Compass Calibration after a crash ??

Reaction score
Guys,

This morning I crashed my bird, my stupidity.

This is embarrassing, I was shooting video footage this morning at about 18 ft high and decided to move my bird little bit backwards to obtain a better angle on my video, before making this move I should have looked what was behind it, when all of the sudden I heard a noise of my propellers rubbing against the tree branches. I could not get out of the tree anymore, the bird was totally entangled but the engines kept running making a loud noise. I immediately performed the infamous Combination Stick Command (CSC) to stop the motors, it worked, the engine stopped. I went to retrieve the bird from the tree, the propellers seem to be okay. Although there is one that has a little bit of wobble. At this point I am not going to take any chances and use the second fresh pair that came with the bird.
Everything seems fine, except I was trying to fly the bird again with a fresh pair of propellers but I am getting messages to calibrate the compass. For some odd reason the engines will not fire up, the RC keeps telling giving me Compass Error - calibration required.

Did I cause damage to the compass?.

Guys,

This morning I crashed my bird, my stupidity.

This is embarrassing, I was shooting video footage this morning at about 18 ft high and decided to move my bird little bit backwards to obtain a better angle on my video, before making this move I should have looked what was behind it, when all of the sudden I heard a noise of my propellers rubbing against the tree branches. I could not get out of the tree anymore, the bird was totally entangled but the engines kept running making a loud noise. I immediately performed the infamous Combination Stick Command (CSC) to stop the motors, it worked, the engine stopped. I went to retrieve the bird from the tree, the propellers seem to be okay. Although there is one that has a little bit of wobble. At this point I am not going to take any chances and use the second fresh pair that came with the bird.
Everything seems fine, except I was trying to fly the bird again with a fresh pair of propellers but I am getting messages to calibrate the compass. For some odd reason the engines will not fire up, the RC keeps telling giving me Compass Error - calibration required.

Coming from Me...anytime you crash it's good to take all precautions and make sure things are as they should be. If it was my aircraft, I would calibrate everything. The question you might see me asking is what is the best sequence for doing the calibrations. As in which should I do 1st and continue with?

The Cold IMU is where I would start. Don't forget the R/C sticks and Gimbal calibrations. The last one would be the compass prior to flight.

The Cold IMU is where I would start. Don't forget the R/C sticks and Gimbal calibrations. The last one would be the compass prior to flight.

Trying to keep my head up after this crash.. I feel so stupid the way i crashed. Other times I have been flying at 30 mph at 250 ft high and 2 miles away without any issues.

Funny that you mention the R/C sticks, when I powered everything backup right after the crash I had a message on the screen to check the position of the sticks in the R/C.

Since I am still in diapers when it comes to this, what is Cold IMU Calibration?. I have been reading the manual and I do not see it.

I am getting messages to calibrate the compass. For some odd reason the engines will not fire up, the RC keeps telling giving me Compass Error - calibration required.
From your description, it sounds unlikely that the crash would have any effect at all on the compass.
First up, check the compass data in the app to make sure that there are numbers there rather than zero which would indicate a broken or disconnected compass.
The most likely cause of the error message you are seeing would be that you are attempting to start the Phantom close to the magnetic field of some steel, reinforced concrete or electrical cable.
Try moving it to a different spot and see if you still have the message.

From your description, it sounds unlikely that the crash would have any effect at all on the compass.
First up, check the compass data in the app to make sure that there are numbers there rather than zero which would indicate a broken or disconnected compass.
The most likely cause of the error message you are seeing would be that you are attempting to start the Phantom close to the magnetic field of some steel, reinforced concrete or electrical cable.
Try moving it to a different spot and see if you still have the message.

When I crashed this morning I was slowly backing up, no more than 3 miles an hour. That's the reason I feel so stupid about this......

Thanks, I will check for all of that.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl