Controller revA vs revB

Reaction score
This was posted on an Italian Phantom 3 site and translated via Google Translate:

if true, it may account for why some people get lagging and video glitches even when using same display devices.
===========================================================

After analyzing and collecting the experiences had during the last firmware updates by users with the Phantom 3, especially in relation to upgrading the RemoteController, we discovered, doing research on the web, some very interesting things about their characteristics radio supplied with the drone of home DJI ...
Apparently the boys, there would be two radio models on the market, the GL300A and GL300B (you can read the code on the back of your RC, at the bottom, as in the picture). What are the differences between the two models?
- GL300A (the model "old"), would be equipped with video processor "DaVinci" TMS320DM368 Texas Instruments (http://www.ti.com/product/tms320dm368) and USB 2.0 controller CY7C68013 of Cypress (http: / /www.cypress.com/file/138911/download)
- GL300B (the model more "recent"), would without a video processor "DaVinci", but would instead be equipped with USB 3.0 (not 2.0 as in version A) CYUSB2014 of Cypress (http://www.cypress.com / file / 140296 / downloads) and sensing of charge CW2015CWAD CellWise (http://www.cellwise-semi.com/en/pro_show.asp?id=1498), not present on version A. Additionally, other difference, B apparently can be refreshed only via app and not via USB ...
So, in summary in plain English, the GL300A have an internal hardware for better performance management and encoding (or decoding) video stream, while the GL300B higher speed connection to the tablet / smartphone ...
This leads us to make some arguments and ask ourselves some questions, to which we would like to answer with you ...
First, why these two models of radio? Are linked to the model of the drone (professional / advanced) or only to the period of production? And, if they are related only to the period of production, because this rethinking by DJI during construction?
POSSIBLE SCENARIOS:
SCENARIO 1:
two different strategies of management of the video stream:
- A more in capacity of internal processing;
- In B "delegation" or part of the calculation to the CPU / GPU of the mobile device (this also justifies the presence of USB 3.0 port for sending data faster than the tablet / smartphone).
SCENARIO 2:
with model B the DJI decided not compress more direct flow to the USB port (disappearance of video processing), being therefore the need for greater "capacity" data (the appearance of the USB 3.0 controller).
And finally, we throw there, but if the problems of overheating of the mobile device that presented above with the previous firmware, were linked to one of the two versions of the radio in particular (and maybe the B that "stresses" more smartphone / tablet)?
We do not have answers for now, and maybe ours are simple inferences who knows (maybe they are also wrong to our sources), but we'd like to do with you a census data and a series of surveys to understand something more ... Please, if you are interested or want to make your contribution, join our group affiliated https://www.facebook.com/groups/1566114093641842/, thanks

Good info, thanks

Very good find. I'll check mine later and post for sure. I think I have ver A (older) because I had to upgrade the RC firmware with the USB. I have not had any video lag or odd glitches with my video streaming. I have the ADV version.

Last edited:
I have the A version which makes sense as i got it on first few days of release.
I have the adv drone.

I can believe that davinci may be replaced by other chip. Without a processor RC can't process video at all.

I have the A version with the Pro early version. Now many ppl said that the new remote controller FW brought them disconnects. Could it be the case that DJI now uses only one FW for both controllers and they just dont support the Video processor in the A spec model anymore to make both models "even". This would mean that the A spec model would be really bad now. This is strange because normally DJI need to develop two different FW versions for two remote controllers, i fear that they just skipped the video decoder of the A version with the FW update. Is that possible or because of the lack of USB 3.0 unlikely? I also wonder what that means in terms of the HDMI upgrade board, does that mean the A spec model can display the pure HDMI video directly from the remote because it has an internal video decoder? That would mean the B spec model would need a tablet to do this which is unlikely. I can not imagine that they got rid of the video processor because you could not use video goggles directly without a tablet, right ?

The DJI guys now are using FPGA mostly and I don't believe they go only by software.
Hdmi need a specific processor (may be embedded in an media processor itself)

Hello there,
Looks like I use A_ver RC...I did a test with the hardware decoding setting in the Pilot-App...before up-grade to Go-App...with the camera looking at me...bird on the table props off motors off...I moved my jaw by opening and closing my mouth as fast and as wide as I could...it was absolute with the decoding setting on...NO DELAY...off...noticable DELAY...this was on Apple iPad air 2...I did fly with this setting off at first and no problems and noticed no lag...I always fly with the setting on now...I did the test because of no clear answer as to witch setting would be best on Apple iPad air 2...or why...after my results I would always recommend...setting on if asked...because if it was helping the Apple iPad air 2...it would be beneficial to what ever you had...MY OPINION ONLY...now I will be asking the BIG question witch version RC do you have...A or B...I have not run the test with the new Go-App...just-say-in...!!! ;-)

I have the A version using an iPhone 6+. I have some lag and I'm experiencing a no connection issue as well as a disconnect issue during flight. This never happened prior to updating.

The iPad's USB interface is USB 2.0, not USB 3.0 so I'm not sure how this would help in the Apple world.

I have version A, its a sad day. Sometimes coming too the forum depresses me, but I still know I got an awesome machine. Seems like there is always something bigger and better coming out right after, I mean right after I buy something, Im like awww crap. But Im going to fly it till the props fly off!:eek::D

The iPad's USB interface is USB 2.0, not USB 3.0 so I'm not sure how this would help in the Apple world.

Hello there,
I think the point as I see it is RC ver_A has hardware built in...that will do video processing and RC ver_B only has 3.0 USB no video processing hardware...I hope that DJI does not take away the option to use the hardware decoding option in the App...the Apple iPad air 2 I use really works better with this setting in the ON position...!!! ;-)

Hello there,
I think the point as I see it is RC ver_A has hardware built in...that will do video processing and RC ver_B only has 3.0 USB no video processing hardware...I hope that DJI does not take away the option to use the hardware decoding option in the App...the Apple iPad air 2 I use really works better with this setting in the ON position...!!! ;-)
Hardware decode on or off should be the internal GPU of the ipad, not the remote controller. Thats what DJI said a long time ago but i agree it also sounds plausible that it could mean the internal hardware decode of the remote controller but that according to DJI its not like that. I think hardware decode on or off can only be used with some IOS devices otherwise its greyed out.

Hardware decode on or off should be the internal GPU of the ipad, not the remote controller. Thats what DJI said a long time ago but i agree it also sounds plausible that it could mean the internal hardware decode of the remote controller but that according to DJI its not like that. I think hardware decode on or off can only be used with some IOS devices otherwise its greyed out.
Hello there,
Thank you for the input...that is why I did the test...is was clear that the results of the setting was a total of the system...and reliant on it or to it...so what I did was satisfied myself on the system I use...and shared the results...that being said I was in no way caring about what was happening...but only the end results of the setting...to achieve the best video performance...for the system I use that was in the on position...so what you are saying is that even on a the Apple iPad air 2 the video is better if you use the hardware decoding...only found in the now replaced ver_A RC...that has video processing hardware in it I hope that DJI keeps this option available to all the now replaced ver_A owners because on the system I ran the test on the video was delayed a lot with out the use of the RCs internal hardware...and that was on Apple iPad air 2...!!! ;-)

Hello there,
Thank you for the input...that is why I did the test...is was clear that the results of the setting was a total of the system...and reliant on it or to it...so what I did was satisfied myself on the system I use...and shared the results...that being said I was in no way caring about what was happening...but only the end results of the setting...to achieve the best video performance...for the system I use that was in the on position...so what you are saying is that even on a the Apple iPad air 2 the video is better if you use the hardware decoding...only found in the now replaced ver_A RC...that has video processing hardware in it I hope that DJI keeps this option available to all the now replaced ver_A owners because on the system I ran the test on the video was delayed a lot with out the use of the RCs internal hardware...and that was on Apple iPad air 2...!!! ;-)
No according to DJI the hardware decode function has nothing to do with A or B spec mofdel, its the internal graphic processing unit of the ipad. You can switch it on or of with that function. when its on the internal ipad GPU make the decoding, otherwise its the normal CPU. But yes, i wonder why the remote controller has this internal video decoder

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen