Contradictory YouTube videos on compass calibration, which i

Reaction score
Hi, Newbie question,
In watching youtube videos on compass calibration I am seeing two different techniques in part 2 of the process. I know the important thing is getting the correct led signal, but I'm curious which is correct. This maybe hard to explain w/o pictures, but I'll try.
Part 1 I get, in upright position rotate counter clockwise 360 degrees. In part 2, everyone turns Phantom nose down, but then some people rotate it 360 degrees in the horizontal plane, so that the nose is always facing down. Others face it nose down and rotate it 360 degrees in the vertical plane, so that the nose is down, then away from you, then facing up, then towards you, then back down. It seems like that would make a difference. Which is better?
Hope this makes sense.
Thank you!!

Re: Contradictory YouTube videos on compass calibration, whi

It's not a case of what's best? - It's what works?
If the Youtube methods get the lights to flash right they are probably fine.
But when in doubt, the manual is a good place to go.
i-9rp6Tw9-L.jpg

I always hold the quad out at arms length for the first part and turn my body until led changes from yellow to green. Sometimes this may take a tad over 360 degrees. Then with nose down and again at arms length, I turn my body again till I get proper led. Is this the only way to do it? NO. But it works and no fumbling with quad. One day I did it differently and my calibration failed. The difference was I held the quad close to my body....I had keys in my pocket and a1/4 inch magnetic chuck in my pocket. Redid calibration at arms length with keys and magnet still in my pocket. All ok.

As I understand it works either way. Me, I tend to always do things the most difficult way. [WHITE SMILING FACE]

I hold the quad above my head, 360 in one spot. When the lights change and still raised above my head, i drop it on its nose and spin 360 again. Fast and effective.

More than 2 years calibrating "normal" way, always perfect....
I hold phantom horizontal and then I turn myself until solid green, then hold phantom nose down and again turn myself until green flash light, finally re-power phantom as suggested on user manual. This method is known as "compass dance" in all forums :lol:

NOTE: While calibrating stay away from:
1) Computer / Laptop
2) Metal sources (most underground structures are not visible)
3) Magnetic fields as Power Statiosn, Cables and Motors
4) Your phone and metal keychains,

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl