compass calibration only half works..?

Reaction score
today my phantom is acting up. i went to do the compass calibration in the horizontal and it got the green really fast as it always does..but now i can't get it to calibrate vertically(nose down)
it has always worked well..but nose down seems to take a lot longer. besides that when it did calibrate earlier it started to raise r.p.m.'s just string at idle right before i took off. i did the advanced calibration the tried the compass dance again..still no luck nose down.
any ideas?

by the way..i have read a number of posts now saying this is a known issue..but that was in 2013!
is there any resolution to?
even though the numbers look normal i am wondering if i should try to wave a magnet around it and see if i can screw it up and then calibrate it again.

thumpinhard said:
by the way..i have read a number of posts now saying this is a known issue..but that was in 2013!
is there any resolution to?
even though the numbers look normal i am wondering if i should try to wave a magnet around it and see if i can screw it up and then calibrate it again.

Try an advanced IMU calibration and try again?

For me horizontal is always easy but nose down has been more challenging to get it to go.

I have better success for whatever reason doing both where I actually rotated with the bird and not just trying to rotate to bird.

update: this must be a fluke..but i read in a post that someone flicked the compass(probably out of desperation) and then it calibrated. yesterday after trying in 5 different places including 2 that had been ok before,i went to a nearly location away from power lines etc. and tried flicking the compass hard a few times and then did the compass dance. this time the nose down went green and it was pretty quick. i gave it a test flight and it was fine..although i noticed when i tried it without the props on as a test to see how the motors responded to the controls it would raise rpm's at times and not slow down unless i pushed the lever down all the way for a bit. this is not consistent but since it would always respond i decided to fly it as a test since it at least calibrated correctly.
everything worked ok..the r.p.m's seemed ok.
since i was thinking this was a fluke i brought it home where it would not calibrate nose down after several attempts and low and behold it calibrated easily nose down.
i still think it could not be related..but for now it works so i will report back with anything new.

The reason your bird isn't flying straight is your compass is most likely not happy. It's either magnetized, malfunctioning or there is something on your bird interfering with it. Check your mod value. I bet it's way off.

If you want to keep, don't fly it until the mod value is in range and you have calibrated it properly.

i already checked out the compass..it is in spec. it does calibrate now..in fact really well. but now after hovering and testing for a couple of minutes and after having a couple of good flights today it just drifted to the right and hit a tree and went upside down in the water!
i have been so careful and have been flying with an expert friend..and now her vision won't calibrate and the compass seems to have good numbers.. i don't get it. dji has a problem. if i had done something wrong i would know it as i am a technician with some good skills and thought mine was doing just fine. now it is in pieces drying and praying for a miracle.

Mine took a bit more than 360 in the vertical (nose down).

ussvertigo said:
are you doing a complete 360 turn for each hor and vert turns?
i went in circles until i was dizzy. it just turned green horizontal and that was it.
i was using a friends p-1 the other day and it did the same thing once. i kept doing it until it worked.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl