Charge from inverter in the car?

Reaction score
In my Dodge Ram I have a 115V inverter that is specified to 150W.

Will this be enough to run the charger for the Phantom 2 so that I can charge "on the move"?

/Jocce

Plenty!

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

Just to throw in one more "yes" - I do this all the time with the inverter in my Jeep. I charge as I drive between shooting locations with the battery in a lipo bag.

Use a jumper pack with a cigarette port with a $20 inverter charger.
This means you can charge without having your car on.
You also now have a booster pack in your car to help others if they have a flat.

jumper%20pack.jpg

Car%20inverter.jpg

Does anyone know how much wattage the DJI Car Charger (or an aftermarket adapter) needs to charge a battery? I'd like to get a small solar panel to charge the batteries in remote locations. I'm hoping a 50watt panel will be enough. 30 watts would mean an even smaller panel!

It's a lot easier to put a roll-up solar panel in a backpack than a 12v "jump pack" like the one pictured above.

I asked DJI support for a response on this. I don't expect them to answer quickly but if they do I will update this post. In the meantime, if anyone knows the answer please let me know.

Thanks,
Michael

For that solar charger, you'd probably do best to couple it with a DJI (or third party) car charger. I don't know the exact efficiencies of either the AC or DC method; I'm just guessing that fewer conversions will yield better results.

DJI sells a 12V car charger for US$99. Or you can do what I did, and get a 3rd party 12V charger on Amazon (about 1/3 the cost of the DJI model) with an additional "stick" (US$10) that attaches to the charger so you can charge 3 batteries at once.

Yesterday, I charged 1 battery from about 30% to 100% in about 75 minutes with my third-party charger in the car while driving. Adding more batteries to the stick seems to take a bit longer, though.

photographix said:
DJI sells a 12V car charger for US$99. Or you can do what I did, and get a 3rd party 12V charger on Amazon (about 1/3 the cost of the DJI model) with an additional "stick" (US$10) that attaches to the charger so you can charge 3 batteries at once.

Yesterday, I charged 1 battery from about 30% to 100% in about 75 minutes with my third-party charger in the car while driving. Adding more batteries to the stick seems to take a bit longer, though.
Why waste a $100 on a proprietary charger when you can just get a **** good converter for the time price

eyecon82 said:
photographix said:

Why waste a $100 on a proprietary charger when you can just get a **** good converter for the time price

Yup.

Then you have the inverter for other uses too.

The DJI charger is a 'one trick pony'.

Mako79 said:
Use a jumper pack with a cigarette port with a $20 inverter charger.
This means you can charge without having your car on.
You also now have a booster pack in your car to help others if they have a flat.

jumper%20pack.jpg

Car%20inverter.jpg

I do the same using my inverter and jump pack

I charge my Phantom batteries in my car without any charger at all. All the balancing and cutoff stuff are in the battery. All you need is a plug to the power output in your car and a home made plug for the battery. Works perfect. All you need cost $10 in your local hardware shop.

Ok enough, what is a 'lipo bag',why use them and where do you buy them?

promocop said:
Ok enough, what is a 'lipo bag',why use them and where do you buy them?
Its a bag designed to contain battery contents in case it exlpodes or leaks

They can be bought anywhere, like amazon, but a lot of people just use old Vietnam War ammo boxes bought from army surplus stores for cheap

Good to know. Tks. So I shouldn't leave them In my beautiful custom cut case?

promocop said:
Good to know. Tks. So I shouldn't leave them In my beautiful custom cut case?
I wouldn't worry unless you are storing for extended periods of time in full charge

Please define "extended periods"? Now i'm really paranoid about explosions and fires. Bought some small tin containers to put the batt in when charging and I'm not starring at while its being charged!

promocop said:
Please define "extended periods"? Now i'm really paranoid about explosions and fires. Bought some small tin containers to put the batt in when charging and I'm not starring at while its being charged!
30+ days

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl