Compass Calibration in differents locations...

Reaction score
If I already did a "Compass Calibration" in Point A and I want to fly the drone in Point B that is 8 miles away from Point A, Should I do a new "Compass Calibration in Point B? (Hate doing "Compass Calibration")

You might see it start to fly erratically. It would be best to stay clear of all power lines.

What is the drone behavior when it gets too close to a HV transmission line?
Lots of variables, how close, how much current etc.
If close enough the compass will be affected by the electromagnetic field surrounding the conductors and its ability to fly straight will be affected.
SImple remedy is to get further back if you are ever in this situation.

If I already did a "Compass Calibration" in Point A and I want to fly the drone in Point B that is 8 miles away from Point A, Should I do a new "Compass Calibration in Point B? (Hate doing "Compass Calibration")

:eek: Wow...and to think I "Hate" that I'm so lazy I couldn't do a 20 second process and then lost out on the replacement cost for a new Phantom 3.

It's true that earths magnetic field doesn't change at short distances and it's not necessary to calibrate every time you fly.

Also it's such a simple process that I do every time I fly even at the same location. If you follow the calibration process there are low chances of making mistake. You will get alerts if calibration fails due to any reason.

I know many will not agree with me. I suggest follow your instincts.

Reactions: SGs and metal69rock
I agree with you.

It's true that earths magnetic field doesn't change at short distances and it's not necessary to calibrate every time you fly.

Also it's such a simple process that I do every time I fly even at the same location. If you follow the calibration process there are low chances of making mistake. You will get alerts if calibration fails due to any reason.

I know many will not agree with me. I suggest follow your instincts.
The substrate can have a profound affect on on the EM field. That is why calibration over concrete with rebar often fails.

I calibrate when I change location even if that location is 4 miles, I don't once I am there and change batteries.

:eek: Wow...and to think I "Hate" that I'm so lazy I couldn't do a 20 second process and then lost out on the replacement cost for a new Phantom 3.
At first I thought you were going to say couldn't do a 20 second search to see how many countless dozens of times this question has been asked and answered. ;-)

Have you noticed that when you are traveling in electric trains like suburban trains, your phone calibration gets disturbed due to electromagnetic noise and your phone prompts you to recalibrate in you are using an app that needs compass. This is just one instance, there are many which can disturb compass calibration during traveling. If my car garage is open and a car passes by, garage lights turn on by sensing the radiated EM noise. If you are near a power transformer, your compass goes cranky.

In short there is nothing wrong in checking if all is ok or recalibrate compass if you feel so. P3 rejects if it's a bad calibration at site.

I haven't calibrated in a couple of months, since Ianwood's little diatribe came out. No, calibration isn't hard or time consuming although people did tend to look at me funny ('why is that strange man going in a circle?') but I haven't missed doing it. Typically fly in a 20 mile radius of home.

As part of pre flight, I check the compass mod value to ensure it's something around 1450.

YMMV.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl