Charging Controller

Reaction score
Hi all, new to forum and new pilot. Can I use my iPhone and/or iPad wall charger to charge the RC for my P3S? Any difference in each considering they are different watts.

As your ipad charger can deliver 2A it won't be an issue. Current spec (1A/2A) is the maximum it can deliver to the device if the device draws it.

No idea, I assume so if that's what they have. I just a standard 2A usb charger that I use for my android phone (apple chargers will be no different). I mention 2A as it's always better to have a charger that can deliver more juice (less current = slower charging).

Any USB charger such as mobile phone will be fine.

Nigel

It seems to not care what type of charger you have hooked up to it.... as long as it's 5V. I've used my USB on my computer. The 1A charger that came with my phone. The Belkin 2.1A charger that I bought. And a made in China portable solar powered USB charger thing that I have.

The main point is do not try to push more than 2A into the battery. The leads and size of cell - a 1S lipo - are not designed for such load.

Nigel

The main point is do not try to push more than 2A into the battery. The leads and size of cell - a 1S lipo - are not designed for such load

Charging current is determined by the circuitry in the controller (you can't just hook up power directly to a lipo which is a sure recipe for a fire). You can't 'push' more current than it needs so it doesn't matter what capacity USB wal wart you use. I mentioned 2A that because it is always more useful to buy bigger in case you want to use it to charge your phone or other devices.

Charging current is determined by the circuitry in the controller (you can't just hook up power directly to a lipo which is a sure recipe for a fire). You can't 'push' more current than it needs so it doesn't matter what capacity USB wal wart you use. I mentioned 2A that because it is always more useful to buy bigger in case you want to use it to charge your phone or other devices.

Your reply is correct partly ... because some will supply CA not CV .... and that means the charger will try to push those amps at a system that is just not designed for it.

Second - who ever said hook up power direct to a LiPo .... certainly NOT ME !!

Usually what occurs is Constant Voltage ... ie 5V (CV) from a USB charger ... with maximum mA rating. The battery level and circuits will then demand xx mA at that CV rate. As the battery charges up the mA rate drops as the resistance to charge increases, but CV remains same.

BUT there are chargers out there which are CONSTANT AMPS (CA) which can really spoil your day ... as then the voltage rises as battery charges up to maintain the amp rate ... basically death to your controller battery and circuitry.

Most RC transmitters are not suited to much over 1A charge rate to their batterys VIA THE RADIO CASE socket. Take the battery pack out and its then your decision what rate within capability of the pack. No longer do you have to take care about the circuitry and diode protection. BUT the DJI controller is a fixed battery pack and unless you modify - you are limited to charge via the case socket. People are plugging in 2A chargers - but I doubt very much 2A is actually going in ... as the batterys are usually at reasonable charge state. All you have is potential 2A.

Nigel

because some will supply CA not CV .... and that means the charger will try to push those amps at a system that is just not designed for it.

I'm aware of this ;) but.......

BUT the DJI controller is a fixed battery pack and unless you modify - you are limited to charge via the case socket. People are plugging in 2A chargers - but I doubt very much 2A is actually going in ... as the batterys are usually at reasonable charge state. All you have is potential 2A.

.........I think you are confusing the OP's P3S with the rest of the phantom range. The P3S controller charges through a USB connection, which is the point of the OP's question.

PS BTW I understand P3 controller batteries are 2S not 1S (at least for the GL300's)

Last edited:
I'm aware of this ;) but.......

.........I think you are confusing the OP's P3S with the rest of the phantom range. The P3S controller charges through a USB connection, which is the point of the OP's question.

I am aware OP is referring to a P3S and is what I have as well ... so fully aware how it charges.

PS BTW I understand P3 controller batteries are 2S not 1S (at least for the GL300's)

Please check P3S manual and specs ..... Tx pack is 2600mAh 18650 at 3.7v .... marked on Tx case back as : Battery : Lipo 2600mah 3.6v

That means a 1S ..... if it was a 2S - how would it charge from a USB source ?

Nigel

Please Google current USB specs. If it is a 'true' USB device (charger) it will abide by the current specs..

Some people do have chargers unsuitable but with micro USB plugs .... that is my point.

Nigel

Reactions: Philltayl
And a lot of those 'chargers' cause house fires.......

What is the problem ? Is my original post warning against using CA / high amp chargers not enough ?

Nigel

EDIT : Aplogies to Phill - I later realise his post was not aimed at me ...

Last edited:
Please check P3S manual and specs ..... Tx pack is 2600mAh 18650 at 3.7v .... marked on Tx case back as : Battery : Lipo 2600mah 3.6v

Fair enough - I stand corrected sir!

Is my original post warning against using CA / high amp chargers not enough

Fully understand where you are coming from now. However, it was somewhat OT and may well have confused the OP, who was only looking for guidance as to whether his 'normal' USB chargers were suitable for the task.

BTW what are these 'unsuitable' chargers with micro usb plugs?

Thanks guys. A little confused now. So, let me see if I have this...either iPhone or iPad wall charger is suitable for charging my P3S controller. iPad charger will be faster, but will not damage the controller? Correct?

Thanks guys. A little confused now. So, let me see if I have this...either iPhone or iPad wall charger is suitable for charging my P3S controller. iPad charger will be faster, but will not damage the controller? Correct?

Yes it is. they should both be the same if they are per USB specs

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl