Discharge Phantom 2 Battery

Reaction score
I crashed my P2 last week and had to send it in for repair. The problem is, I have 4 batteries that are fully charged and no craft to discharge them with. It could take up to a month to get back and know you shouldn't store them at full charge. Any suggestions?

Re: Discharge 5400mAH Battery

Do you have those aftermarket 5400mAh batteries from Ttongr?
If so, how do they perform?
Thanks.

I know enough about electronics to know that some sort of resistor load could be attached to the batteries to discharge them but I wouldn't know how watts and ohms resistor you would need. Maybe some electronics guru could answer the question. It's been so long since I used to formula, I even forgot what Ohms law is. I think it's Current (I) equals Voltage (V) over Resistance (R). I=V/R or R=V/I. Using 100ma & 11.2 volts it would be 11.2/.1 or 142 ohms for 100ma discharge. Wattage would come into play to determine how hefty of resistor you would want to get.

phantomguy said:
power them on and let them sit. Just like the manual states.

Where in the manual does it state this? Sorry, I could not find that.

Hoot

From the P2 manual (version 1.04):

Sleep Protection

The battery will enter sleep mode after 10 minutes of inactivity to save power. The static current is 10nA in sleep mode when the battery is powered on without connecting to other devices.

At 10 nano Amp (10nA), how long does it take to drain a fully charged battery. If disconnected from the Phantom I'm assuming that current is the power to light the LED on the face of the battery? Plugged in to a Phantom, I imagine all the sensors, GPS, IMU and LEDS are running drawing current when awake. Sleeping just the LED on the battery???

Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but I don't see in section #4.5 where it says to turn on a battery not inside of or not plugged into a Phantom. I didn't however look at all four available versions of the manual (.04, .06, .08, 1.1)

Yep, I wish some third party would come up with a charger-discharger. I keep track of my batteries and find it to be a hassle to plug battery into Phantom, connect Phantom to computer and read/record battery information. Be nice to have a charger-discharger to plug battery into and bypass the Phantom and computer hook up. Although I suppose some of that information would not be available without the Phantom-computer interface. DJI trade secrets at risk.

Hey Buk - your prayers have just been answered :) (a couple of years later mind you!). I had the exact same frustrations so I created a little gadget especially for discharging Phantom 2/3 batteries down to correct storage level. I call it the Phantom Angel. I've ordered the boards in bulk so I'm making it available to whoever's interested. More info at http://phantomangel.rocks

Very nice!
In the video, it looks like it is discharged to the 62-75% level. Shouldn't it be lower to the 50%?
Just increase the time the lamp is on.

Hey Pomanobill220 - good spot.
Opinion differs on the exact percentage needed. It ranges from 50-75% depending on where you look. My Hyperion charger (which is super high quality stuff) has its storage mode at 60%. I decided to go towards the higher end of the range (but still well within comfortable limits) as most pilots would like to be able to charge up and fly as soon as possible. The Angel discharges to around 60% I say "around" because the exact % depends on the age and condition of the battery. The older, more used and least maintained batteries will drop their voltage faster. In my testing the Angel plays in the 60-70% range.

I didn't know that you should discharge your batteries. I have 4 stock batteries that were left charged and in my case for almost a year. I flew with them last weekend without any problems. I recharged all of them a couple of times over the weekend.

Hi guys,

Since launching the Phantom Angel a couple of months ago I've had loads of discussions with Phantom pilots about their batteries.
What I saw was that the majority of new pilots were not aware of standard LiPo practices and were surprised and grateful when I shared some of what I've learnt over the years.

So, with that in mind, I've created a concise, newbie-friendly guide to all things LiPo. If you don't know how to store your battiers, how to keep them from exploding or how to tell your watts from your amps, this guide's for you :)

Top tips for happy Phantom batteries

Hope you find it useful and please do send over any and all thoughts and comments.

Proto

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl