Compass error

Reaction score
I flew my P3S for the second time on Saturday. Two flights from roughly the same location. First flight went without hitch, however the second flight I re-stored the 'home' position. Prior to take off it said compass error.
I calibrated accordingly, from memory I recollect the app telling me 'compass error atti mode'.
The flight went without incident and I successfully activated RTH.
Reviewing the flight it showed a compass error message.
Sorry for rambling text but does this seem like same issue? The issue appears only to have lasted a few seconds and the quad didn't seem to be effected.
Any views...
P.S: prior to the flight log showing the compass error, 'weak gps signal' appeared.

Any large metal (like a truck) objects or power lines near by? I know I had a hard time calibrating mine, because I was unknowingly using the tail gate of my truck as a work bench.

Happens to me from time to time. I've got a P3 advanced. I've changed the compass. It's random in nature, from my experience. I've found that the two screws that hold the compass cover on were a little loose a couple times, but I'm not sure that was the cause. I'd be very careful about using RTH after compass error. This is precisely how fly always happen....

I flew my P3 for about my 10th flight. I had trouble getting thru the calibration, kept saying compass error. Finally got ready to fly.
Auto take off, and P3 does not just hover but moves back and forth about 10 feet or so.
I decide I should just land as I really don't seem to have control. Lowered P3 but it just goes along the ground skidding under truck, even though throttle is off P3 motors still going.
Lucky no damage. Calibrated again.
Auto take off, flew no problems RTH worked.
After downloading videos noticed dates on files
The one that was a disaster 1-02-14
Others that were good flights correct date 1-03-17

Just searching for answers

I flew my P3 for about my 10th flight. I had trouble getting thru the calibration, kept saying compass error. Finally got ready to fly.
Auto take off, and P3 does not just hover but moves back and forth about 10 feet or so.
I decide I should just land as I really don't seem to have control. Lowered P3 but it just goes along the ground skidding under truck, even though throttle is off P3 motors still going.
Lucky no damage. Calibrated again.
Auto take off, flew no problems RTH worked.

Just searching for answers
Welcome to the forum!

Is the one from Jan 2nd, 2014, will it play?

"Lowered P3 but it just goes along the ground skidding under truck, even though throttle is off P3 motors still going. "
Did you lower it or try to land it?

Throttle wasn't off, the hold down left control, will stop the motors when the Phantom thinks has descended, the barometer is determining if its landed, if is bouncing around that's exactly what happens.

Auto take off, usually goes up about 4', just about the height of a kids head, bring it up to about 10'.

"P3 does not just hover but moves back and forth about 10 feet or so."
Satellite lock?, How many satellites did you have?

How, much wind?
Back and forth, random?, left / right?, up and down?, turning like a compass fix?

Rod

Welcome to the forum!

Is the one from Jan 2nd, 2014, will it play?
Yes it played
"Lowered P3 but it just goes along the ground skidding under truck, even though throttle is off P3 motors still going. "
Did you lower it or try to land it?yes

Throttle wasn't off, the hold down left control, will stop the motors when the Phantom thinks has descended, the barometer is determining if its landed, if is bouncing around that's exactly what happens.I did push throttle all the way down but not to the left t kill t motors (panicked)

Auto take off, usually goes up about 4', just about the height of a kids head, bring it up to about 10'.
P3 went about 4 feet and started moving back and forth.

Satellite lock?, How many satellites did you have?9 or 10

How, much wind?no wind
Back and forth, random?, left / right?, up and down?, turning like a compass fix? Left and right.

Rod

I will give some ideas, if you answer my questions. ;) I answered above but did not highlight the answerers it was hard to tell.

Rod
Welcome to the forum!

The one that was a disaster 1-02-14 Date modified was actually Jan 1, 2014 (attached file)

Is the one from Jan 2nd, 2014, will it play? yes it played.

Did you lower it or try to land it?
I was wanting to land was lowering and brought stick down Lowered P3 but it just goes along the ground skidding under truck, even though throttle is off P3 motors still going. "

Throttle wasn't off, the hold down left control, will stop the motors when the Phantom thinks has descended, the barometer is determining if its landed, if is bouncing around that's exactly what happens.
I did push throttle all the way down but not to the left t kill t motors (panicked)

P3 went about 4 feet and started moving back and forth.

Satellite lock?, How many satellites did you have?
9 or 10
How, much wind? no wind
Back and forth, random?, left / right?, up and down?, turning like a compass fix? move left to right

Rod

Attachments

• IMG_3631.JPG
    IMG_3631.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 296
Sorry man, I have no clue, these were the questions...

#1 Is the one from Jan 2nd, 2014, will it play?

#2 Did you lower it or try to land it?

#3 Satellite lock?,
#4 How many satellites did you have?

#5 How much wind?

# 6 random?, left / right?, up and down?, turning like a compass fix?

I don't see any answers.

Rod

Sorry man, I have no clue, these were the questions...

#1 Is the one from Jan 2nd, 2014, will it play?Date modified was actually Jan 1, 2014 (attached file)

#2 Did you lower it or try to land it?

#3 Satellite lock?,
#4 How many satellites did you have?

#5 How much wind?

# 6 random?, left / right?, up and down?, turning like a compass fix?

I don't see any answers.

Rod
Try again.
#1 Date modified was actually Jan 1, 2014 (attached file) and it played.

#2 I was wanting to land was lowering and brought stick down Lowered P3 but it just goes along the ground skidding under truck, even though throttle is off P3 motors still going. I did push throttle all the way down but not to the left to kill motors (panicked)

#3 yes got ready to fly message once it took off then received compass error again

#4 9 or 10 satellites

#5 No Wind

#6 Moved to the left and right when I lowered came hard to my left.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_3631.JPG
    IMG_3631.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 282
Have you played back your flight? You can bring up a screen overlay, that shows your remote control moments, then you will know if you should calibrate the remote.

Also if up load your flight file to @msinger 's logger and share the link here, I or somebody will have a better idea of errors on the phantom.
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Modified date is odd, create date being correct and you can play it, no concern to me now.

Check out this compass thread.
Compass Calibration, A Complete Primer

Have you always used the throttle down procedure to land it?

Rod

Last edited:
I flew my P3Standard up in the mountains last week, away from all kinds of interference. This time I decided to try not to do the compass calibration dance since many forum members say it's not necessary if you have a good calibration and you are not too far away. Well I was one hour drive from my last calibration location.
So I started flying and have never before had an issue flying. But this time shortly after take off I got the message "Compass error, exiting GPS mode", and it started flying away from me fast (probably just drifting with the rather strong winds). So I steered it back to me and landed, did the dance and flew again without a problem.
So lesson learned: I will always do the compass "dance", unless I repeatedly fly in the same neighbourhood....

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Have played back your flight? You can bring up a screen overlay, that shows your remote control moments, then you will know if you should calibrate the remote.

Also if up load your flight file to @msinger 's logger and share the link here, I or somebody will have a better idea of errors on the phantom.
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Modified date is odd, create date being correct and you can play it, no concern to me now.

Check out this compass thread.
Compass Calibration, A Complete Primer

Have you always used the throttle down procedure to land it?

Rod
I will try upload tomorrow. I watch today not sure anything recorded. I can also upload video from the camera if someone can tell me where.

I flew my P3Standard up in the mountains last week, away from all kinds of interference. This time I decided to try not to do the compass calibration dance since many forum members say it's not necessary if you have a good calibration and you are not too far away. Well I was one hour drive from my last calibration location.
So I started flying and have never before had an issue flying. But this time shortly after take off I got the message "Compass error, exiting GPS mode", and it started flying away from me fast (probably just drifting with the rather strong winds). So I steered it back to me and landed, did the dance and flew again without a problem.
So lesson learned: I will always do the compass "dance", unless I repeatedly fly in the same neighbourhood....

How long have you been flying, how many different locations?
My thought is you didn't have a good calibration the last time you did one, maybe good enough for that flight / area. Yeah I'm reaching, but I think a lot. :rolleyes:
I used to do it before every flight, I think I last did mine before May 2016.

Rod

QUOTE="gbfan41649, post: 1045159, member: 81941"]I will try upload tomorrow. I watch today not sure anything recorded. I can also upload video from the camera if someone can tell me where.[/QUOTE]
The video would be the least important at the moment.

#1 Have you played back your flight log on the app and watched your remote control movements?

#2 Have you always used the throttle down procedure to land it?

Rod

QUOTE="gbfan41649, post: 1045159, member: 81941"]I will try upload tomorrow. I watch today not sure anything recorded. I can also upload video from the camera if someone can tell me where.
The video would be the least important at the moment.

#1 Have you played back your flight log on the app and watched your remote control movements?

#2 Have you always used the throttle down procedure to land it?

Rod[/QUOTE]
# 1 yes can really tell anything
# 2 not sure what you are asking, P# was only about 4' off ground so I throttled down to try to get it to land due to the erratic flying and compass error alert.

How long have you been flying, how many different locations?
My thought is you didn't have a good calibration the last time you did one, maybe good enough for that flight / area. Yeah I'm reaching, but I think a lot. :rolleyes:
I used to do it before every flight, I think I last did mine before May 2016.

Rod

I have been flying for a year. I have always gotten good compass calibrations. Or so it seems. The only time I got a Compass error mid flight was this one time I decided to not do one..... So from now, I will always do it.

I always do a "compass dance" every time I fly the "Gnat" I learned my lesson the hard way. Didn't do the dance... flew it 250m away and dummy me did a RTH and the freaking "Gnat" landed itself on a 3 storey house roof, tumbled over and ended on the roof gutter. Luckily just cosmetic damage and one rotor broke. I ALWAYS do the dance regardless! :)

Reactions: toegema

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TimCJWolfe