FPV connection issues w/ Phantom 2 + Zenmuse H4D gimbal

Reaction score
Hello,

My Phantom 2 has been having issues recently with the FPV signal. I'm not able to get any visuals even though all my components are connected and are reading each other. The flight data is displaying fine on my monitor but I'm not getting a video feed. Here's my current setup:

- DJI Phantom 2 w/ Zenmuse H4-3D Gimbal
- Immersion RC 600mw 5.8GHz Transmitter
- Plug and play cable for Immersion RC unit (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LDX65OS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
- DJI iOSD Mini
- Flysight 7 Ch F-brand Black Pearl monitor
- Fatshark ImmersionRC SpiroNet 5.8GHz RHCP Antenna TX RX Set (SMA male)

Another issue is that my GoPro files have started to have lots of video static on them ever since my Phantom 2's signal has started to become compromised. I ordered another plug and play cable and replaced the gimbal's ribbon cable so I'm hoping those will help, but has anyone else had these issues before? Flying a Hero 3+. I've had no issues in the past until recently. Thanks!

Last edited:
I had similar on my P2, i think it was the connector ribbon that went into the GoPro's USB port for the FPV signal, ive just swapped that out for the type that plugs into the rear of the GoPro, test flight seemed fine, havent had any GoPro vids that showed video static tho. My main issue now is a random gimbal twitch which im hoping to test tomorrow using a coin to balance it.

I had similar on my P2, i think it was the connector ribbon that went into the GoPro's USB port for the FPV signal, ive just swapped that out for the type that plugs into the rear of the GoPro, test flight seemed fine, havent had any GoPro vids that showed video static tho. My main issue now is a random gimbal twitch which im hoping to test tomorrow using a coin to balance it.

Where would I purchase the rear type cable you mentioned? And what port does that connect to? The accessory port?

Hello,

My Phantom 2 has been having issues recently with the FPV signal. I'm not able to get any visuals even though all my components are connected and are reading each other. The flight data is displaying fine on my monitor but I'm not getting a video feed. Here's my current setup:

- DJI Phantom 2 w/ Zenmuse H4-3D Gimbal
- Immersion RC 600mw 5.8GHz Transmitter
- Plug and play cable for Immersion RC unit (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LDX65OS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
- DJI iOSD Mini
- Flysight 7 Ch F-brand Black Pearl monitor
- Fatshark ImmersionRC SpiroNet 5.8GHz RHCP Antenna TX RX Set (SMA male)

Another issue is that my GoPro files have started to have lots of video static on them ever since my Phantom 2's signal has started to become compromised. I ordered another plug and play cable and replaced the gimbal's ribbon cable so I'm hoping those will help, but has anyone else had these issues before? Flying a Hero 3+. I've had no issues in the past until recently. Thanks!

None of the cables whether it be the ribbon cable on the gimbal or the plug n play cable would cause the GoPro's video files to have static. Take a minute or two to think about what I just said. If all FPV system were not attached and you still had static in your video where did it come from. Of course it's the camera.

Now if you are receiving the telemetry from the iOSD but not camera you could have a damaged ribbon cable causing the problem or the camera isn't set to NTSC or PAL so it doesn't match the monitors video input. But if the Hero 3+ is the black and you update the firmware to v 3.0 you are simply not getting video from the cameras USB output. Version 3.0 block the video from the cameras USB port and you would need to rollback to version 2.0. Let me know if this is what you have done.

None of the cables whether it be the ribbon cable on the gimbal or the plug n play cable would cause the GoPro's video files to have static. Take a minute or two to think about what I just said. If all FPV system were not attached and you still had static in your video where did it come from. Of course it's the camera.

Now if you are receiving the telemetry from the iOSD but not camera you could have a damaged ribbon cable causing the problem or the camera isn't set to NTSC or PAL so it doesn't match the monitors video input. But if the Hero 3+ is the black and you update the firmware to v 3.0 you are simply not getting video from the cameras USB output. Version 3.0 block the video from the cameras USB port and you would need to rollback to version 2.0. Let me know if this is what you have done.

I figured it was mostly a camera issue. I was just gauging to see if this has happened to anyone else. This has also happened when using a GoPro Hero 4 so there could be something at play with the gimbal system.

My camera has been at v3.03 for a while with no issues and it's only been within the past few months that this issue has popped up. I will try downgrading and see if this helps but I've had this camera for a while so it could just be because it's getting old. Just replaced the ribbon cable and the camera is always set to NTSC.

I figured it was mostly a camera issue. I was just gauging to see if this has happened to anyone else. This has also happened when using a GoPro Hero 4 so there could be something at play with the gimbal system.

My camera has been at v3.03 for a while with no issues and it's only been within the past few months that this issue has popped up. I will try downgrading and see if this helps but I've had this camera for a while so it could just be because it's getting old. Just replaced the ribbon cable and the camera is always set to NTSC.

While you could have problem with the ribbon cable that attaches to the GoPro but since you are using the GoPro 3+ black with v3.0 that firmware version is blocking the video out from the cameras USB port. Late last year into early this year many here have updated their firmware for the 3+ black only to find that they had no video an once they rollback to v2.0 the problem was resolved.

This is the link for v2.0
Drivers filed under: GoPro HERO3+ Camera Firmware
This is a zip file and once it's unzipped download it to SD the same way you would any GoPro firmware. Also if you have Hero 4 black there is new firmware for Protunes that increases the ISO an also gives the camera shutter speeds for the first time but only for Protunes.

While you could have problem with the ribbon cable that attaches to the GoPro but since you are using the GoPro 3+ black with v3.0 that firmware version is blocking the video out from the cameras USB port. Late last year into early this year many here have updated their firmware for the 3+ black only to find that they had no video an once they rollback to v2.0 the problem was resolved.

This is the link for v2.0
Drivers filed under: GoPro HERO3+ Camera Firmware
This is a zip file and once it's unzipped download it to SD the same way you would any GoPro firmware. Also if you have Hero 4 black there is new firmware for Protunes that increases the ISO an also gives the camera shutter speeds for the first time but only for Protunes.

I found a 2.0 firmware download and it solved the issue of the static/noise on the image. I'm still not able to get a video signal into my Black Pearl monitor however.

I found a 2.0 firmware download and it solved the issue of the static/noise on the image. I'm still not able to get a video signal into my Black Pearl monitor however.

Have you made sure that both the camera and monitor are both on either NTSC or PAL??

This is the one i used ... DJI Zenmuse H3-3D GoPro Hero Connector Upgrade | Inside FPV
Tested out to a mile with no issues :)

That connector had nothing to do it your ability to maintain video connect at a mile out. A USB connector and two pieces of wire could do the same thing. The 30 pin connector is just a convenience and no more.

New Gopro Hero 3 USB 90 Degree Connector to AV Video Output Cable FPV for Hero 3

Where do some of you guys come up with these fantastic hair brain ideas.

Have you made sure that both the camera and monitor are both on either NTSC or PAL??

Everything is set to NTSC.

Side note, I noticed my ImmersionRC unit used to have a light that turned on once it was being powered by the drone but now that's no longer the case. Do you think the unit is fried? I'm going to be taking my Phantom apart today to see if anything internal is causing the lack of video feed.

Everything is set to NTSC.

Side note, I noticed my ImmersionRC unit used to have a light that turned on once it was being powered by the drone but now that's no longer the case. Do you think the unit is fried? I'm going to be taking my Phantom apart today to see if anything internal is causing the lack of video feed.

If you ever powered up the P2 without an antenna on the TX that could be the cause of no video but iOSD telemetry would also be missing. The same would be the case if L2 in front of the cam socket were shorted out.
2015-01-21_184122_zpsac023198.jpg
Shorted L2 main board.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers