descend and grab ?

Semantics...

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
Not really.

If you're "grabbing" at your drone, you might just wind up with a handful of prop. Also, as well you know, moving the drone or jerking it around while it is still powered up is not a good plan.

Use your hand to "capture" the landing leg and main body. Ease your thumb up on the main body for support. Easier on the drone and on your body.

AD

Speaking of CSC and shutting down, I've encountered some mishaps where my P3 is on the ground upside down. She just doesn't seem to want to shut off with CSC which ends up causing more damage than necessary, particularly to the props.
Any suggestions on how to shut off quickly?

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app
You should not use CSC shutdown on landing. This will almost invariably flip your phantom. Throttle stick held straight down for 3 seconds will stop the motors. I recommend hand catching.

I disagree [emoji46], ie I prefer GPS mode hand recover landing let me explain then decide yourself:-
- firstly over Phantom facing away from you is best, particularly newer pilots, as controls left / right are the correct way around if urgent unexpected changes are needed at last minute (minimise risk of going in wrong direction in possibly stressful landing situation like wind)
- GPS mode hover will avoid wind gust moving aircraft and possibly causing pilot / Phantom damage or injury - just like normal landing is easier and safer with GPS vs ATTI mode.
Point is safe landing - one can do other modes of course, but when advising folk, I prefer giving best advice not how to look cool [emoji4]

- Phantom P3A & P3P -
Sent from my iPad Pro using PhantomPilots App

I can see the angle you are coming from and some situations yea GPS but I think new pilots over rely on it, don't realize it can and will fail, isn't as accurate as you hope, and are scared to fly in ATTI mode when it will actually save your bird in some situations.

-You can fly backwards in ATTI just as easily as GPS.

-People flying in GPS usually have obstacle avoidance and other sensors on. I've seen a guy put his hand up to hand catch, try to roll the bird closer, the bird not respond to his stick commands bc it thinks he's an obstacle to avoid, him being distracted looking at the bird and trying to grab gives it more throttle to roll, the transmitter is beeping loudly at him, he moves his hand and looks down at the screen and the bird rolls past the front of his face while scaring the **** out of him. Couple feet lower he would have gotten a haircut. All mistakes a beginner would make and all things that could be avoided if there wasn't an over reliance on sensors that aren't as failsafe most new pilots believe.

-Yea, in very gusty winds I would catch it in GPS. Like I said the bird has to be responding well and I have to be feeling it to attempt an ATTI hand catch. On the other hand you read threads on here every week where someone loses GPS/compass/video and responds a bit panicky, sometimes crashing. This is just as likely to happen in the wind so if the winds are gusting hard enough you can't confidently fly or land in ATTI, you shouldn't be flying in P mode either, in my opinion. Switching over to ATTI mode should be instinct in some of these situations but people who aren't confident enough leave it as a last resort making it a crash more likely.

-In places like canyons, around tall buildings, indoors, etc you are really taking a risk flying in GPS. You should be able to land on a mark nose in, ATTI mode before attempting these flights.

-Disagree about GPS landings being easier or safer than ATTI. Def not softer. Once you get the craft somewhat close to the ground in GPS the sensors starting getting all sort of feedback and it does not translate into a smooth, fluid descent. The bird will react to everything in its vicinity even outside the landing zone and slightly throttle back up, back down, back up, back down, I'm holding throttle down slightly why won't it land, to the left, to the right, and generally struggle with it's sensors input and trying to correct itself in it's own prop wash, which it's been in too long because it won't just simply descend at the rate you are inputting on the stick. I hate giving stick inputs that aren't executed when I'm 2 feet of the ground.

ATTI mode you can make a smooooth line with a controlled rate of descent that won't change unless you want it to. No bouncing. If you want to land on the hard case you brought it in or other small structure like that GPS goes even crazier.

-People think it looks cool because it's a smooth movement from elevation into your hand as opposed to the jerky movements of GPS. I think smooth approach is safer too, just happens to get the kids on instagram going as well.

Speaking of CSC and shutting down, I've encountered some mishaps where my P3 is on the ground upside down. She just doesn't seem to want to shut off with CSC which ends up causing more damage than necessary, particularly to the props.
Any suggestions on how to shut off quickly?

1. Always crash right side up,

2. The CSC command now takes 3 seconds to work. It's not instant like it used to be.

I don't know of a quicker way than CSC other than a swift, hard kick. ;)

Reactions: Tyger
You should not use CSC shutdown on landing. This will almost invariably flip your phantom. Throttle stick held straight down for 3 seconds will stop the motors. I recommend hand catching.
He was referring to after a crash. His Phantom was face down BEFORE he tried to stop the motors. I suspect he didn't realize you now have to hold the CSC for 3 seconds before it'll shut down.

He was referring to after a crash. His Phantom was face down BEFORE he tried to stop the motors. I suspect he didn't realize you now have to hold the CSC for 3 seconds before it'll shut down.
Doh.

The first time I needed to use CSC after a crash, I didn't know about the 3 second delay but I thought I had it down at least 3 seconds.
The most recent time I thought I allowed for the three seconds but perhaps it wasn't.

Thanks for clarifying that I meant after a crash. After learning about holding down throttle 3 seconds after touchdown, that's all I ever do to shut down on normal situations.

Not really.

If you're "grabbing" at your drone, you might just wind up with a handful of prop. Also, as well you know, moving the drone or jerking it around while it is still powered up is not a good plan.

Use your hand to "capture" the landing leg and main body. Ease your thumb up on the main body for support. Easier on the drone and on your body.

AD

Maybe I just have graceful 'grab'.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Interesting constructive and amusing views on this thread, enjoyed reading them all, including all differences of view - good stuff, there is more than one way to do many things, and most of the time we're having fun and learning..[emoji106]

- Phantom P3A & P3P -

Reactions: jwmcgrath and tevek
Interesting constructive and amusing views on this thread, enjoyed reading them all, including all differences of view - good stuff, there is more than one way to do many things, and most of the time we're having fun and learning..[emoji106]

- Phantom P3A & P3P -
Agreed +1

A clarification please - I'm still on the P3p's - and often hand catch if the ground is sandy, dusty or gusting wind that might tip it over. And having no obstacle avoidance I can keep it in GPS mode, bring it down to hover just over my head, and grab the landing gear & shut down easy.
Not that I can't land it perfectly in ATTI if I need to.

So- on the P4 or P4P - do you HAVE to switch to ATTI mode in order to hand capture so the obstacle avoidance is off?
Or can you keep it in GPS and approach from the side to grab the landing gear?

Make sure when you (or anyone) catches you drone, you grab the upright portion of the landing strut. There are many videos on YouTube showing what happens when someone tries to catch from the bottom horizontal portion and the drone tries to right itself.

Reactions: Nighthawk5112
I think I have landed on the ground maybe once with any of my drones actually. Love catching them for one. Keeps any wind from blowing it over on the ground. Keeps any crap from flying up into motors possibly. Camera sits so low it can get knocked around if you hit a little unlevel spots too. Biggest reason is that I hand catch is so that I don't have to pick it up off the ground! LOL Just be careful and keep it just over your head and grab it by the vertical strut and pull left stick down for 3 seconds and your good.

Make sure when you (or anyone) catches you drone, you grab the upright portion of the landing strut. There are many videos on YouTube showing what happens when someone tries to catch from the bottom horizontal portion and the drone tries to right itself.
Thx- got that. Been hand catching for 2+yrs.

the question is -Do you have to turn off GPS- going to ATTI mode in order to hand catch and not have an issue with the Obstacle avoidance sensors.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing