Damage assessment and help

Reaction score
Hey!
I crashed my Phantom 3 the other day :( I bought it a month ago from a guy who had owned it for 1.5 years.
I have three questions that I need help with.

1. Why the hell did my drone crash?
I was doing my first flight for the day. I was 384 m away and about 75 m up. I didnt feel any wind. I calibrated the compass a week earlier 300 km away in Sweden. Everything was looking fine, for 2 minutes, until I got an compass error message and gps-error message. A few seconds later, the drone went straight down.

2. How can I diagnose my drone?
The camera is severed from the drone but doesnt look broken. I did the imu-configuration without error.
The drone sends data to my controller/ipad and the rotors spinns nicely when I tell it to lift off. I dont have spare blades atm. The main body seems okay besides a broken leg. Nothing happens when I am trying to browse the drones images from my ipad.

3. Should I try to repair and how should I do it?
The arm that attached the camera is broken, as you can see, and so is the transfer cabel. Is it possible to reattach the camera or do I need to buy a new one? Am I stupid to even consider spending money on my drone after a fall like that?

All thoughts and advice are very welcome. Please tell me if you want more info.
cf805e25456b423c98673cb5ae93d223.jpg
c710dffec97b404bba9c456a40c5bf6d.jpg
231a29874815fefc40a14401b846740e.jpg
7389053785efb9f9ceb8703f8e042465.jpg

Hey!
I crashed my Phantom 3 the other day :( I bought it a month ago from a guy who had owned it for 1.5 years.

I was doing my first flight for the day. I was 384 m away and about 75 m up. I didnt feel any wind. I calibrated the compass a week earlier 300 km away in Sweden. Everything was looking fine, for 2 minutes, until I got an compass error message and gps-error message. A few seconds later, the drone went straight down.

The camera is severed from the drone but doesnt look broken. I did the imu-configuration without error.
The drone sends data to my controller/ipad and the rotors spinns nicely when I tell it to lift off. I dont have spare blades atm. The main body seems okay besides a broken leg. Nothing happens when I am trying to browse the drones images from my ipad.

The arm that attached the camera is broken, as you can see, and so is the transfer cabel. Is it possible to reattach the camera or do I need to buy a new one? Am I stupid to even consider spending money on my drone after a fall like that?

Yep sorry to see ,had good wack on that camera base ,if ok fixing things just get new mount for camera then again if lens cap got knocked off it might be no good,your drone is a p34k just in case you unaware you put p3 ,,nothing in djigo editor saved or sd card

Yep sorry to see ,had good wack on that camera base ,if ok fixing things just get new mount for camera then again if lens cap got knocked off it might be no good,your drone is a p34k just in case you unaware you put p3 ,,nothing in djigo editor saved or sd card
And looking at leg probly broken antena wire

Hey!

Also if you have look at clasified for sale posts here there some p34k parts for sale

Thanks for your replies. Is it likely that something more is broken when the yaw arm and ribbon cable is severed? I have now ordered these new parts, but I dont know if there are more problems that I just cant see.

Thanks for your replies. Is it likely that something more is broken when the yaw arm and ribbon cable is severed? I have now ordered these new parts, but I dont know if there are more problems that I just cant see.
Hi milion dollar question,,hopefuly not but never can tell till reasembly,probly better it snapped of less chance of frying internal board,,best of luck

David,
if you're still looking for help I can fix that.

I replaced my ribbon cable and yaw arm today. It was not fun, but more fun than watching my drone drop 80 m. I believe I got everything in its place. When starting it up, the camera rotates. Hard to say if it rotates exactly like it should, but it very well might. Two problems though. 1. The camera is like 45 degrees off, pointing to one of the drones legs. The yaw arm is not stuck. Could I have made a mistake when replacing it? 2. "No image transmission" says the dji pilot. I can tilt the camera from the controller and that data gets to the dji pilot. The drone flies as it should. I bought the repair kit on ebay for $60. Maybe that was a mistake. What to do?

And your logs as requested to assist you with your first question?

David Svanholm did you ever get this fixed? My drone is doing the same thing after a crash. I replaced ribbon yaw arm landing gear and now does the 45 degree angle like yours. Someone told me my yaw motor shaft was bent so I bought a new motor and installed and it still does the same thing. Any help you could give would be appreciated.

Omg I had the exact same thing a few months ago with the same damage.

Good news -- DJI repaired the whole thing for $120 (and it wasn't covered under any warranty)

Bad news-- they sent me a refurbished unit. Even the camera wasn't my own !!

But it flew great. However I did put it on a litchi mission and the camera went mental but it could have been the wind as it was at 90 meters and the wind said 15mph but obviously the higher you go, the more powerful the wind is. However I did pick it up in my room and the gimble vibrated a few seconds then corrected itself so I have to test it a few times when the weather is better. Or I may have to send it back if its the same.

Video to the vibration during flight

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

But to be honest it did fly manually with no problems like this

But send it for repair. Really would be same price as mine. But do be prepared to get a refurbished unit back. Not that I mind as it looked like new

If I am out of warranty I will get in contact with drone nerds, they are dji certified vendor and have an outstanding customer services.

Reactions: Neon Euc
Hey!

not sure where you are located, (or anyone else who may have similar issue)
but i am in MN in case you need this fixed.
looks like an easy fix and i do have parts in stock.
usually yaw arm and cable replacement is in ~$130 vicinity.

i've done over 1500 phantoms, including over 600 gimbals in the past 2 1/2 years ;)

Sure. Can u tell me how to get them Pharm?
See post #2. I know it's an old thread now and you may have already figured out why it went down. I just like to look at the logs of those that fall from the sky. Hope all is well now.

Iam wounding if it's a calibration problem because it go through the warm up when starting up but then point 45 degrees to the side and stays there. I can make the pitch up and down works fine. Can Anyone Help?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan