of on screen telemetry will be a Lightbridge 2 feature...

Havasu, don't take this the wrong way, but not owning a smartphone is quickly becoming a minority position, and one that's shrinking even more every year, and quickly. Maybe this is a good opportunity to pick up an inexpensive tablet, which will be higher resolution and cheaper than many field monitors available today (plus it'll do a ton more if you want to get into apps).

ElGuano said:
havasuphoto said:

I definitely see the value having an OSD overlay mode through HDMI, although I can appreciate why DJI drew the line there. In a two-operator setup, the cameraman can use a larger monitor for low-latency real-time video without flight control distractions, and the pilot can use a smartphone or tablet with basic flight info and telemetry. Maybe a real-time rendering of on screen telemetry will be a Lightbridge 2 feature...

Havasu, don't take this the wrong way, but not owning a smartphone is quickly becoming a minority position, and one that's shrinking even more every year, and quickly. Maybe this is a good opportunity to pick up an inexpensive tablet, which will be higher resolution and cheaper than many field monitors available today (plus it'll do a ton more if you want to get into apps).

From the documentation the 2 outputs are mutually exclusive so you can't use hdmi and tablet at the same time, one or the other.

markab said:
From the documentation the 2 outputs are mutually exclusive so you can't use hdmi and tablet at the same time, one or the other.

Yes, that's why it would be a wish-list feature. But you should be able to get that with the release version of the LB with the multi-ground-end capability.

I place an order this morning for one thru DroneFly. I know it is a Pre-Order. But it has been listed as a Pre-Order for sometime now. Does anyone know when it is going to be released?

From what I've been told, looks like vendors will have these in stock on May 9-10. It's about time.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1