Charging RC and Battery together

The chargers are designed to turn off when the battery is fully charged.
I would imagine that you would end up over charging one or the other and could end up with a fire.

There is no risk of over charging however overall charge time will be slower and you may find the power supply runs hotter and lifespan may be reduced.

The chargers are designed to turn off when the battery is fully charged.
I would imagine that you would end up over charging one or the other and could end up with a fire.
It's the charge circuitry in the battery and remote that determines end point if charge cycle. No risk of overcharging.

IIRC the remote is 2s, the flight batt is 4s. The circuitry senses which is connected and adjusts output. Connecting both confuses that process and causes bad things to happen

IIRC the remote is 2s, the flight batt is 4s. The circuitry senses which is connected and adjusts output. Connecting both confuses that process and causes bad things to happen
Are you sure about this? There is no reason why the charging supply would need to switch output voltage (batt and controller almost certainly do this internally). I have charged a flat controller from a battery simply by connecting both and turning the battery on (power supply not plugged in). If what you are saying was correct this would not have worked.

Are you sure about this? There is no reason why the charging supply would need to switch output voltage (batt and controller almost certainly do this internally). I have charged a flat controller from a battery simply by connecting both and turning the battery on (power supply not plugged in). If what you are saying was correct this would not have worked.

There is a big reason why the power supply would need to switch output. I was a little off in my memory though. The remote is not 2s, but even lower. (see link,) You do not want to feed the remote 4s, you will fry the remote circuitry, the remote batt or something, as the P3 4s voltage is 3 plus times higher.

But what I am really sure about is DJI says don't do this. I am guessing they know what they are talking about.

Transmitter Battery Pack for DJI Phantom

Chargers have a maximum output (amps) at a set voltage, It's like opening a water tap, it does not matter how big your glass is you wont get water faster it will just take more time to fill it. The battery determines the max amps it can take ( it can take 4C but 1C will still charge the battery as long as you have the proper voltage) and if it can't get the max it's just going to have to charge longer to get to 100%. Running your charger at maximum output may reduce it's life span caused by the high amp flow generating heat but should not harm the batteries charging circuit. Heat is the big killer of power supplies, and if you get a short circuit and the charger has no internal protection (and I don't know if they do) well your charger is toast. All this said the batteries have a smart controller and if that screws up it should shut down and if that fails your guess is as good as mine.

If you want to charge both the remote and batt at the same time look for something like this. It is the one I have and have used for a year now. Although it is out of stock so you will have to Google some more. It charges 3 batts simultaneously along with the remote. It has 4 separate internal power supplies to do this. It is not relying on switching like the DJI power supply
E-accexpert Multi Battery and Remote Control Charger 4 in 1 Parallel Charger Board for DJI Phantom 3 - - Amazon.com
I have one similar to that and it works well, it has a cooling fan and that makes a big difference.

Chargers have a maximum output (amps) at a set voltage, It's like opening a water tap, it does not matter how big your glass is you wont get water faster it will just take more time to fill it. The battery determines the max amps it can take ( it can take 4C but 1C will still charge the battery as long as you have the proper voltage) and if it can't get the max it's just going to have to charge longer to get to 100%. Running your charger at maximum output may reduce it's life span caused by the high amp flow generating heat but should not harm the batteries charging circuit. Heat is the big killer of power supplies, and if you get a short circuit and the charger has no internal protection (and I don't know if they do) well your charger is toast. All this said the batteries have a smart controller and if that screws up it should shut down and if that fails your guess is as good as mine.

You are confusing C (amps) and S (volts). That will get you in big trouble

There is a big reason why the power supply would need to switch output. I was a little off in my memory though. The remote is not 2s, but even lower. (see link,) You do not want to feed the remote 4s, you will fry the remote circuitry, the remote batt or something, as the P3 4s voltage is 3 plus times higher.

But what I am really sure about is DJI says don't do this. I am guessing they know what they are talking about.

The PSU does not switch to supply lower voltage to the remote. It's cheaper and simpler to put a voltage regulator in the remote than switching circuitry in the power supply.

The PSU does not switch to supply lower voltage to the remote.

You are right, trying to keep things simple. The PSU is a PSU. All of the control circuitry is in the batt. Thats why its called a smart batt. The P3 batt is 3x higher voltage than the remote. The PSU puts out one level and each batt circuitry regulates it. But when 2 different Vregs are on the same circuit, the higher one wins and lets the magic blue smoke out of the lower one.

Magic blue smoke is required to fly :eek:

You are right, trying to keep things simple. The PSU is a PSU. All of the control circuitry is in the batt. Thats why its called a smart batt. The P3 batt is 3x higher voltage than the remote. The PSU puts out one level and each batt circuitry regulates it. But when 2 different Vregs are on the same circuit, the higher one wins and lets the magic blue smoke out of the lower one.

Magic blue smoke is required to fly :eek:
Not true..... The reg modifies the output, not the upstream supply.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanMan32
Sounds like you have it all figured out. Just charge both together. The heck with what DJI says. What do they know anyway?
I am almost sorry I asked for clarification. You said, with respect to the charger "The circuitry senses which is connected and adjusts output". I assumed you actually knew something that hadn't been discussed before however it seems it was purely an assumption.

That is for the original Phantom. The P3 battery looks nothing like that and is 2S.
Replacement battery for a DJI Phantom 3 Pro remote

There is no risk at all if you can monitor the temperature of charger, you can charge battery and remote together. If ambient is low, no risk at all. If ambient is 49deg Celsius , keep a cooling fan to cool down the charger if you are charging both together. :)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Erised and sonof40
Indeed DJI doesn't recommend charging both as it might not be able to produce the minimum current needed, especially the charger that comes with the P3A.
At the very least it will be working harder than designed.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Like Alok said it's all about the cooling. I've charged both together, monitoring temp, and there was no problem. Companies have to be overly cautious in their print.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl