descend and grab ?

Reaction score
Hi,

In some YouTube videos I see pilots descend their Phantom and let it hover at aprox. 5 ft over the ground, grab the landing support and cut the motors.

As I'm going through the manual I understand you need to hold the left stick inside down together with the RTH button pressed. This seems a two hand job to me so I can't figure out how they do that using one hand to grab the Phantom and the other on the stick to power off the motors ?

Any thoughts ...

No RTH button needed. And left stick *just down*. Not inside down. And that's *after* you grab the drone. Left stick stays normal before you grab the drone.

Correct, just like when you land and hold the left stick down to kill the motors.

Reactions: DronePilotOne
Hi,

In some YouTube videos I see pilots descend their Phantom and let it hover at aprox. 5 ft over the ground, grab the landing support and cut the motors.

As I'm going through the manual I understand you need to hold the left stick inside down together with the RTH button pressed. This seems a two hand job to me so I can't figure out how they do that using one hand to grab the Phantom and the other on the stick to power off the motors ?

Any thoughts ...

NO

use left stick down for 3 seconds only

the exact same thing you should do to stop motors when landing on ground.

never use the CSC command todo normal shutdown--can tip the quad over.

It's super easy to hand catch like this. Put it in ATTI mode and slide her right into your hand and post that on insta. Gets the people going.

Hi, Any reason for putting the P4P in ATTI mode instead of GPS ?

In GPS mode when you let off the sticks the drone will break immediately. In ATTI you can let off the sticks and the drone is going to keep moving with it's momentum for a certain distance. GPS mode is like wearing cleats, ATTI ice skates.

If I'm feeling it and the drone is responding well it's actually easier to hand catch in ATTI because you can pitch it straight at you, completely let go of that stick, and control the throttle and yaw and it coasts to your free hand. One hand to catch, one hand to bail, still controlling the drone in 3D, impress some strangers on the webz.

Like they said...
I have flown about 20 times since I got my P4P in January. I have never landed it on the ground. I have heard that hard landings can stress the copter, so I hand grab it every time. If you use GPS mode, it will stop about 5 feet from you (avoidance sensors). you can then just walk up to it and grab it (carefully). Or, put it in sports mode. It will still utilize GPS to maintain position, but it won't stop because avoidance has been turned off. you can carefully ease it back to you without having to walk up to it at all. Just remember in sports mode, a little throttle goes a long way!

I only hand catch if the terrain makes it too risky for landing, if you hand catch make sure your bird is over you head a bit and reach up and firmly grab it, you don't want to get too close to the props.
Best of all learn to land your bird, it's easy and gratifying to know you can land smoothly. For a smooth landing (p mode) don't putter around close to the ground (ground effects will make it squirrely) come in and commit slowly to the ground none stop from about 2 feet above your landing spot.

I only hand catch due to dirt and small pebbles where I fly from. If I'm feeling particularly lazy and don't want to get out of my flying chair, I bring it in, spin it around so the OA doesn't come into play, reach out and grab it.

I've never hand landed. I always just set her down on the surface I took off from. Very soft and easy.

The title of this thread kind of bothers me. "Descend and Grab".

It's more of a "Descend and Capture" that we're looking for here. No need to "grab" anything!"

AD (glad that's off my chest)

Like they said...
I have flown about 20 times since I got my P4P in January. I have never landed it on the ground. I have heard that hard landings can stress the copter, so I hand grab it every time. If you use GPS mode, it will stop about 5 feet from you (avoidance sensors). you can then just walk up to it and grab it (carefully). Or, put it in sports mode. It will still utilize GPS to maintain position, but it won't stop because avoidance has been turned off. you can carefully ease it back to you without having to walk up to it at all. Just remember in sports mode, a little throttle goes a long way!

I've only landed once in 20 or so flights, always hand grab. I would agree that stress could be caused by hard landings, plus hand grabbing is SO easy why not?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Speaking of CSC and shutting down, I've encountered some mishaps where my P3 is on the ground upside down. She just doesn't seem to want to shut off with CSC which ends up causing more damage than necessary, particularly to the props.
Any suggestions on how to shut off quickly?

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

It's super easy to hand catch like this. Put it in ATTI mode and slide her right into your hand and post that on insta. Gets the people going.

I disagree [emoji46], ie I prefer GPS mode hand recover landing let me explain then decide yourself:-
- firstly over Phantom facing away from you is best, particularly newer pilots, as controls left / right are the correct way around if urgent unexpected changes are needed at last minute (minimise risk of going in wrong direction in possibly stressful landing situation like wind)
- GPS mode hover will avoid wind gust moving aircraft and possibly causing pilot / Phantom damage or injury - just like normal landing is easier and safer with GPS vs ATTI mode.
Point is safe landing - one can do other modes of course, but when advising folk, I prefer giving best advice not how to look cool [emoji4]

- Phantom P3A & P3P -
Sent from my iPad Pro using PhantomPilots App

Reactions: AIRSPACE

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan