Custom Paint

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone has ever put a customized paint job on their P3A or P3P. I mean I know you'll hardly ever see it but I think it would still be a nice way to personalize you're quad copter. BTW if you have, I'd love to see pics.

Reactions: Xorge
Reactions: Joao Carlos
Also share how hard is it to apply. My skills with stickers are below the desirsble, I just paid $15 for Best Buy to install a Zagg shield on my ipad and Im ashamed of it :(

Reactions: JDGecko
Also share how hard is it to apply. My skills with stickers are below the desirsble, I just paid $15 for Best Buy to install a Zagg shield on my ipad and Im ashamed of it :(
So right there with you! My phone case came with a protective screen.........which is not on my phone. I can replace windows but correctly placing decals is not in my skill set.

LOL, that's what kept me from getting one. The carbon fiber dipped shells look pretty nice, maybe this winter I will send mine off to get rehab.

Wow! That Dark Red CF looks amazing! But would you send it disassembled or let them do it all?

Wow! That Dark Red CF looks amazing! But would you send it disassembled or let them do it all?
It states that you have to send them a fully functional phantom, so still assembled. Then pay to do the landing gear, and then each of your batteries.

Edit: Then dye some propellers black.

Did you see the costs? $400 for the whole thing... thats off my limits. Looks pro though.

Dark Black CF would get you laid every time you flew it in public. ;)

I wonder if anyone has ever put a customized paint job on their P3A or P3P. I mean I know you'll hardly ever see it but I think it would still be a nice way to personalize you're quad copter. BTW if you have, I'd love to see pics.

P2V Painted Black
vlcsnap-2015-02-16-20h22m39s70.png

I dont know but those stickers looks kind of toyish like some kids wrap their nintendo DS with some dragon stickers. I would be more than happy if the phantom3 has a matte grey finish, more like a tool. Thats why i can never understand why ppl say the props with white tips look "sick" or "bad ***", they do not. The more decals and pin stripes it has the more it look like a toy to me. All those RTF quads on the market look like toys, the yuneec tops everything here with its UFO or spacecraft look. So i would choose just a grey and matte plasti dip finish to give it a nice matte and tool like finish. The reason i dont paint is the warranty and the fact that you would have to paint battery and VPS as well and plasti dip will give you more thickness and im not sure if this is a problem or not, maybe the rubber coating will prevent the two shells from snapping in properly.

Reactions: scootrkitz
I would be more than happy if the phantom3 has a matte grey finish, more like a tool.
I've created a vector file for a P3 skin that can be cut with any vinyl color. Some of the solid colors would keep a neat clean look... or if you like graphics there is conforming, printable, waterproof vinyl you can print a design on and cut it. Not too hard to create the cad file & custom graphics if you're halfway proficient with photoshop and autocad or other cad software. Clean and simple or art decco... Your imagination set's the limits. At least with vinyl you can remove it. Here's a couple of examples I did with a "rustic" US Flag & a "grunge" Arizona State Flag. (I also did the "bands", RC skin and battery decals).
sample with us flag 72dpi.jpg
sample with az flag 72dpi.jpg

Last edited:
I happen to own a high end auto body shop and noticed there seemed to be a lack of opportunities to personalize these other than wraps. The wraps I've seen have a difficult task given the shape and look ok from some angles but lacking from others. I've purchased and received two new shells and have landing gear and vps modules on the way. I was planning to explore the feasibility of offering a few different services. First I have acquired real carbon fiber weave and can reinforce the motor mounts internally utilizing raw carbon fiber weave and two part adhesives designed to adhere to the plastic the body she'll is produced from. By doing so it would be extremely strong, add a minimum of weight, and be invisible when assembled. The other services I'm hoping to offer is refinishing utilizing high end commercial acrylic urethane products and possibly coupled with hydro-printing. The art is to use the correct products at a minimum film thickness so they adhere correctly, retain all gloss and color properties, and add a minimum of weight. I felt that an exchange program would keep the cost down so whether it's reinforcing the body or refinishing it the labor to disassemble isn't a cost incurred and the turn around time is kept to a minimum. So far I can say the reinforcing would be less than $100 shipping included and the refinishing would average around $200 with hydro printing and extremely special colors a bit more. Both of course on an exchange basis. I would appreciate all input everyone here can provide. Definitely not something that will provide a living but something that I feel could help further the hobby and be fun at the same time.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl