Contacting Tower KDSM- anyone done this?

I live 3.5 nm from KDSM (Des Moines International). The red zone is just the airport. The regs say call the tower or controller within 5 miles. I'm afraid to do so, wondering if they may say don't fly. Anybody actually called KDSM or other controller?
Thank you!

Hello there, yes I have called the tower and they are very friendly they only ask me where and how long I was planning to fly my drone . Fly responsible [emoji1360]

Reactions: Indiana_pyro
What about private airstrips with no tower to contact? Is there a ruling, or official opinion on the 5 mile rule when there isn't a tower?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Make reasonable attempts to contact the operator, phone, email etc. to notify, but as in my case, no reply was received. You’ve met your obligation then as far as the FAA is concerned.

Yes I have and they were very helpful and friendly.They have military aircraft using the airport and still allowed me to fly.I was so close I could wave to the pilots..Just use a app like( air map) it y old me when aircraft were approaching.So I lowered to about 50 ft or so and waited for them to pass.If you hear aircraft approaching just get f own to safe altitude until it passes.I was doing SEARCH for lost dog so that may be why They let me so close.

I live 3.5 nm from KDSM (Des Moines International). The red zone is just the airport. The regs say call the tower or controller within 5 miles. I'm afraid to do so, wondering if they may say don't fly. Anybody actually called KDSM or other controller?
Thank you!
I'm about 4 miles from the Iowa City Airport. I called the manager yesterday and he was very friendly and helpful in arranging a way of contacting them that works for both of us...in this case he preferred just an email telling him when, where and how high

Reactions: Jeff48
DRONE OPERATORS AND AIRPORTS

For drone operators in northern Arizona, I think we should all get together and have a meeting & operate our drones....a protest rally to discuss things drone.

I know just the airstrip - BIG SPRINGS AZ 27. The airport manager is an incredibly good-looking, charming sweet-dispositioned guy who shares our love of playing around with drones ( I know this because I see the guy every morning in my bath-room mirror ).

I do have to warn you that he is a lover of all things nature, including bunney wabbets, lizzards, and even weeds.......so dont come unless your drone is equipped with blade-guards.....!

Just to add another two cents to the conversation. It appears all these posts are talking about hobbyist flights, which only requires notification if flying within five miles of an airport or helipad. Still, the airport operators can so no to the flights. The problem is, the FAA is gaming the system. They approved initial drone guidelines last you to appease Congress who was getting pressure from the big boys with money (Amazon, Google, pizza conglomerates, etc.). So the FAA hurriedly offers up these guidelines, but then turns around and tells the airports, "you can say no if safety is a concern." The FAA is playing one group against the other.

In my instance, I have two local farm airports and a hospital helipad within five miles of the house. The farm airports were easy to work with (although none of their contact info was good in the airport database - it took a personal visit). The helipad manager, however, said he will NEVER approve any type of drone flight within five miles of his facility. "We never know when or where we need to fly, and lives are on the line!" In this case, I've made notes in my flight log and flew my hobbyist flight. Yes, I could get in trouble with the FAA if something happened, but I've lived here for 13 years and have never seen his helicopter in my neighborhood (most heli flights are for highway accidents).

Just for info, I recall seeing somewhere on the FAA website that if you are repeatedly told you can;t fly, you can contact the local Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) to have them look into it. Once drone numbers dramatically increase, these troublesome airport managers will eventually have to change their view on drone flights. Especially for the Part 107 pilots that plan to fly for business purposes. The FAA won't stifle a budding commercial industry... :)

Fully agree. I prefer written notification. Either a fax, email or SMS Text...
Sure. But my point was more along the lines that it is hard to get into a debate when corresponding via the mail. At least one timely enough to matter.

Reactions: jdharrin

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irish_phantom