Catastrophic design flaw of Phantom 3

Hasbro or Mattell? Mattell for me 1970-1973
It was Mattel - I was one of four directors of product development in the early to late-ninties before and after we bought fisher price (from quaker oats of all people). I was working with several groups from Wham-O to Hot Wheels to Swimways to Fisher Price to you name it - anything non-Barbie and Ken. A really really fun time. Many roads have passed under my feet since then, but it was the best job I ever had. 'Twas I who pushed for FEA. (so much cheaper to "break things" in a computer than wait to find out a $100,000 mold yields a flawed design).

Last edited:
Good call that looks like it is on the edge of failure. I just ordered a set of strong arms as a just in case.

I think I have a newer shell design but I really doubt much was changed.
What, a newer shell design? WTH? Thats the first time i hear about such a thing.

For me those cracks must have something to do with the stronger motors and also higher temperature because my old P2 had much less cracks, it developed super thin spider web or hairline cracks, the P3 on the others seems like to brake apart or looser bigger chunks. Maybe a combination of motor braking and high temperatures. The motors are super hot compared to the P2.

It was Mattel - I was one of four directors of product development in the early to late-ninties before and after we bought fisher price (from quaker oats of all people). I was working with several groups from Wham-O to Hot Wheels to Swimways to Fisher Price to you name it - anything non-Barbie and Ken. A really really fun time. Many roads have passed under my feet since then, but it was the best job I ever had. 'Twas I who pushed for FEA. (so much cheaper to "break things" in a computer than wait to find out a $100,000 mold yields a flawed design).
I was at the now closed Mattel Standard Plastic Products plant in Plainfield, NJ in the early 70's. It was way too short a time to get vested in the pension plan but I made some good cake anyway. We were wheels and wings, games, and vinyl-stay-vinyl products, so basically all the doll cases plus two of the cash cows; the Barbie House and the Barbie Camper. We also had the world's largest volume screen printing presses. Crikey, I still remember product numbers after all these years! Examples; 1002 was the two doll case and 4961 was the camper. Wow. I used to go out to Hawthorne for occasional meetings and was a regular at the Toy Show in NYC every year. The stories I could tell, but won't. ;) The toy business, it wasn't all fun and games.
I started as a QC Engineer, got into product reliability and the early stages of statistical QC stolen from the Japanese who stole it from us. I gave a talk at Princeton one evening that ended up changing my entire career arc, and ended up in NH in a totally different field. Life.
So I know a bit about product development , and a lot about plastic molding and what can go wrong. I see what is happening with shell cracking as no more or less than has happened with many other products. Cars included.
DJI can be expected to deny and stall, to admit nothing, and be not the least bit pro-active in resolving the problem. Right now the public ships containers full of USD to China and DJI furiously tries to keep up with demand. It's by no means a mature industry and they are riding a wave. How many products can you name where price has been so strictly controlled? Let's see, Rolex, Ferrari...OK, help me out.
Here's the agenda from the last DJI Executive Meeting:
1. New product development
2. Product line enhancement
3. Production increases
4. Production increases
5. Production increases
6. What to do with billions of USD
Our cracking problem has probably been assigned to some green manufacturing engineer and is item 12 on his priority list. We think it's the biggest thing and they look at it as a hiccup. It's just the way it goes in the real world. .

Last edited:
I put some pics up in this thread: Crack on P3P | DJI Phantom Forum
Looks like some minor molding differences in the latest shells.
Okay, then! Looks like that will help a lot - Better late than never. It's ALL ABOUT ENERGY - how to reduce it, or dissipate it, or simply absorb it without harming anything.

In the case of us early birds - with the prior design - here is what I think we should do, aside from surgical implantation of JB Weld plastics epoxy [edit: or hot glue gun as shown by Mako79 below] :

Go ahead and get the strong arm backing plate, OR detachable style prop guards designed to engage at least TWO of the four motor mount screws (I happen have the BestemUSA brand and these seem good to me).
Snug two small cable ties OR one wrap of gorilla tape on the neck of each arm. Why!? It will help a wee tiny little bit to distribute vibration, I think.
Balance the props to be as smooth as possible (i.e., eliminate vibration at flying rpm's). Don't go crazy with it - just get the skinny balance rods with CW/CCW threaded ends (such as from CarolinaDronz; search for "rod" on their site) laid across the rim of a good drinking glass (your Mama's good crystal is perfect - Ha). Balance using a little Scotch tape on the underside of the prop will work okay if kept out of the rain. Check Youtube for easy 5-minute instructions.

Please excuse anything that looks like advertising - it's not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Matheson
Delivery when I got home. Getting ready to install. Thanks to UAVBITS for the fast service

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1441924243.928831.jpg

Its 50USD inc delivery for the strong arm bits. I haven't decided yet but I think I might save up for the revised shell. My bird has never been crashed and always hand caught.
I'm in Aus so warranty is pointless. And I think DJI warranty is also pointless.

I opened her up last night - the hidden clips are painful and you really need to be patient and work and rework around the bird.
I used hobby glue gun to prevent further cracks and hopefully it would prevent the motors from ripping out. This same fix was done on the P2 with success. Hopefully it would yield the same results on the P3A.

Fracture.jpg

Fracture%20fix.jpeg

Wipe off the excess glue near the screw holes.

Fracture%20Fix%20a.jpeg

Imo the vendor should take the warranty claim. If I have cracks in my shell I'll send it back to the vendor for repairs. Hope I don't need it though.

Its 50USD inc delivery for the strong arm bits. I haven't decided yet but I think I might save up for the revised shell. My bird has never been crashed and always hand caught.
I'm in Aus so warranty is pointless. And I think DJI warranty is also pointless.

I opened her up last night ...
That looks like a GREAT solution, worry-free down the road.

i have hairlines crack too in one of my motors, and stopped flying after reading this. I read that bondic work great for filling the cracks but it's hard to find one in my area , Would an Epoxy glue stop further cracking and fill the cracks.

i have hairlines crack too in one of my motors, and stopped flying after reading this. I read that bondic work great for filling the cracks but it's hard to find one in my area , Would an Epoxy glue stop further cracking and fill the cracks.
This is only my opinion from what I have found in various discussions: Epoxy - especially a type which is formulated for plastics - tends to have far better adhesive characteristics than Bondic. Bondic is really neat stuff and it fills and hardens very well, but appears to work as a wrap or a plug or a cover - a bandage, literally. Bondic is pretty amazing and It definitely has adhesive qualities and some great uses but even the Bondic company states that it is not a glue. Epoxies are used widely in the aerospace industry for very critical applications - so I will stick (pun) with that.

That said, there is the ever present possibility I am very mistaken about Bondic.

Last edited:
It's been well spoken about for months.
Most owners check thier p3 very often.
Don't hold ur breath that dji will hand out free replacements. Their record for customer service is non existant.
The best that will happen is a thicker shell on the next gen but i doubt that will happen.

This is absolutely infuriating! The frightening "stress crack" topic has been cover hundreds of times all across the web now. When a motor flies out of its hub things have come full circle. (I've reluctantly sent my bird in to DJI because of a random 400 ft spinning fall from the sky. Too much damage to easily fix especially for something that's still under warranty.) Regardless..... there really needs to be a serious competitor to arrive on the scene and raise the bar for DJI. I mean my event, many others and now this one is almost - I say this with all kindness - laughable. I've investigated others since I've had to send mine in for "assessment." When getting serviced through DJI I've found the average wait to get an issue resolved, fixed or replaced (for a product under warranty) is 70-83 days. ARE YOU FREAKIN' KIDDING ME?!

GoPro.... please.... show us the bird you've promised to release in 2016.

3DR Solo looks pretty good. Id love to buy one , but I already have 11 copter and a few with Pixhawks and they fly great. Hard to justify "just one more"!

3DR Solo looks pretty good. Id love to buy one , but I already have 11 copter and a few with Pixhawks and they fly great. Hard to justify "just one more"!
I just sent my 3DR Solo back this week. All the waiting for the gimbal and all the stories of gimbal problems was just to much. Now I see the cracking on the P3P.:( I guess ill go with a P3P and beef up the thing to try and avoid cracks. Sure beats a gen1 Solo that is not ready for market.

This look
I experienced a catastrophic failure to my P3P this morning. Essentially one of the motors of my bird sheared off in flight. I don't think most people realize exactly how the motors are attached (I know I didn't). All that repeated torque, thrust and force of these powerful motors is transferred to a thin layer of plastic less than 1mm thick (see the picture). Who designed this? Plastic will fatigue, crack and soften with heat (the motors can get very hot). Failure was inevitable.

There have been many posts here regarding cracks of the plastic around the motor mounts. When I read them, I inspected my P3 I assumed that since I did not have cracks when I checked two months ago, that I was safe. I wish I had checked before my flight this morning as I would bet I had cracks that had developed.

I would bet that ALL Phantom 3s will eventually have this problem. If you are flying where it is hot like me, I would bet you will have this problem sooner rather than later.

This is now standard issue for my future Phantom's:
Strong Arm reinforcement plate

Installed the strong arm kit the other day. Did a 5 minute flgiht mostly just hovering and it seemed even more stable. Just sitting in one spot, pretty amazing. I'm shooting a wedding today with it.

Reactions: 02oilburner
Installed the strong arm kit the other day. Did a 5 minute flgiht mostly just hovering and it seemed even more stable. Just sitting in one spot, pretty amazing. I'm shooting a wedding today with it.
Thats good to know! Good luck at the wedding!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart