Catastrophic take off

Reaction score
Hey pilots. Need help

So I pretty much baby my drone, don't fly it when it's windy, don't really use it much this is probably the 3rd or 4th flight as I go on a Canada day camping trip to the Rocky Mountains with no cell signal. Didn't update the drone before I left but did all the precautions and made sure I calibrated the compass and it was connected to 9 satellites. I go to take off and my left rear motor by the battery did not start with the others and BOOM. Flips over breaks the propellers and lands on the top scuffing the top of the drone.

Anyone know what could have went wrong? Do I really have a faulty motor this early into it?

Could updating the firmware help?

Any guidance would help as I am pretty stuck and unsure of what to do next.

Thank you all for your time.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

did you do the automatic take-off? also, do you have propellor guards and did you ever?
also just saying im not sure if you do but dont calibrate the compass every flight i would calibrate it every time you move 50 miles or more because if you calibrate it every flight there is a much higher chance of incorrectly doing it and is unnecessary in my opinion

did you hand-tighten the props? (assuming you posted correctly in the P3 section) I've had it happen to me once where I only spun them on and when I armed the motors one prop was noticeably loose. try arming the bird without any props on to see if they all spin

Edit: Additionally after reading the above first response, I think it's good practice to arm motors manually and then once spinning and you visually check the quad, go ahead with auto-takeoff.

I did tighten them, I armed the drone to take off with no propellers and still only 3 spin. Tonight I'm going to connect the drone as see if I'm missing any updates. I'll be contacting DJI tomorrow because I don't believe I did anything wrong.

I did tighten them, I armed the drone to take off with no propellers and still only 3 spin. Tonight I'm going to connect the drone as see if I'm missing any updates. I'll be contacting DJI tomorrow because I don't believe I did anything wrong.

Sure sounds like a faulty motor to me. Upload the flight data to HealthyDrones and share it here

Can't have anything to do with a firmware update. It's mechanical for sure, not software.

I am doubting the motor is what went bad here since most motors do not suddenly stop working, especially brushless, and you could probably have spotted signs of a failing in previous flights. I would be leaning more towards an ESC failure.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl