Crazy drone crash!

Reaction score
OK so here's what happened. A couple days ago my son was over at my place helping with a building project I'm doing, well it was around lunch time so we were inside and watching some quad vidoes on YouTube when all of a sudden we hearf this crash sound outside my front door. We looked at each other like wtf was that lol. Went outside and there was a drone sitting on my front patio (its like a 10 foot by 15 foot patio area made out of those decorative paver blocks). It wasn't damaged all that bad one landing gear was broke one prop broke and the GPS antanae broke loose from it's mount. The odd thing is I live in a very small town and then I live out in the country out of the town, a few houses around but not many it's mostly alfalfa and Chile fields all over just hundreds and hundreds of acres of that. I only know one other person in town(I'm sure there are more but it can't be many) that has a drone, I've never seen kids at the parks even flying little toy quads, nothing nor ever heard any other anywhere I've been around town flying just the one other guy I know and he has a phantom . So I can't fir the life of me figure out where this thing came from lol it didn't have a camera on it but had a pretty big battery, it's fairly large a little larger than my phantom. Now here's the kicker lol after a couple hours I stopped and thought "wait a minute I wonder if I caught it crashing on my security system"(I put in some security cameras a month or so ago and totally forgot lmao) so I went and looked back at the recorded footage off security system and sure enough it caught it haha it fell so fast it shot past the cameras field of view almost instantly. So I made a vid to share on here with you guys. Now I've never even opened a video editing program so I had to find one and try to figure out how it works lol so I think I finally got it and got it figured out how to post it. Please dint be too critical it's my first attempt at video editing so don't be too critical haha it shows crash at normal speed then at the slowest I could slow it down too something like (.126 of normal speed if I recall correct) hope I get it put up here and you all like it lol

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

And here's a pic of it next to my phantom for size comparison

wais5c.jpg

Last edited:
Wow what a story, so weird your watching them videos and one falls out of the sky haha, not seen the video yet as on my phone and it says requires flash! So what's your next step in finishing it's owner?
Think I'd just wait for a knock at the door.
Thanks for sharing
And I can't believe you both share the same colour props 2 black and red weird that!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Squirrel!
Wow what a story, so weird your watching them videos and one falls out of the sky haha, not seen the video yet as on my phone and it says requires flash! So what's your next step in finishing it's owner?
Think I'd just wait for a knock at the door.
Thanks for sharing
And I can't believe you both share the same colour props 2 black and red weird that!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using PhantomPilots mobile app
It's hard to tell with the pic but mine are orange those are red but definitely look close to the same in the pic huh lol I put flyers up and checked around here nobody says it's theirs, our main grocery store here has a bulletin board where people post things for sell or yard sales etc so put flyers there. I'll put forth a reasonable effort then I guess it's mine idk lol

I'd post a few flyers around the area. I mean really, think if the same would have happened with your quad, you'd want whoever found it to do whatever they could to get it back to you.
But that's just me... [emoji2]
Good luck!

S5 tap'n

Was that pic taken before it crashed?
No it was after I took a pic next to my phantom to show size scale. If your scratching your head cuz it doesn't look all that damaged it wasn't damaged all that bad, which surprised me once I saw the security camera footage cuz it fell very fast. When I first saw it I thought it fell from relatively low cuz of lack of much damage but the camera footage shows a very fast crash. All that appeared damaged was one landing gear broke one prop blade broke and the GPS antanae came out of it's mount I just glued the gear back and prop together for the pic so the thing looked cooler next to the phantom lol it may have damage to esc's or fcb or battery may be nuked etc but I haven't tried to determine that I'll wait to see if I can find owner. I took another pic of it by itself that I used to put on flyers.

Is there a registration number on it?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
Nope no numbers or anything like that didn't have a camera on it either, if had a camera with an SD card I could look at footage and maybe determine owner but nope no camera no numbers

Fly your Phantom on the spot with lights. They'll see the light of a fellow pilot and start searching for it :)

That suks for the owner of it! Anyway to grab the flight logs off it to see where it took off from maybe? Otherwise flyers in the area might turn up the owner. Good luck and glad nobody got hurt!

Fly your Phantom on the spot with lights. They'll see the light of a fellow pilot and start searching for it :)
Ikr lol it was in my front yard so I fly most of my flights from where this came down anyway, it's weird cuz I literally live out in the boonies nothing but farmland and it had no camera so no fpv flight I am boffled as to where it was flown from cuz can't go to far without video feed unless a programmed flight and nobody around me for quite a distance. I wonder if it was somebody traveling through and stopped to do some flying and crashed and chalked it up as lost and moved on . Weird scenario lol I'll keep searching till it seems I've done my part .

Last edited:
That suks for the owner of it! Anyway to grab the flight logs off it to see where it took off from maybe? Otherwise flyers in the area might turn up the owner. Good luck and glad nobody got hurt!

Yeah at how big it is and how fast it shot down to the ground I'd hate to see something like this happen and on the news cuz it hit some kid playing in their yard, the media would have a field trip with that and their "loveingly unbiased view on drones" this definitely serves as a visual reminder for all pilots on here to fly safe and responsibly

No it was after I took a pic next to my phantom to show size scale. If your scratching your head cuz it doesn't look all that damaged it wasn't damaged all that bad, which surprised me once I saw the security camera footage cuz it fell very fast. When I first saw it I thought it fell from relatively low cuz of lack of much damage but the camera footage shows a very fast crash. All that appeared damaged was one landing gear broke one prop blade broke and the GPS antanae came out of it's mount I just glued the gear back and prop together for the pic so the thing looked cooler next to the phantom lol it may have damage to esc's or fcb or battery may be nuked etc but I haven't tried to determine that I'll wait to see if I can find owner. I took another pic of it by itself that I used to put on flyers.
gotcha. I was wondering

Lol wow, lucky it missed the car, would have made great footage tho If it did lol [emoji12] and nice video editing by the way. I see your using Windows movie maker [emoji6] I started on that, then got filmora. Easy to use and so much more effects. I use that for all my videos now

Sent from my HUAWEI LYO-L01 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Lol wow, lucky it missed the car, would have made great footage tho If it did lol [emoji12] and nice video editing by the way. I see your using Windows movie maker [emoji6] I started on that, then got filmora. Easy to use and so much more effects. I use that for all my videos now

Sent from my HUAWEI LYO-L01 using PhantomPilots mobile app
Yeah that's what I used lol never tried to make/edit a vid before so my son said try that it's very easy to learn and it actually was pretty noob friendly lol I'll most likely upgrade to a more powerful editor as I learn more about it been wanting to get into it since getting the phamtom [emoji1] I'll definitely look into filmora have also thought about davinci it seems to have good reviews, have you tried that one?

Sent from my SM-S320VL using PhantomPilots mobile app

Looks like a DJI flamewheel clone. The owner is probably on a forum somewhere deep in a flyaway thread. What flight controller is it running?

Nope no numbers or anything like that didn't have a camera on it either, if had a camera with an SD card I could look at footage and maybe determine owner but nope no camera no numbers
That's strange it didn't have a camera on it. How was that owner flying it without a camera unless he/she was only flying it nearby, within his/her line of sight which then means a camera is not needed. You don't happen to see anyone near your property at that time? One possibility is that owner was planning to fly it close by without a camera but then lost sight of it, that drone flew far away until it was low in battery and crashed on your property.

Reactions: BoydBros
That's strange it didn't have a camera on it. How was that owner flying it without a camera unless he/she was only flying it nearby, within his/her line of sight which then means a camera is not needed. You don't happen to see anyone near your property at that time? One possibility is that owner was planning to fly it close by without a camera but then lost sight of it, that drone flew far away until it was low in battery and crashed on your property.
We may well have a fair dinkum flyaway here.....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan