Caution - Batteries don't fully insert without force

I've noticed that my 3 extra batteries don't fully insert into the Phantom with a normal push when compared to my first battery, which has none of these issues. Reading all these threads with battery errors I wondered if it might be related...

As usual I push the batteries in with reasonable force and I hear it clicking into place, but I noticed that there's a 1mm gap. At first i just thought it hadn't been built to precision as I did hear and feel it click into place, but after giving it an extra push it did click further into place as seen in the video below.

View attachment 21914
View attachment 21915
There are so many threads on the same topic, but this is the first one I've seen with a demonstration video. Awesome. That made it very clear.

In other threads, people are just saying 1 click or 2 clicks. I was imagining a battery with physically only 1 or 2 lock tabs. I assumed a big design change that added a second lock tab in later manufacturing runs.

After seeing your video, I went back to check my batteries. The supplied battery is very similar to your video. If I go slowly, there is a clear one click and then a second click. My two extra batteries which arrived a month later both snap in place solidly with one click.

I studied them and see only very minor differences. No smoking gun with my old eyes. The two new batteries with the solid click both have what I think is a part number ending in CE2. They are the two on the right in the photo. The originally supplied battery which needs two clicks has a number ending in CD2. I wonder if this means that version CE2 is the updated version.

Or, it is as simple as the older battery is a little bit "worn in" due to it being my only battery for a while.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    397.3 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:
On the first few insertions of my extra battery I experienced the same. After locking it in and taking it out about 10 times in a row it acts the same as the original battery. Maybe it just needs to be grooved a few times to losen up.

As I said before, use some silicon grease and it slides home like it should.

I think the scenario is not real, nobody would put the smasrt battery in slow and without much force. The old P2 had much much harder to slide in batteries and they were of course much harder to remove compared to the P3. I still believe its impossible that the + - of the battery will loose contact in the air, thosea are two very thick and solid contacts.

The only problems are the thin data pins, and i had it very often with the first batch Phantom2 that i got 0.0V in my iOSD and the phantom wont start. After cleaning the pins with alcohol it was better. So if the data pins have no contact the P2 wont even start its motors and i would think the P3 is similar here, to bad mine is at the service center. The question here is what will happen when the data pins loose contact during a flight! Will it just land? will show 0,0V? will drop like a stone?

I think the scenario is not real, nobody would put the smasrt battery in slow and without much force.
I know what you mean, but to push in that last millimetre requires more force than it should, certainly when compared to the original battery which fully clips in with very little effort.

Flying mine tonight, I had that issue. I thought that the battery was seated properly in the aircraft, everything looked good so I took off. after about 2 min of flight time the status turned red and the display read "Battery Error". I immediately depressed the return home button and brought the aircraft back to me and landed safely. Upon closer inspection the battery had NOT properly seated all the way. Double check your battery prior to flight, I was sweating bullets while it was returning hoping that it didn't just power off and drop like a stone. Happy and safe flying!

Yep I noticed this today. Top part needs to be pushed in to click. Weird thing is even with mine not pushed in when I pull on the battery hard it doesn't come out.

Yes it does.

I have 3 batteries, one was a little sticky and 2 click location but with the silicon grease, the battery now slides in perfectly and easily with a positive click (and no gap)
GREASE IT!!!!!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl