Cheap Storage/Transportation Idea

vgt

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Just recently bought my Phantom 2, and got tired of it tipping over in my car on the way to places. Not thrilled about spending a bunch of money on a custom case (yet), so I spent $20 at Home Depot and came up with this. Works well, everything is nice and secure (can turn it upside down, shake it, etc). As a bonus, once the gear is unpacked, you can flip the box over it and use it as a takeoff/landing surface.

The PVC Tube contains two full sets of props.

I just picked up a can of stain to make it look a little nicer. This will certainly do for local trips storage around the house, thought it might be useful for anyone else who didn't feel like spending on a custom case.

Nice Job. And plenty of room for other things too.

I too haven't bought a case yet,and being a carpenter i think ill make one as well.maybe with a hinged cover in case some rain comes up and I'm out somewhere.
as far as travel goes the phantoms going back in the box it came in and carry on.
good job.
Flybynight

Great idea.

I bought one of those back packs off ebay for $45 shipped. I needed to cut out the foam in a few areas but that was easy and kind of fun. Well worth the money.

Attachments

• 20150203_200230.jpg
    20150203_200230.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 467
tcope said:
I bought one of those back packs off ebay for $45 shipped. I needed to cut out the foam in a few areas but that was easy and kind of fun. Well worth the money.
I had that same backpack. Be careful because the shoulder straps break easily. Mine broke when I was carrying and it fell to the ground. I now got a much better though more expensive GPC backpack.

The crate was a cool idea. Would have been good before I got my backpacks.

paulajayne said:
What a "crate" idea ----

Isn't it? I wooden have thought of it.

A standard milk crate accomplishes almost the same thing, except you have to drop the remote on top of the bird, and it is not quite as good looking. Also, I don't strap mine in, I like the straps you used!

One question, what size is that PVC pipe? I'd like to do the same thing but I'm going to put it vertically in one of the hollows between the arms, in my milk crate. I'm tired of the props just floating around in the bottom of the box.

jahjahwarrior said:
A standard milk crate accomplishes almost the same thing, except you have to drop the remote on top of the bird, and it is not quite as good looking. Also, I don't strap mine in, I like the straps you used!

One question, what size is that PVC pipe? I'd like to do the same thing but I'm going to put it vertically in one of the hollows between the arms, in my milk crate. I'm tired of the props just floating around in the bottom of the box.

Yep, a milk crate would have done, but I didn't have one. This crate was only $11, too. PVC is 3" - I though the 2.5" would work when I was eyeballing it in the store, but when I got home it was too narrow to accept even one full set of props, due to how thick the center of each prop is. Going up to 3" leaves room for two full sets, and room to add 1-2 more sets.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl