Compass calibration

FCD

Reaction score
Unusual questionI I think. Would hip or knee replacements throw off the compass calibration?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

You should be fine if you hold your Phantom away from your hip/knee.

Also, what is the material that is used? IE... is it ferrous?
You could place a compass near the area where the replacements are and see if there is any interference.
Either use a "real" compass or get a compass app on your phone/tablet and use that.

You only need to do it once, maybe have a friend calibrate for you if you are concerned?

I'm really glad you brought this up, FCD, 'cause I have two hip replacements, myself. It is certainly something about which to be mindful, because MY hips, I know from experience, DO set off the wands at airports, even though they're supposedly titanium & cobalt chrome. They will probably throw off the Phantom 3 Standard I just bought, but haven't yet flown because of winter snow and slush here in South Central Oregon. I will now remind myself to be wary of it, thanks to you, FCD; thanks!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

It might be interesting to try what I posted above....
using a real compass or a compass app., see if there is an influence from your replacements when you get close. Just a test and to verify IF your replacements affect the quad's compass.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl