Compass stuck error

I picked up my new P3A today after crashing my last bird, the first thing I did was update the firmware and performed a IMU and compass calibration, the problem is very now and again when I go to take off it comes up with a warning "Compass Stuck, Restart Aircraft. Contact DJI Support if this persists after restart". I've never encountered this before, any advice would be appreciated.

I also just received my new P3S. Same problem. Compass stuck error when attempting to takeoff. Support doesn't seem to have a clue on this one. This occurs maybe one in ten times while taking off. It occurs with both auto or manual takeoff. The firmware and app is the latest. This occurs on both my iPhone and iPad. Have done multiple IMU and compass calibrations with no change. All devices have been powered on in the correct order. Attempting to takeoff yet once again immediately after this error always works.

Is there any further word on the cause of this issue? Wondering if it's a Firmware bug with the latest 1.7.9. Doesn't appear to be something that is actually causing a true problem...yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryce Hoornstra
I also just received my new P3S. Same problem. Compass stuck error when attempting to takeoff. Support doesn't seem to have a clue on this one. This occurs maybe one in ten times while taking off. It occurs with both auto or manual takeoff. The firmware and app is the latest. This occurs on both my iPhone and iPad. Have done multiple IMU and compass calibrations with no change. All devices have been powered on in the correct order. Attempting to takeoff yet once again immediately after this error always works.

Is there any further word on the cause of this issue? Wondering if it's a Firmware bug with the latest 1.7.9. Does appear to be something that is actually causing a true problem...yet.

Does NOT appear to be something that is actually causing a problem...yet.

That's great news. It is very intermittent and so far doesn't appear to cause any real problems, as it goes away after attempting a takeoff again without rebooting. As stated.....about 1 in 10 times. I tested without the props by using auto takeoff or CSC multiple times to initiate takeoff. In all cases the error occurred and the motors would not spin, but attempting takeoff again always worked. I'm just questioning whether it's worth it to send it back since brand new. I suspect many probably just ignore this error since not frequent and thus far hasn't seem to cause an real problems.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: dexter82
Fred,

I got the same request on their online chat. At the time I didn't have a screen shot, but I was able to reproduce the error and now have one. Maybe I'll try email and include the SS.

I'm still getting the compas errors as others have mentioned:

- Compas stuck error about 1/10 flights
- Motors wont start, however they do on the 2nd / 3rd attempt
- No obvious issues in flight, tried several RTH's and worked correctly

I've read a few people reporting that the new firmware (1.10.90) potentially fixes the problem, going to update and see. If not, will be contacting DJI for a warranty repair.

Last edited:
Big 0

Mine is actually on a P3S, so this issue is on multiple Phantom models. I would think this rules out the firmware, but maybe not. My unit is new, and has not experienced any issues thus far during the few flights I've made. I have an email into support so we'll see what they have to say. The online chat was not helpful. If in doubt I may just return it for exchange since new. I'd rather not send a brand new unit to Dji for repair, especially if as intermittent as we are experiencing. Certainly an interesting error since my understanding is that this compass is not mechanical.

Big 0

Mine is actually on a P3S, so this issue is on multiple Phantom models. I would think this rules out the firmware, but maybe not. My unit is new, and has not experienced any issues thus far during the few flights I've made. I have an email into support so we'll see what they have to say. The online chat was not helpful. If in doubt I may just return it for exchange since new. I'd rather not send a brand new unit to Dji for repair, especially if as intermittent as we are experiencing. Certainly an interesting error since my understanding is that this compass is not mechanical.

Error messages should be taken seriously. This is not like a Check Engine light on your riding mower. When sometime the size of your drone falls from the sky because it's confused not knowing any direction, needs to be grounded until it is properly repaired.

Reactions: Neon Euc
Big 0

Mines a 2 month old P3A so well within its warranty period. If DJI recommending sending for a repair, I think i'd do the same and return to the retailer for an exchange.

The response email I received from DJI support suggested the standard recommendations .....redo the calibration in another location outside, perform IMU, and make sure the firmware is the latest. I've already done these things multiple times. They suggested if these recommendations don't work to send it to them for further diagnostics. With that I contacted the distributor (Adoroma) and they've made the exchange process painless. Had this unit been out of warranty I would have replaced the $15 compass, which probably is the root cause.

Below is the final response I received from DJI Support concerning the compass stuck error.

Once the unit has an error Compass Stuck or compass error, failed calibration we inform our customer to send it to the facility, because having that kind of error meaning there is an internal part of the unit that is not functioning correctly.

Last edited:
I just got a P3P and have experienced the same "compass stuck" error almost every time I have flown it. I've calibrated the compass most of the times hoping it would help but it doesn't seem to make a difference. The error pops up when attempting to take off, then after it goes away everything seems fine. I've flown it 0.3 miles away at 350' and it returns to home like it should. Its steady and flies great.

Having read some of the posts here it has me concerned that maybe I shouldn't be flying it until the error is fixed. Also reading about the "fly away" issues it seems they are related to compass issues. The retailer it was purchased from doesn't have any in stock right now!

Reactions: dexter82
Can someone post a screenshot of this error message? Perhaps this has to do with the compass calibration of your device, i.e. Phone, tablet, etc.

Very interesting thought! The device compass never occurred to me. It could be that. I also get errors when I manually attempt to set a home point (it automatically sets one when I turn the RC and AC on, but I'm not able to change it after that).

3f759accbfff3c8e3479ba498b7a3f13.jpg

Good day to you all and a happy New Year, my first post here..
I've been experiencing the same issue with my new P3P, occasional "compass stuck" messages that were disappearing after few seconds without affecting the flight.
Recalibrating the compass didn't help.
I stopped having them after upgrading to the new firmware (1.10 from 1.6) and doing a cold IMU calibration. I haven't done a compass calibration since it's snowing here for the last couple of days and I can't get out.
What I'm noticing is that there is now a short "aircraft warm up period" of about 10-15 seconds that was missing from my initial configuration.
Could this error be attributed to the lack of proper aircraft warming? Just my two cents..

I've never had this message before. I updated to the latest firmware for the P3A three days ago and updated the app. First flight I get that message have had to reboot and it's not come up again so far. If it comes up again I will speak to Dji as it's in warranty. I just don't want to send it back and I don't want to risk flying it with a faulty Compass

Sent from my SM-G935F using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have also had this message with my P3A a couple of times. Re starting the drone or moving it to another location seems to work for me. The first time, the warning popped up and went almost immediately, and did not notice it until I checked the flight log on Healthy Drones ! I now check more carefully, and as part of my pre flight check - let the drone hover for a minute or so and fly it around a bit (within close distance of me) before I go any real distance.

Reactions: Sparky1963
Mine seems to do it every time I first attempt to take off. The error goes away pretty quick and I don't restart anything. Everything seems to work fine once it goes away. I've done a handful of flights and haven't noticed any issues at all.

I did update the firmware before using it, but have not done an IMU calibration. I've checked the IMU and it says calibration not needed. Did a couple of compass calibrations in different areas but that doesn't seem to stop the error.

I want to try an IMU calibration but am hesitant after hearing about the warm-up time issue.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18