Confusing dji article

Ah - so they want the updates for the advantages they bring, but they want to be able to choose which advantages those are? Maybe DJI should produce an entire suite of update versions to choose from each time, so that the users don't have to whine incessantly about the bits they don't like. But hang on - most of the posters complaining here keep going on about wanting exactly what they bought, and not wanting DJI to change anything. In other words, ironically, exactly what you get if you don't ever update.

You are right - everyone is entitled to their opinion, not matter how ill-informed or unreasonable it may be. Flat-earthers, end-of-the-worlders, everyone. But make no mistake - post illogical and unreasonable nonsense in defense of those kinds of positions on internet forums and they will get called out.

You are absolutely correct with every word.

...all I'm trying to say here is that no one should be surprised by the fact that there are differing opinions in the world.

That's all.

It drove Christopher Columbus across the world. Some people are more impassioned than others, relative to the topic. There are millions of others that didn't care enough about it to try.

It will never cease to fascinate me how some people get visibly disturbed by the opinions of others when the topic is relatively mundane.

It upsets people when their favourite bag of potato chips goes from 200g to 190g to 180g... but on the potato chip forum there will be debates about the cost of manufacturing and that the price would have to escalate if the weight were maintained, but the bag got taller which is deception...

To play devils advocate though, note that I said "bug fixes". It's fair to expect a fix for something that has a bug in it, for at least a fair period of time.

A lot of people complain about iOS updates the day they come out too. No one complains about the bug fixes, just the overhauls. A lot of people wait as long as they can to install those too, until they feel they have little other choice or the previous version is no longer supported. Or the hardware goes obsolete.

One more perspective:

My interest in maintaining a civil attitude in this thread is selfish;

Threads that don't stay civil and productive get closed, and I for one am interested in the variety of opinions, perspectives, and counterpoints. I learn from them, and I enjoy learning. So I don't want it closed... though I suspect it's come close to running it's course.

This is just a hobby for me so I will never be passionate enough about it to care so deeply as to initiate a movement. I'll save that passion for something that can affect the well being of my family or my livelihood because I can't change the whole world.

Probably can't even get another 10g of chips added to the bag.

When this hobby stops being fun, I'll find another.

For the record, none of the people with the wildly outlandish opinions have been proven wrong yet!

(I'm getting the sense I know how Columbus felt...)

As you noted - that event happened without any consent by the user. How many times does it have to be pointed out that all DJI software and firmware updates are entirely optional before people stop posting alarmist nonsense and inappropriate analogies?

But that is the whole point, if you do this update you are giving up your option to say no in the future.

Last edited:
For the record, none of the people with the wildly outlandish opinions have been proven wrong yet!

(I'm getting the sense I know how Columbus felt...)

Very true. But how exactly does one prove wild predictions to be wrong, without simply waiting for them not to happen? And even then, they are just followed by further wild predictions that later also turn out not to happen. That's part of my frustration - on top of the irrationality of the arguments is the observation that this cycle just keeps being repeated, and no one making the predictions seems to notice that they keep being wrong.

Very true. But how exactly does one prove wild predictions to be wrong, without simply waiting for them not to happen? And even then, they are just followed by further wild predictions that later also turn out not to happen. That's part of my frustration - on top of the irrationality of the arguments is the observation that this cycle just keeps being repeated, and no one making the predictions seems to notice that they keep being wrong.

I know... but I really kinda did say that one in fun... I think you knew that or you'd have been all over me worse than this! [emoji6]

I know... but I really kinda did say that one in fun... I think you knew that or you'd have been all over me worse than this! [emoji6]
HI I done update still goes the same ,actually djigo4 gave me 2 updates this week ,asked me to relog in before I could even open app and woke up to another update v4.0.1.SO FAR it's same as before :)

Reactions: Loz and jwmcgrath

Can you gaurantee that NO future restrictions will be passed? Because you keep pretending that the idea is completely unreasonable, yet you still have not even acknowledged that it has already happened in Canada.

DJI is not clear as to what's going to be restricted with these new changes in place. If you don't want to be affected by the changes, then make sure you're running everything in a bubble (i.e. don't connect to the Internet, don't update DJI GO, don't update the firmware). Running in a bubble is not really practical though. Whatever DJI is cooking up will most likely be applied to anything you buy from them in the future.
Please explain in further detail how by not updating is not pratical? What do you have that I lwouldnt?

I really want not to dignify this with a response, but I can't help it:

IF YOU ARE REALLY CONCERNED ABOUT THAT THEN DON'T DO THE UPDATE.

I'm not going to, screw DJI and their restrictions. It however is wrong that choosing not to allow DJI the capability to remotely disable my drone also means that I will not recieve any future bug fixes, repairs, or tech support either.

...yet you still have not even acknowledged that it has already happened in Canada.

You have mentioned this several times, so I will ask - why are you raising something that's happened (according to you) in Canada in a post about software / Firmware updates.? Yes I have read about Canadian Drone interim laws, but their laws, like any country, have nothing to do with DJI. (DJI don't define NFZs).

Reactions: sar104
I'm not going to, screw DJI and their restrictions.
What restrictions?
Really .. the restrictions are in your mind but there are none affecting DJI Phantoms beyond the default limits they came with when they were first released.
What has DJI ever done to make you so sure they are going to clamp down on your flying fun (and seriously damage their business).
It gets very tedious listening to the same old garbage about imaginary restrictions that you feel might be introduced some time in the future.
You really haven't a clue what you are talking about.

I'm not aware of any that have been demonstrated to be correct yet.
And given that no-one has yet found any of the dire restrictions predicted by some, I'd say that they were all wrong (again).
We've been getting the same gloom and doom predictions ever since DJI started firmware updates.
Although they are never correct, the doomsters just keep warning of the terrible things to come.

I had the same later from DJI about the update and having to re log in but so far have not had to.
I have just updated again but no log in was necessary.
This is with a Phantom 3 A and I live in France. Has anybody else not had to re log in.

Confused at this article particularly the part that says if you do update live camera streaming will be lost and flight distance and height will be decreased ???!

Kinakailangan ang Pagtiyak sa Seguridad

Disappointed But Not Surprised
DJi’s recent update, has imposed new restrictions on our UAVs , that were not in place when we purchased the products, therefore unilaterally reducing the value of the product. I believe in doing so, DJI owes a refund to everyone forced to accept a lesser product. When Apple was confronted by an unfair government demand, it showed courage and refused to submit. I applaud Apple’s fortitude, while condemning DJI’s weakness.
Just like the small liberties that we seem to be willing to give up in the name of security, slowly but surely, DJI, through government pressure, will slowly restrict the fun out of recreational flying. Where will it stop? It won’t.
For those of you considering a purchase of a new UAV, while they are still fun to fly, the more that corporations cave into government pressure, the less fun these products will supply.
Very disappointed,
Dennis Frantz

What restrictions?
Really .. the restrictions are in your mind but there are none affecting DJI Phantoms beyond the default limits they came with when they were first released.
What has DJI ever done to make you so sure they are going to clamp down on your flying fun (and seriously damage their business).
It gets very tedious listening to the same old garbage about imaginary restrictions that you feel might be introduced some time in the future.

I've come to the reluctant conclusion that a number of the repeat posters on this thread are just trolling to keep this argument going and because they enjoy the frustration and bafflement that they are causing to everyone else. I'm deleting the thread from my watch list.

I'm not aware of any that have been demonstrated to be correct yet.
And given that no-one has yet found any of the dire restrictions predicted by some, I'd say that they were all wrong (again).
We've been getting the same gloom and doom predictions ever since DJI started firmware updates.
Although they are never correct, the doomsters just keep warning of the terrible things to come.

That's the one I was teasing about... trying to lighten the mood in here a little...

Hard to text "mood" tho... [emoji6]

You have mentioned this several times, so I will ask - why are you raising something that's happened (according to you) in Canada in a post about software / Firmware updates.? Yes I have read about Canadian Drone interim laws, but their laws, like any country, have nothing to do with DJI. (DJI don't define NFZs).

Are you really not seeing it? Laws are what define the NFZs so if DJI is updating the NFZs in real time that means that as soon as a government (like Canada) does something stupid those rules instantly become new restrictions from DJI, or at least DJI's interpretation of those laws does. So, say you were living in Canada or some other country like it when those rules came down, now you have a drone with very sophisticated capabilities, which you paid a lot of money for, which is now effectively a paperweight, or no more than a $20 toystore drone that can't fly beyond your backyard. Complying with the law should be your choice, not DJI's. That's ofcourse assuming that DJI even interprets it correctly, many on this forum interpreted Canada's new rule as a total ban, what If DJI had done that? Bottom line, we have drones that are capable of flying miles away at thousands of feet in the air, all with sophisticated software giving us an amazing set of abilities, I expect that DJI will not limit that, if they do then they owe me a full refund at the price I originally paid. Complying with and interpreting the law is my job, not theirs.

Consider the reverse of that as well, they create a system that automatically forces users to obey the law, how many people would then get lazy and not actually study the law and have no concept of what is or is not legal, and instead become completely reloant on the software? Now image that DJI goofs and they get caught breaking the law (because their only knowledge of it is "the drone let me do it so it must be legal") because DJI did not program it correctly? Now they are in trouble and the rest of us look bad.

Reactions: Apilot101
What restrictions?

Your arguing from the possition that future government restrictions either can't happen or are unlikely, which is foolhardy at best. It is the nature of government to become ever more restrictive and when they do DJI's new system will instantly enforce those restrictions on us, no matter how stupid (and that is assuming DJI doesn't screw it up). I point to Canada again, they went from relatively few restrictions to one of the most restrive countries on the planet overnight, with no warning, they are proof it can happen. This new system gives DJI the ability to ground our drones or severely restrict them at anytime, without consent, just because some government flunky tells them to.

Reactions: thatdjigeek

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18