Dilema - new PV2 - should I update or not?

Reaction score
As the title suggests, I've ordered a new PV2 and it should be delivered tomorrow. All the posts suggest that I should update it to the latest firmware before fying but seeing as there is a brand new (relatively untested) update just released should I go ahead and update it or leave the pre-installed firmware as it is for a couple of weeks?

If it makes any difference, I'm most likely going to be flying in naza mode.

I'd suggest waiting at least 2-3 days before upgrading (let others beta test for bugs) and during that time, reading as much as you can and learning as much as you can. I'd personally not fly until then, unless you are certain you have the firmware already loaded that mitigates some of the flyaway risk discussed here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bxjL7wFyb8

I'll check the firmware version when I get it, also have to finish reading the manual and in between times I have to study for a work exam. Not the best timing to get the PV2 but I couldn't wait :D

This update was not for any critical fixes. I suspect it's done some things under the hood to prep for waypoint flying. The main feature is that it has introduced the flight limits feature, or "geofence".

We already have a few flight tests and no issues reported yet. I'm going to do it tomorrow afternoon assuming no reports of anything unusual happening between now and then. The slowed descent rate that it introduces will help people not to get into a vortex ring state when coming straight down (which is never advisable anyway).

I just took the plunge as the weather was perfect for a test .... for a little while. Now we have brisk winds.

But it appears the install at least went well.

I think I'll go for it. The geofence sounds like a good idea when I'm getting to grips with it. I'm maybe thinking the phantom is too difficult to fly, I used to manage basic 3D manuevres with a nitro copter!

I think given your experience it may be that it's too easy? You might be over-controlling it. I found something similar coming from a gyro-only quad - I was used to constant corrective inputs, really having to fly the thing all the time. Once you "let go, Luke" and let the Vision do the work all you have to do is correct for wind drift if in atti mode. Once I got the hang of how much it can do on its own then I got used to working with it to start putting together figure eights and nose-in circles, etc.

My upgrade went ok , however the slowed descent doesn't stop one getting into a ring vortex state as my test flight yesterday can verify.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl