Crystal Sky Monitor

Reaction score
Is the 5.5' screen on the p4p+ a Crystal Sky monitor like the 7.85'' that is expected to be released this year?

Is the 5.5' screen on the p4p+ a Crystal Sky monitor like the 7.85'' that is expected to be released this year?
The specs tell us that the 7.85 will have twice the brightness, is ofcourse larger, and has the flexibility of being usable on current and also future drones. It is safe to assume the integrated model is the less costly option and also readily available.

Last edited:
Thanks I've also read that some are not happy with the "Here" as opposed to "Google" on the fixed 5.5 p+ screen .They also complain that the smaller sized screen becomes too clustered and is difficult to see? Do you know if the 7.85will have Google or be another Here?

Thanks I've also read that some are not happy with the "Here" as opposed to "Google" on the fixed 5.5 p+ screen .They also complain that the smaller sized screen becomes too clustered and is difficult to see? Do you know if the 7.85will have Google or be another Here?
This is not known currently (as dji does not share such information) but I would personally be surprised if there is much difference in the software. But I certainly do no know for sure.

Sounds like a winner. I'll bet they fly off the shelves. The removable aspect and the ability to be used as a video player on big screen TVs make it more desirable for me.

Last edited:
THe rumored price is $800 if proven to be so I don't they will be flying off shelves.
Wouldn't be too bad of a price if it could be used as a FPV racing groundstation

If they don't sell at that price they'll have to lower the price. $599 is more likely to draw serious interest if they can sell them for a reasonable profit at that price.. They don't want to dust them off periodically on the shelves.

899 is a helluva lot for a single use android device.

If it's 300 for the 5.5" then I bet the 7" is 400-450. (or at least hope because anything over that is sorta nuts)

It's not marked Crystalsky but has many similarities.
Here Maps is not an issue unique to that screen.
DJI formerly used Google Maps but recently changed to Here Maps for the Android version of the Go app (not sure what the Apple version uses).
Here Maps is inferior to Google Maps but this isn't a big problem because the map is a very little used feature for most flyers.
I've used it on two flights in the last three years.

The Crystal sky unit will have its own battery. It will be easily removable from the RC to use as a video player for 4K videos on big screen tv's.
That sounds great. You pointed out in another post that 4 K was more of a hassle to put on you tube etc. The video player feature sounds less time consuming and hassle free. I like that. I agree that $800 would be a deal breaker for a lot of DJI users. I believe it was originally designed for the upper level Inspire 2 .

Last edited:
I was just doing a shoot yesterday of a very large house in Park City Utah. I had to wait until the warmest time of the day (15 degrees Fahrenheit) and then once I had used 3 batteries, on the fourth the iPad screen started to glitch like the liquid crystal in the display was freezing I think eventually the battery couldn't deliver enough current and the iPad shut down. I tried finishing the shoot with my iPhone that had been in my pocket the whole time, by that time it was 3 degrees outside and my iPhone started doing the same thing. luckily I got the job done (barely) but I was thinking about how much I wished I had the crystal sky monitor right then. To me the projected $800 price would be well worth it. I bought my iPad Pro 9.7" strictly for flying and I paid more than that. I know the iPad COULD do more, but for me it does not.

If DJI can do a 7 inch 2000 nit display for a cold environment with GPS and built in battery for less than $1000 I would be very happy and surprised. But then again some of the stuff DJI does for the price is awesome.

Too bad all of these are crippled from putting any other apps like Litchi on them.

If DJI can do a 7 inch 2000 nit display for a cold environment with GPS and built in battery for less than $1000 I would be very happy and surprised. But then again some of the stuff DJI does for the price is awesome.
I was just doing a shoot yesterday of a very large house in Park City Utah. I had to wait until the warmest time of the day (15 degrees Fahrenheit) and then once I had used 3 batteries, on the fourth the iPad screen started to glitch like the liquid crystal in the display was freezing I think eventually the battery couldn't deliver enough current and the iPad shut down. I tried finishing the shoot with my iPhone that had been in my pocket the whole time, by that time it was 3 degrees outside and my iPhone started doing the same thing. luckily I got the job done (barely) but I was thinking about how much I wished I had the crystal sky monitor right then. To me the projected $800 price would be well worth it. I bought my iPad Pro 9.7" strictly for flying and I paid more than that. I know the iPad COULD do more, but for me it does not.

Reactions: Langstonius
I personally don't use litchi, but I am sure there will be someone who will gain root access to the device. Android devices have a very active community of developers working on rooting new devices all the time. I am sure there will be a workaround eventually.

XDA-Developers Android Forums

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl