Controller weak signal

Reaction score
I have the P3S, and when I fly a lot of times for no reason at like 150-200 ft I get where I go from full controller to red without warning and then it comes back after a few seconds sometimes and others I have to descend quickly until it signal comes back.I have had it up to 400 ft directly above me only twice but then the same thing happened so I started worrying and brought it down.I ordered the Argtek signal booster I'm hoping will help.Any help on this would be greatly appreciated,Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have the P3S, and when I fly a lot of times for no reason at like 150-200 ft I get where I go from full controller to red without warning and then it comes back after a few seconds sometimes and others I have to descend quickly until it signal comes back.I have had it up to 400 ft directly above me only twice but then the same thing happened so I started worrying and brought it down.I ordered the Argtek signal booster I'm hoping will help.Any help on this would be greatly appreciated,Thanks!!

Flying directly above is bad idea for signal measuring. There is very little signal beaming up from your remote.
Try going in open field with line of sight.

Reactions: unklodie
Yes, the control signal,it will drop one bar then seem to go in the red and flash in the left corner of the screen"weak controller Signal"

If you can, go about 100' then away from you about 400' making sure the antenna is pointed straight up and holding the remote still as possible and watch your remote signal strength while you are hovering. Your looking for solid remote control signal, tell us what it does.
Important safety note, have your RTH set above any nearby tall obstacles.

Ok,I was able to go 250' up and out 400' without losing any bars on the controller signal heading west, but when I was 200' up and 400' out north I lost 1-2 bars on and off but no weak signal warning, except for when I first turned everything on and was ready to take off so I waited about a minute and it went away and never came back!!Will the the Argtek extender help get longer distances?I did notice at 30% battery life my video was fading in and out, is this normal?

Oh and thanks for all the help so far!!

My thoughts are to do more testing, before making any mods. When a P3S is working correctly if you can see it, it should see you. Test in some more locations. I had to reread this thread a couple of times. I would focus on your remote angles as your flying. The best wording so far is the remote antenna should be parallel to the vertical part of the Phantoms landing gear. Actually I just made that up.

I flew again last night, set my distance limit to 500' was up 200' and the signal completely dropped out and "weak signal " for about 3 seconds then came back in full and was good the rest of the time.My wifi is dropping 1-2 bars all the time while flying. The antenna on the controller is almost straight up ( about 80 degrees) Not sure why this keeps happening when I see other guys getting 1500' +!I would like to go further but don't know about it with these issues. I guess it just return to home if it losses signal but I'm just skeptical about doing it.

Hahahaha, me too! I've only ever flown by LOS with my other birds. Now I have just got my p3s and can fly out further and depend on rth but, I HAVE TRUST ISSUES!

Just installed Argtek extender, hope it helps I'll let you know!!

So just got back from my flight, heading west with no trees in my way I got 800'!!Not happy about going North could only get 650-680 before total drop out of controller signal with trees out about 300' and I was 230' up!!I tried aiming the center antenna different positions with the same result every time I sent it back out 650 or so and total drop out so I full stick reverse and it comes back in after like 2 seconds.I don't hoe these guys are getting 4000' when I can't even reach 1000' comfortably!!I don't know if there is something wrong with it, or the controller, but especially with what I've seen on you tube I should get further than what I am!!

At only 200 feet I got those same unnerving red warnings while on vacation in beautiful Puerto Vallarta.
I researched all night
That's when I learned this...
Empty all programs from your device (Apple) by double clicking home button and swiping the pages off the device. Reboot by holding on/off button for 5 seconds. Start back up. Put device in airplane mode. Turn on DJI App
Now...Your device is "flight mode"
Back at home I added copper antenna signal range boosters. Found on Amazon.
I believe they are the main reason I have such reliable connection. And they are really easy to install.
Now I can easily go 1500 feet high. And a 2000 foot distant max, so far, which was my decision this morning.

Last edited:
At only 200 feet I got those same unnerving red warnings while on vacation in beautiful Puerto Vallarta.
I researched all night
That's when I learned this...
Empty all programs from your device (Apple) by double clicking home button and swiping the pages off the device. Reboot by holding on/off button for 5 seconds. Start back up. Put device in airplane mode. Turn on DJI App
Now...Your device is "flight mode"
Back at home I added copper antenna signal range boosters. Found on Amazon.
I believe they are the main reason I have such reliable connection. And they are really easy to install.
Now I can easily go 1500 feet high. And a 2000 foot distant max, so far, which was my decision this morning.
I'm planning to try this for my next flight because my range is terrible.

Do you mean that I should turn off and on my iPhone before every flight?

Ok, I'll definitely try that!!I flew twice today,in a farmers field I got 1140@ 200ft up,and 1230 at 200 and 400 up before controller signal and wifi dropped out, kinda scary but I got it back again.

It worked okay, but I have to be constantly adjusting the antenna angle to provide enough connection.

I'm kind of happy, but I really should be able to get more out of this thing than 1200 ft, since there are several videos of the mod on you tube flying 3-5000 ft!!!

I'm planning to try this for my next flight because my range is terrible.

Do you mean that I should turn off and on my iPhone before every flight?

Yes. I Reboot mostly every time.

Last edited:
One more setting to check...
In the App
Click "HD"
Image Transmission Settings.
Click "Custom"
Select "Channel Mode 20"
Slide Transmission Quality to its lowest.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl