Crack on P3P

Reaction score
My first crack on my P3P.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1441049412.943879.jpg

Very few flights, no crash, no hard landing.
Please, if anybody knows, did DJI correct this defect, or if they replace it for me they will just use the same problematic shell?

DJI support will replace it if you send in your Phantom. It'll probably take ~8 weeks to get it back though. You could also buy a shell and replace it yourself or install these reinforcement plates.

Last edited:
The reason for these cracks is the weak shell at the area of the back screws. The question is if DJI has made any corrections on the design and construction of their shells in order to prevent these cracks from happening.

It's a valid question, but I haven't seen DJI mention any design changes. You're going to get the same replacement shell whether they do the replacement or you do it, so there isn't much you can do on that front.

So, we will get back the repaired drone hopping that cracks will not develop again. Is that correct?

I'm not sure if that's correct -- but, it's the reality. Most people do not have cracks in their shells.

I considered having DJI replace my shell as I'm developing hairline cracks under the motors. But until they confirm they have made design changes and at least acknowledge that these things aren't something to worry about anymore in just going to go with some Bondic to fix and the Strongarm plates for added support. I love the phantom but the plastic they use and how they implement the support of the motors is crap.

I spoke with a "supervisor" at DJI LA this morning and was assured that the new shells are more robust and that crack repairs are implementing this new design. The same guy was unaware about any new motors (2312e) or anything else so who knows... I hope they've addressed it.

Yes they look different from the photo, next to the LED there is a flat circle which did not exist on the old shells. So hopefully they corrected the issues of cracking. There are some shells on sale on eBay but are those from the new design batch or who knows?

Does anybody know the latest version of the shell that DJI provides now?
The picture I posted is from an advanced I purchased this past weekend. They added flat outer rings to the screw holes. Strange part is that the are larger in diameter on one side of the quad. I have no idea if the area has really been reinforced but the mold has changed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think having dji confirm their mistake and confirm a design change is asking way, way to much. If you want them to fix it send it in, no questions, you won't get any answers anyway. If you want to fix it yourself go for it, blows your warranty up though.

The picture I posted is from an advanced I purchased this past weekend. They added flat outer rings to the screw holes. Strange part is that the are larger in diameter on one side of the quad. I have no idea if the area as really been reinforced but the mold has changed.

Pictures?

I think having dji confirm their mistake and confirm a design change is asking way, way to much. If you want them to fix it send it in, no questions, you won't get any answers anyway. If you want to fix it yourself go for it, blows your warranty up though.
Eh to each his own I guess, but the way I see it, the first step to correcting a known issue, is being aware that it's an issue. I'd hate to just send it in, wait 2 months then get it back with yet again an inferior shell. By at least getting someone to confirm that they're aware and have addressed it, regardless of its truth, gives me piece of mind.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl