Custom Made ND filter no added weight Updated with Comparison Photos

Really excited about getting the ND gels, thanks Dataway, they fit perfect!

Have you thought about circular polarized material?

@Flyboy - I did not see you conversation request but I am all out of filters at the moment and am making a trip to try and procure more material to produce another batch of filters... I will keep this thread updated with my findings after I return from my meeting today..
Hi data
I've also sent you a conversation request. It was regarding the 2 sets you've put to one side for delivery to the UK. You were going to find out the postage cost. Any luck?

Cheers

Really excited about getting the ND gels, thanks Dataway, they fit perfect!

Have you thought about circular polarized material?

I have an put an update in this thread #158 but here is my response about CP:

I attempted to use a circular polarizing gel and could not get it to line up successfully that would require a CP holder as you do not want to handle the GEL too much especially when you drop it into the Phantom 3 lens cover...

Reactions: Fplvert
Ok, again. First one with two filters ISO 100 4K variable shutter speeds. 30,60,100,120,50,30

and one filter. Again, ISO100 4K variable shutter speeds. This time ranging from 30,60,100,120,200,240,400. This one is still uploading to Youtube. Give it some time for HD

I'm thinking 1/200 was representative of the day. Overcast. Now I'm thinking that depending on what shutter speed you want, One will be enough for overcast, evening and morning. Two for mid day sunshine. Both videos are flat. In LOG mode. No post processing

Last edited:
Ok, again. First one with two filters ISO 100 4K variable shutter speeds. 30,60,100,120,50,30

and one filter. Again, ISO100 4K variable shutter speeds. This time ranging from 30,60,100,120,200,240,400. This one is still uploading to Youtube. Give it some time for HD

I'm thinking 1/200 was representative of the day. Overcast. Now I'm thinking that depending on what shutter speed you want, One will be enough for overcast, evening and morning. Two for mid day sunshine.

I would have to agree the single filter shooting at 1/200 is a great representation of the day but all the footage is AWESOME....on my iMac with 5K display the edge details you are getting on those trees is simply amazing ... great job and no "jello" effect whatsoever

Reactions: Dapering
Tried a flight in 20-25 mph wind to check jello usings Dataway's ND filter. Judge for yourself. Also that camera lens covers works nice Data.

Perfect. I really look forward testing those ND filters at the beach.

Very nice Seadog you are a brave soul venturing into those wind speeds....the video looks great...and glad you liked the lens cover that is a great 3D printed material and no worries about scratching your lens anymore :)

I would have to agree the single filter shooting at 1/200 is a great representation of the day but all the footage is AWESOME....on my iMac with 5K display the edge details you are getting on those trees is simply amazing ... great job and no "jello" effect whatsoever
I'm pleased with these. Again, thanks. Looks like 1/200 with one filter is what works on a cloudy day. I wish I had more sun to test two. In time.

I tried to work in the yaw so we could see this.
Yep, thanks for those tests. It shows that the ND filters work as intended, along with a much slower shutter speed, to eliminate the digital break up that occurs if you move or yaw too quickly - one of the things things that bugs me about the P3 camera.

Hello All I have returned from my adventure to Universal Pictures in Los Angeles and had a great visit...From our discussion and testing there is no difference in the clarity or quality between the two Gels and I have to trust this gentleman I met as he has been in the film industry for 30 years and has won a couple of Oscars...we had a great time flying and he was absolutely blown away by the quality the P3P put out as we flew around the back lot of Universal taking some comparative video shots then took those into his editing studio to review on his 100 Inch Samsung 5K monitors .. WOW.. the footage looked spectacular and his exact words were " I can't believe this footage came from that little 4K camera..." so i think that definitely says something about the P3P capability. Oh yeah the filters.....HAHAHA... I was able to procure only a small piece of the Tiffen GEL he had and can possibly produce a couple sets of filters ...BUT next week he promised me a package of after cut gel material and as he saw the size of the filters I was creating he said it should be enough to produce at least 20 filters or more and more Gel material will follow soon. We calculated the cost of the Wratten 2 gel by square inch and he agreed to sell it to me at what my supplier was selling the Wratten for so no price increase to you guys, filters will still be $5 per set shipped .. :) .. and I also received a email about the Wratten 2 Gel I had on back order and I should be receiving a couple of 12" x 12" sheets next week, so the filter production will start very soon....all that have contacted me I have a list and once i have Gel in hand I will reach out to you all individually but there are quite a few so be patient with me ... thats all for now have a great Memorial Day Weekend and to all the Veterans out there a huge "THANK YOU " for you service to our country we are all indebted to you...

Thank you so much Dataway! I can't wait for my turn to buy the gel. Hopefully I am not too far down the list. :) I am so thankful for this service you are offering us! So awesome!

I recently purchased some -3 stop ND Gel material and setup my CNC machine with a drag knife and cut a filter to fit exactly into the removable lens cover that is on the Phantom 3.

It is raining here at the moment so have not had a chance to take it out for a test but will post comparison pictures here when i am able....

For now here are some pics of the filter and of it installed on my camera....

View attachment 19309 View attachment 19310 View attachment 19311

Hi Dataway, I am interested in your products, would you please send me info and order form/PayPal to [email protected] at your convenience, Thanks

HI Dataway
can you please put me on the waiting list for a set of ND filters.
It's "Flyboy1717"; there is another 'Flyboy' member on the forum.
Please also send me a private conversation request / private message to let me know how to order / pay you.
Thanks!!!

My gels arrived here in the Highlands of Scotland at 9am this morning. Very impressed with the results of the filter and the speed of delivery. Many thanks, Dataway.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing