Cracks on p3p after only 15 flights, how to fix?

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1448719894.381266.jpg

Hi, this is my first forum post and I hope I can get some advice here. I am just getting started with drones and sadly my new phantom has already some cracks in one arm after only 15 flights. I had one minor crash when I attempted to land it on the roof of my car to avoid landing it on the dusty ground, it bounced off and fell upside down onto the same dusty ground I was trying to avoid. There were no cracks yet after the crash, but the motors and gimbal were full of sand and I unscrewed the to clean the dust out under them. Maybe I tightened the screws to much on one side, hence the cracks, in any case my question is how to proceed... It doesn't look like my shell is of the new reinforced once, or at least I cant see the reinforced x, on the other hand it looks like it would be easy to fix with a little epoxy and fiber while changing the whole shell seems rather complicated/expensive, but wouldn't adding the resin to a single prop arm throw it out of balance? Really hope to get some of your experienced opinions here... Thanks for chiming in!

That does not look like the typical shell crack damage. When shells crack, they normally crack close to the head of the screws. Your picture looks more like crash damage and/or incorrect shell installation (e.g. screws too tight). Regardless, you could send your Phantom into DJI to have it repaired. If you'd like to do that, you'll need to call them and get an RMA. I'm assuming they won't do it for free because they will be able to tell you crashed it.

Replacing the shell is certainly not an impossible task. With some patience, the average person should be able to do it. Here's a sequence of videos showing how it's done:

If you decide to repair it yourself, you can purchase a new shell from Amazon, eBay, or directly from DJI.

Look for the post on Plast-Aid. That is only if you decide not to return for replacement. Your biggest mistake was posting you had a crash. For what might have been truly a minor non issue some will just go way to the other side and blame it on you/the crash, DJI is off the hook for the repair/replacement.

On a personal note, your cracks look identical to the cracks that appeared on my P3P (new shell/new motors)after 9 flights with no crashes. If less than 30 days old I would go to reseller and accept no excuses for a return. If they ignore you then call the credit card company you bought it with and file a claim.

DJI lost a customer with me for the way they are handling this crack issue. I am 99% done with my situation but that is what I did. I'll never buy from that reseller again and left my rating on Amazon. 3 stars for Amazon for having the A-Z return policy to protect consumers but it has taken 6 weeks to get to 99% the last thing I am waiting for is the credit issued back to my card, maybe another week but I have been assured its is coming. I was fortunate enough to have credit enough to to buy another (B&H photo, NYC) they sent me a old one and when I got it and called them for a replacement with a new one, the exchange was "painless"

When it comes to buying one of these, looking for a deal should not be your only motivation, look for a company with great customer service. DJI will not be effected by me but if they keep up with the disrespect to their customers with a issue like this one educated consumers will flock to the next new kid on the block and life will go on.

Last edited:
Your biggest mistake was posting you had a crash.
DJI would be able to easily see the crash occurred by viewing the logs on the Phantom.

Reactions: snowghost
DJI would be able to easily see the crash occurred by viewing the logs on the Phantom.
You maybe 100% right about that but based on the problems known to most of us that would just be their excuse not what really caused the cracks in the first place so sorry for that unlucky owner.

Thanks for your inputs, given that I voided my warranty anyway and DJI likely never would have fixed it because of the crash I think I'll go the Plast-Aid route, I might just fill all four arms and this way it should balance alright, will see what type of plast aid alternatives I find locally, I live on the Canary islands and getting stuff shipped here is a pain, I believe that any strong epoxy variant should work, wouldn't it?

On a personal note, your cracks look identical to the cracks that appeared on my P3P (new shell/new motors)after 9 flights with no crashes. If less than 30 days old I would go to reseller and accept no excuses for a return. If they ignore you then call the credit card company you bought it with and file a claim.
Resellers are not responsible for replacing your Phantom after you fly it and it gets damaged (no matter how it happened). DJI will honor their warranty if you call and get an RMA. Bypassing the right channels and going right to the credit card company is pretty selfish. That only hurts businesses who are trying to do the right thing (like DJI).

Resellers are not responsible for replacing your Phantom after you fly it and it gets damaged (no matter how it happened). DJI will honor their warranty if you call and get an RMA. Bypassing the right channels and going right to the credit card company is pretty selfish. That only hurts businesses who are trying to do the right thing (like DJI).
Do the right thing? Really? Still selling Phantoms with known problems is doing the right thing? Repairing that unit is doing the right thing? Replacing a defective unit free of charge is doing the right thing. They knew about the problems and continued to sell Phantoms. Don't you dare stick up for them because you then start to look like you're a bad guy and I know from your posts you are not, just way off base here (IMHO).

Please calm down. We all know the problems and also know what's DJI is doing about it. We have raised such issues couple of times and hope we got listened to. We have no direct influence on them. If you can contact them please do. We would be thankful to you.

But first thing first, get your P3 repaired first.

Replacing a defective unit free of charge is doing the right thing.
Very few companies do this. Most repair the defects and return the original item. Regardless, suggesting someone abuse a credit card policy because you don't like the repair process is dishonest (and probably fraudulent). Why hurt the dealer when it's not their fault? That makes no sense.

You crashed it and opened up the shell and perhaps tightened the screws too tight. Here's what you need to do. Erase all your flight logs. Go fly it a few times so new flight logs get recorded. Contact DJI and tell them you have cracks and you did not crash ever. You'll get new shell in about 2-3 months. Everybody happy.

You crashed it and opened up the shell and perhaps tightened the screws too tight. Here's what you need to do. Erase all your flight logs. Go fly it a few times so new flight logs get recorded. Contact DJI and tell them you have cracks and you did not crash ever. You'll get new shell in about 2-3 months. Everybody happy.
Let's not do the wrong thing first :)

Just did this last week.

The people on the phone were great. Very helpful and timely. Sent it in for cracks -- 5 weeks old --.
The only thing that could be improved is the online system--it sucks--never was updated, always said "waiting for arrival", even after the drone was repaired. Never said checked in, in service department, repaired, move to shipping, shipped. When I called to check on it, the person on the phone told me the different stages, but the online systems never was updated, so I had to call all the time. It took two days for them to check the drone in, only a day and half to repair it and send it to the shipping department.

I'm very happy with DJI at this point, it has only been gone a week and it's on its way back, should get it Friday.

Don't know anything about the quality of repair -- will report on that later. I just sent the drone, nothing else. Sent it in the original box, inside another box per their instructions. DJI emailed me a Fedex shipping label.

It cost me nothing, just 10 dollars to box up the drone. I'm happy with DJi.....

Update: Should arrive to day (Wednesday) -- this whole process has taken one week -- including shipping time to/from AZ to CA.

I'm shocked at the number of people saying its fine to lie, cheat, and be totally dishonest. What happened to being responsible for ones actions. Set an example for those around you and do the right thing... As for me, DJI has been a good company and stands behind their products. Do the right thing!

I'm shocked at the number of people saying its fine to lie, cheat, and be totally dishonest. What happened to being responsible for ones actions. Set an example for those around you and do the right thing... As for me, DJI has been a good company and stands behind their products. Do the right thing!
I am shocked also!

Option 1: Be an adult - get in touch with DJI, be responsible and decent, tell them the truth and get ready to maybe spend some money and wait a while to get your aircraft back in good shape. It may take some time, may give some hassle, whatever... End of story, everyone wins and you're back to flying and filming again at some point soon.

Option 2: Be a warrior - you feel cheated and decide to cheat too, get pissed and join the unhappy crowd and it all spirals down. Fight for your rights. Just be warned: You'll come across other drones with their own issues and customer services too. The grass is always greener on the other side. Only it's not.

Option 3: Be a hobbyist - buy a new shell ($60, that's nothing in hobby terms...), get some tools, epoxy or whatever you feel works best. Hit Youtube, RC blogs & communities, take your time to learn a few stress-releasing skills (glueing, drilling, filing, coating, repairing, reinforcing, rebuilding, etc.) and be free, in total command of your P3 and the owner of your hobby - forever. Kinda like taking the Zen And The Art of Flying Phantoms approach.

There are other options too, of course. However you take it, you''l be much happier (and satisfied) if you accept this is not a vacuum cleaner, a TV set or just another "appliance". It's a highly advanced RC aircraft, lots going on with it. Lots can go wrong too. Fortunately it is also built in a way we can replace/repair pretty much anything for relatively little $$$ even the electronics which are usually a pain in many devices. And it works beautifully most of the time.

It is my belief we need to be patient with everything when dealing with drones in general, because it may look simple but flying these things demands a lot more than just cashing out, unboxing and charging batteries. From learning to fly and film decently and safely, to dealing with the makers and sellers, some dedication and time are required. Just like we also need to be patient with anti-drone crusaders, the haters and the admirers, the curious, the regulations, everything.

DJI is selling buckets of these because P3s are the best, they're also doing the best they can to please and support customers. But it can never be 100% smooth, there are a few issues for sure, and it's essentially impossible to please everyone so we will keep getting negative feedback regardless.

It is a FACT that no one knows for sure how many or what % of P3s cracking. Some are, maybe many are, it sucks to take the short straw and remain forcibly on the ground for a while, etc. But that's life. Take control.

Option 1: Be an adult - get in touch with DJI, be responsible and decent, tell them the truth and get ready to maybe spend some money and wait a while to get your aircraft back in good shape. It may take some time, may give some hassle, whatever... End of story, everyone wins and you're back to flying and filming again at some point soon.

Option 2: Be a warrior - you feel cheated and decide to cheat too, get pissed and join the unhappy crowd and it all spirals down. Fight for your rights. Just be warned: You'll come across other drones with their own issues and customer services too. The grass is always greener on the other side. Only it's not.

Option 3: Be a hobbyist - buy a new shell ($60, that's nothing in hobby terms...), get some tools, epoxy or whatever you feel works best. Hit Youtube, RC blogs & communities, take your time to learn a few stress-releasing skills (glueing, drilling, filing, coating, repairing, reinforcing, rebuilding, etc.) and be free, in total command of your P3 and the owner of your hobby - forever. Kinda like taking the Zen And The Art of Flying Phantoms approach.

There are other options too, of course. However you take it, you''l be much happier (and satisfied) if you accept this is not a vacuum cleaner, a TV set or just another "appliance". It's a highly advanced RC aircraft, lots going on with it. Lots can go wrong too. Fortunately it is also built in a way we can replace/repair pretty much anything for relatively little $$$ even the electronics which are usually a pain in many devices. And it works beautifully most of the time.

It is my belief we need to be patient with everything when dealing with drones in general, because it may look simple but flying these things demands a lot more than just cashing out, unboxing and charging batteries. From learning to fly and film decently and safely, to dealing with the makers and sellers, some dedication and time are required. Just like we also need to be patient with anti-drone crusaders, the haters and the admirers, the curious, the regulations, everything.

DJI is selling buckets of these because P3s are the best, they're also doing the best they can to please and support customers. But it can never be 100% smooth, there are a few issues for sure, and it's essentially impossible to please everyone so we will keep getting negative feedback regardless.

It is a FACT that no one knows for sure how many or what % of P3s cracking. Some are, maybe many are, it sucks to take the short straw and remain forcibly on the ground for a while, etc. But that's life. Take control.
Very well written. Thx

We also need to establish a direct contact with DJI to get the facts about everything. Guesses create confusion and create doubt even for the good intentions.

Do the right thing? Really? Still selling Phantoms with known problems is doing the right thing? Repairing that unit is doing the right thing? Replacing a defective unit free of charge is doing the right thing. They knew about the problems and continued to sell Phantoms. Don't you dare stick up for them because you then start to look like you're a bad guy and I know from your posts you are not, just way off base here (IMHO).

If you buy a new car, crash it and then take it to the dealer for them to repair it or give you a new one.... What do you this your chances of that happening? you would not think of doing it would you... so why would you think DJI should fix it?

If you buy a new car, crash it and then take it to the dealer for them to repair it or give you a new one.... What do you this your chances of that happening? you would not think of doing it would you... so why would you think DJI should fix it?
If you crash your car because of car's design problem, it's a very big issue then.

The source of most cracks seems to originate from the base that holds screws.
Over Tightening a motor screw will cause stress on the plastic screw bases . In the future , more birds will crack and fall due to fatigue of the motor base.
Its a design issue and in-adapted use of soft plastic. DJI is responsible here. They are making ****-tons of margin, I say be a Warrior and fight back.

Who have modified their RC and when opening it one of the screw bases fell into pieces? Controller and shell are apparently from same material.

1441024338879-jpg.29192

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl