Change Phantom Rate of Descend...

Reaction score
Hello..
Still learning...
I Got my replacement Phantom from B&H, and when it arrived the installed firmware updated was Version 3.12 updated from 3.08 in my previous Phantom.
With the first Phantom, I could control the rate of descent a lot faster than this new version....
Even on GO HOME when it returns, it descends Really slow...
On Manual the descent if really slow also.
How can I increase the rate of descent, if not on return, at least on manual?
In Phantom Mode.

Also the camera gimbal up and down movement with the wheel on the transmitter is slow to go into the up position..
It moves down very quickly...
I tried to adjust it with the DJI Vision Software, but can't seam to make it move quickly and smoothly...
Thanks for Advice in Advance!

In general, its good to leave the rate of the descent how it is. The rate is calculated based off of previous firmwares where users reported "prop wash". This phenomenon is when you descend too fast for a long period of time and your Phantom basically looses the ability to push the air down as it is getting sucked in its own prop wash. This causes uncontrolled descent and often causes a hard landing or crash.

Atomic08, it's not possible to modify the descent speed since it's hard-coded in the firmware.

You should be able to fix the tilt wheel speed issue by recalibrating your remote controller exactly like this:

Last edited:
Reactions: Clutch33
Atomic08 said:
I Got my replacement Phantom from B&H, and when it arrived the installed firmware updated was Version 3.12 updated from 3.08 in my previous Phantom.
With the first Phantom, I could control the rate of descent a lot faster than this new version....
DJI set the descent speed to 2 m/sec 30 April 2014 - nearly a year ago in 3.02.
In 3.08 (and several firmware versions before that) you had no way around that.

Thank You all..
msinger thank you for the video, but It did not fix my camera..it still jerks around when I try to tilt it
up and down using the wheel on the transmitter. Out of the box the wheel to me seamed backwards,
when I turned the wheel up, the camera tilted down and vise versa. I calibrated the wheel using the
DJI vision assistant program to rev and now it works like I think it should work, but still is jerky.
I'll post a video this weekend when my daughter comes home to show what it does... Maybe I am being too picky, but I thought the camera should move more fluid, not jerky. You can see it in the videos I take,
but when I see videos people post they seam to be a lot smoother than what I get.
Thanks Again!

Atomic08, is it possible that you're trying to tilt too quickly? The tilt speed increases as you tilt the wheel further to either side.

msinger..Thank You ! .I worked on the solution you gave me and I finally got the wheel to work smoothly..the only problem I have is I think it works backwards, moving the wheel up moves the camera down and moving the wheel down moves the camera up..I can live with this for a while.

I had to use the rev mode for calibration, but at least it isn't jerky.. I'll play with it sometime later.

I also found this thread on how to adjust the wheel, Just thought I'd share:

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=3206

Thanks Again !

Atomic08, people say that non-software calibration method works as well. I always recommend the method in the YouTube video above though because it seems to be easier to do. Plus, you really cannot see the results of the calibration when the remote controller is not hooked up to the Phantom Assistant application.

Atomic08, it's not possible to modify the descent speed since it's hard-coded in the firmware.

You should be able to fix the tilt wheel speed issue by recalibrating your remote controller exactly like this:

Atomic08
Thank you so much for the recal vid it stopped my camera from not wanting to go back to level and jittering

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl