Crashes every take off!

Reaction score
Every time I start my P2V it will idle ok, but as soon as I put over half throttle, it suddenly goes to max throttle and will not respond to radio commands. This means the motors are all at full power and it is trying to run for the sky!
I have to hang onto the undercarriage and disconnect the battery to stop it. Nothing else works. :cry:

I have reset the compass via flipping the S1 switch 5 times and also have tried manual calibration via horizontal and vertical spinning the unit in my hands. This seems successful, the lights go from green to constant yellow (as i am indoors)
I have tried power cycling, reset the location via flipping the S2 switch 5 times and have upgraded to the latest firmware via the usb cable /assistant.

The P2V was a gift for xmas - I am new to this, any help much appreciated :roll:

Welcome to the forum. Are you waiting for the fast flashing green that indicates you have a home position lock?

You manage to grab it when it goes to full throttle????

You said: "as I am inside"; are you saying that you are calibrating the compass while inside? Are you trying to fly inside?

By the way you mentioned it I have to ask just to clarify.

Try calibrate the TX in the assistant software ?
It will probably force you to update a few things, so becareful of that. You probably should upgrade firmware as well.. but if you don't want to do anything other than calibrate TX, make sure you have no internet access on the PC. Like download it, then yank the ethernet cable or disable the wifi on the PC.

You're doing this in your house? Inside? Calibrate your sticks, first with the controller attached via USB to the RC Assistant, and then with the Phantom connected to the Software Assistant. Now take it OUTSIDE, calibrate the compass, then allow it time to obtain 7 or more satellites and you see flashing green LEDs on the rear nacelles BEFORE you start the motors or attempt to take off. If you are concerned about a full throttle flyaway, tether her to the ground, or stick a broom or some other heavy object through the landing gear so she can't fly away.

Also make sure you S1 switch is in the right position as well. I can't stress enough about these are not toys and should be taken very seriously. You should watch all the BHphoto videos, to get a good understanding of the machine even before you attempt to fly. I got mine about 3 weeks ago and spent a full week watching videos, upgrading firmware, calibrating TX and MC etc. Then I studied the manual and watched even more videos. Then before I flew it I took it outside (without) props and ran thru preflight checklists, like turning on in the right order: TX-wifi-iphone-phantom. Then I went through the procedure of getting the GPS satellites locked and then throttled up. U will soon learn the ins and outs. Once you are totally comfortable that everything is right try a flight. I have a ton of RC helicopter experience but the phantom while easier to fly is a lot more technologically complex. Without knowing how everything works and is calibrated correctly, you could easily have a fly away which could result in the loss of the bird or worse, hurting someone or property damage.

rbhamilton said:
He's making my head hurt.

This.

Way too many users out there that are not either reading the manual or skipping it all together. I've seen countless videos on YouTube where the crash was preventable if the pilot had done his/her due diligence and READ the operating manual.

Hi, thanks for the feedback. Obviously flying indoors is a big no no, but this is not the cause of my problems!
I have also tested the quad outdoors - waited for GPS lock and re-cal the compass and the home point before trying to start it up. (green slow flashing lights)
Same thing happened when i pushed the throttle up - it tried to fly away uncontrollably until i remove the battery. Any helpful suggestions much appreciated!
I have done an advanced compass recal

Yes unfortunately, I am a new P2V+ owner, but have read the manual and pages and pages of user forums but cant find any solution to my issue. it was flying fine until it ran out of battery power mid flight and dived to the floor. 1 blade snapped but i can't see any other signs of damage (externally).
Since then i have had the rogue flyaway issue.

nsm123 said:
it was flying fine until it ran out of battery power mid flight and dived to the floor
Ah... so, you crashed it. That's probably something that would have been good to know up front :cool:

The crash is an important bit of missing information. Open the shell and check all of the connectors, particularly the connectors between the NAZA, the main board, and the receiver. One at a time, carefully remove each plug, verify the pins are intact and the wires are fully seated into the connector ends. (hold the plug, grasp the wires close to the connector, and push them into the connector so you are sure they are fully seated.) Now plug them back in to their respective sockets/connection points. Again, do this one at a time so you don't mix anything up.

Does it act the same if you lift off in ATT mode? Your ceramic GPS antenna wafer may have cracked from the crash and is causing problems when lifting off in GPS mode.

And maybe don't fly inside anymore.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl