Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Current best FPV setup

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Discussion' started by tjlt123, May 27, 2015.

1. tjlt123

Hi,
    first post but have been reading around here for a while - great resource.
    As I have seen there are so many threads with this question, however I couldn't find any that were that recent. Simply wondering what really is the best FPV setup (easy setup, decent range, good picture, etc.) Have seen the new Lilliput 339/dw and wondered how it faired with the popular black pearl monitor. Also 600mw vs 250mw. I live in a pretty hilly area so not looking to go that far but just want decent picture for upto 1km.
    Many thanks in advance.

2. jason

I would look at either the Boscam or Black Pearl monitors as Lilliput is over priced. For FPV you need a monitor, transmitter, mini iOSD and plug n play cable for which ever TX you buy.

tjlt123 likes this.
  3. tjlt123

In terms of antennae, are the fpvlr ones really worth the cash, or will I be just fine with the spironet ones?

4. Hughie

Welcome to the form tjlt123.

Depends on how far you want to fly. I only go to 400-500m but prefer the FPVLR setup over Spironets as this is a little bit too far for the spiros, and anyway the FPVLRs just improve the quality. The 4.5 turn helix can do at least 1KM with a 25mw (twenty five mw) transmitter. If you are only interested in 200-300m, the spiros are a great solution.

5. tjlt123

Thanks very much. So you reckon with a 25mw transmitter + fpvlr antennas I could get at least 1km without too much interference?

6. Hughie

I did this as worst case test. Not many people use 25mw vTxs even though it is the maximum allowed in Europe. I cant say that there was no interference at all, but is was flyable and I was surprised. Especially since the Spiros with a 600mw Tx only went 750m on the same route.

I personally think that 25mw is hard to work with. It lacks the ability to push through transient obstacles (like a tree branch or the gimbal when you are turning) the only reason to recommend 25mw is if you are in a country where that is the legal limit and you want to stick to legal limits. That 1Km I saw was with the aircraft flying away from me with the antenna at the back of the aircraft. As I turned 180 it got noisy until I got nearer to the vRx. I would definitely recommend the FPVLR helix 4.5 turn.

7. tjlt123

I
    Thanks. Do you know of any UK dealers that stock the FPVLRs or can you only buy direct?

8. Hughie

I bought directly from their site. Delivery takes at least 3 weeks.

Where are you in the UK. There is a location field in the profile. It can help when you ask questions to know the context of your geographic position.

Edit :This is what I currently use for a P2, 5.8Ghz FPV. Check your plug types before ordering.

http://fpvlr.com/store/product/5-8ghz-premium-combo/

9. tjlt123

I think I'll get that.
    Btw which transmitter and monitor do you use?

10. Hughie

Before you do, I suggest you wait for others to chip in to see if they think there is anything better than FPVLR. Just leave it a day or two and get a more balanced answer. I stand by my recommendation however, and am very impressed with their kit.

A common vTx and monitor to use is an Immersion RC 600mw and a Black Pearl 7 channel (not 32 channel) monitor. Again there are others out there, but this seems to be a popular combo. You should be aware of the legal limits in your country.

tjlt123 likes this.
  11. landmannnn

If you ebay helical antenna there is a Polish seller, i bought a 3.5 turn which gives a great compromise between distance and directionality for £20 or so. Then you just need a couple of cloverleafs, provided you get the right polarisation there are plenty about.

tjlt123 likes this.
  12. thestone11

If you are thinking about within 300m radius, blue beam ultras are solid performer! Anything further, I recommended helical antenna.

My setup give crystal clear video feed passed 1.3km and my radio ran out of range. I am sure I can go pass 2km no problem.

Here is my setup:

Immersion RC 600mw transmitter
    Blue beam ultra air screw on bird
    Black pearl monitor with Aomway helical antenna and immersion RC patch antenna

tjlt123 likes this.