Crowdfund hacker to build custom firmware?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Andrew, based on your findings, what do you think is the best approach? Modify what they have or build software from scratch to get what we'really trying to accomplish?
many things yet realized , like any different Lens to X5 or X5RAW, any motor to Inspire or Phantom... and other , but we have a small dificukties with height restriction.. work in a progress.

And, when this happens, the FAA (and regulators in other countries) will just have to ban UAVs all together. They'll simply have no other choice. It'll be a sad day if it happens.
Without reading the hundreds of responses to this, what about homebuilt sUAV's? No need to jailbreak them because, well, they're homebuilt from disparate off the shelf parts. And all the FAA has to say and has said about homebuilts is, well, nothing.
They have no Geo Fencing capability because, once again, they're homebuilt. So jailbreaking a Phantom will be about as much a violation as someone jailbreaking an iPhone which has happened and caused no consternation on the part of the FCC.

Apps can be "modified" and side-loaded in iOS without jailbreaking the iOS device, really easily actually.
This would be amazing to have!!! Sounds like a fantasy, but anything is possible. I can't offer anything besides moral support. I'm sure the real brains are working on it all the time. Thanks for all that you guys are doing and will do!!

I have my own domain and can setup a private forum for developers/tinkerers that are working on this. If folks are interested, let me know and I will set something up today. This would also include a FTP repository if needed as well as forum.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: jefffromearth
. As a Marine, I am livid that a Chinese company is dictating how and where I must fly!

Welcome to the global economy. Everything is made everywhere. P.S. I appreciate the service you have done for us.
Should we migrate this to a private area somehow so DJI isn't watching as we work and closing holes ?

If their engineering actually looked at this forum, I would be shocked. It's only front-line marketing, social, and support. And maybe Brendan. Let them watch.
I can include a hidden discussion forum along with the others on my website. .
Probably not a bad idea at all!

When we get this off the ground, we'll figure out the best place for it. Right now, consider it a recruitment drive and some talented folks exploring what's possible. Once we learn more and we figure out what we can do, we'll put it somewhere suitable.
Count me in for $500

Very generous! Thanks!
I'll donate.

Thank you!
Willing to donate if/when needed.

Thank you!

EDIT:

As for features we should aim for, let's start with simple things:
  • Disable GEO.
  • Load any firmware version. Remove mandatory updates.
  • Disable upload of any flight data to DJI servers.
  • Channel hack.
  • .DAT file upload to FLYXXX.DAT (much better than healthy drones).
  • Etc.
I am not saying we have to do those first but it's a suggestion. As for altitude limit removal and NFZs, I want to be sure we are not serving to enable people to do irresponsible things. This should be a "responsible" hack. Not sure exactly how we do that yet. For example, removing the DC NFZ in my mind would be a bad idea. We can, for example, reduce it to 5NM like other NFZs so people in NoVA who want to fly in their backyard can do so.

Finally, I am not advocating anyone break the regulations they are subject to. Personally, I want to disable GEO because I shoot professionally and already get all the authorizations from the FAA and local entities and don't want GEO to ground my birds because it is half baked and broken.

Last edited:
I'm in!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What about Slack channel and Asana.

they are free and quite good. setting private domain for this is kind overkill i would say

Reactions: ianwood
Lots of feature requests so far, but what should also be fixed is dB+ for CE version. I dont think they actually made FCC and EU version, must be same hw and fw limits. Probably possible to gain more range for FCC version too.

You give me fcc i donate. That's alla for me

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

My personal request would include:

1. Ability to fly 60mph/26.9mps (The FAA allows our A/C to fly up to 100mph.).
2. The 32 Channel Mod.
3. Adjustable dm settings for both Transmit & Video.

Reactions: jasonb777
I would like to have the height limit to be removed before spring. As of now, we're going to Africa to do some ministry work with our church. There's not supposed to be any restrictions on where were going. I don't want it to ruin the trip
I hope my biggest problem will be charging batteries.:p

I think the first step might be to setup a wiki with all the dev info that's been collected so far. Build a hardware list, figure out exactly what's running where, attack the existing firmware file, and go from there...

Unfortunately I've had a very busy week and the weekend is no better, so won't be until Monday that I'll get a chance to start really looking at this stuff in detail.

Or we can chip in to buy a P3P for George Hotz aka. geohot and just wait for him to rape it :)

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Two features are important for me, and i think these two are crucial in overall:
1. No NFZ/GEO
2. FCC mode enabled always. (stronger signal = more safety)

Last edited:
At first I didn't think it would be necessary but the think about it, it might be a good idea about a private area. I am willing either way. I'm just so glad we found other people who are fed up enough to do something about it.

I will put things together and post details here when ready sometime this evening for sure.

I like the idea about leaving it here - setting up another area / backup area is certainly a good plan as well. I would LIKE to see DJI respond here. That's Linux code - it should follow one of the several open source licensing schema out there (not sure which this distro follows). DJI is likely in violation of those agreements since they haven't opened the code.

DJI can do a couple of things 1) ignore it 2) support it or 3) get hostile. Will be interesting to see what conspires.

Edit: It's GPL3, the distro is here.

When the phantom 4 comes out it would be cool to "jailbreak" the phantom 3. I would be more daring with it if it wasn't my primary bird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka