Catastrophic design flaw of Phantom 3

no... i would keep buying and returning multiple p3 from various easy to return to sources if I were pissed enough at DJI's turn around time... they can deal with the multiple returned products. =)
Ah got it. Buy on an AMEX and you get 90 day return, no questions asked. I might do this now that you have turned my light bulb on...

Edit: AMEX is only pays out up to $300 for 90 day return. Won't work.

Return Protection can refund you for eligible purchase(s) charged entirely on an eligible American Express® Card. Coverage is limited to 90 days from purchase, up to $300 per item and up to a maximum of $1,000 per Card Member account per calendar year. Shipping and handling costs for the purchase will not be refunded. Items are eligible if they are in “like new” condition and if they cannot be returned to the merchant from which they were originally purchased.

You are screwing metal into metal. What are you talking about ? You put it on, give a few to setup, wipe off the tip and apply. I've had no problems.
Don't know about the P3 (I don't expect it to be different), but if you use loctite in the P1, it will soften the plastic, almost melts it.
Here is a whole page of google searches showing this:
Google

Reactions: Fplvert
Actually even UAV bits suggests staying away from loctite because you have to pass plastic to get to the metal.... it's a legit concern.

Since I was using this to put in a motor, I never gave a thought to putting it in until it was dried and setup on the screw. I personally think its ok when used properly, but whatever :)

Anyway, use whatever you want but WATCH FOR SCREWS BACKING OUT.

Reactions: Oso and Buckaye
Been reading forums for quite awhile, second post here . Had to post this here cuz no one commented on the other thread.

I recently got my phantom 3 pro 2 weeks ago. Having only installed dji prop guards and about 13 flights, I've noticed some slowly growing lines in a couple of the screw holes. I'm guessing these are the beginning of stress cracks? Should I throw a zip tie on the end to help relieve maybe some pressure? Can u still use prop guards with the reinforcement plates? I like the added protection.

I baby this thing and follow everything by the book. Let me know what I should do here to prevent what's been happening to others. Or is it too late?

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1441834686.508326.jpg

Been reading forums for quite awhile, second post here . Had to post this here cuz no one commented on the other thread.

I recently got my phantom 3 pro 2 weeks ago. Having only installed dji prop guards and about 13 flights, I've noticed some slowly growing lines in a couple of the screw holes. I'm guessing these are the beginning of stress cracks? Should I throw a zip tie on the end to help relieve maybe some pressure? Can u still use prop guards with the reinforcement plates? I like the added protection.

I baby this thing and follow everything by the book. Let me know what I should do here to prevent what's been happening to others. Or is it too late?

View attachment 30165

Not a prop guard fan... but you can contact the guy at UAV Bits and ask him if there is anyway to use the strong arms with prop guards... he might have a way....

Since I was using this to put in a motor, I never gave a thought to putting it in until it was dried and setup on the screw. I personally think its ok when used properly, but whatever :)

Anyway, use whatever you want but WATCH FOR SCREWS BACKING OUT.

No I agree... watching for screws backing out is important...

someone posted pictures of your motor failure on RC Group - The DJI support guys there are saying this failure is likely the result of a crash resulting in continued motor spinning generating enough hit to burn through the plastic rather than weak plastic failure such as those with small cracks. I think they would love to access your logs to find out one way or another.

Though, understandably, I would be hesitant to give up my quad for 6+ weeks. Though, if I'm sure it wasn't my fault (ie, no crash), I would definitely have them look at it and pay for the repair rather than spending $300+ and time/labor on something caused by their defect. In the meantime, I'd ordered another P3 to use and return it to them when they return my warranty p3.... again, that's what I would do if I was positive it wasn't my fault.

Do you have a link to that discussion? I'd love to get involved since it is my bird. I'd be happy to share my logs or anything else. There was no crash prior to the motor spinning out. The plastic failed... Period.

I have already ordered and received a P3A while my P3P is down for repairs. Basically the way I see it, I can be right or I can be happy. 6 weeks for a "maybe" or the hassle of being accused of some prior neglect or abuse only to be charged for a repair in the end is just too much. I enjoy tinkering and for $250 I can get my hands right into the guts of the bird and fix it myself in a much shorter time. Just imagine if Toyota had a warranty like DJI. It is just a bad way of doing business in the long run IMO, but who am I to tell DJI how to run things? They seem to be pretty successful doing things this way.

The Phantom 3 is an amazing piece of technology for the money and I have thoroughly enjoyed owning it for 3 months. I also appreciate that we are on the bleeding edge of this stuff and it isn't for those unwilling to take risks. I'm not mad at DJI as I realize I am not giving them a chance. But DJI's reputation has made my choice easy for me.

Do you have a link to that discussion? I'd love to get involved since it is my bird. I'd be happy to share my logs or anything else. There was no crash prior to the motor spinning out. The plastic failed... Period.

I have already ordered and received a P3A while my P3P is down for repairs. Basically the way I see it, I can be right or I can be happy. 6 weeks for a "maybe" or the hassle of being accused of some prior neglect or abuse only to be charged for a repair in the end is just too much. I enjoy tinkering and for $250 I can get my hands right into the guts of the bird and fix it myself in a much shorter time. Just imagine if Toyota had a warranty like DJI. It is just a bad way of doing business in the long run IMO, but who am I to tell DJI how to run things? They seem to be pretty successful doing things this way.

The Phantom 3 is an amazing piece of technology for the money and I have thoroughly enjoyed owning it for 3 months. I also appreciate that we are on the bleeding edge of this stuff and it isn't for those unwilling to take risks. I'm not mad at DJI as I realize I am not giving them a chance. But DJI's reputation has made my choice easy for me.

That forum is almost impossible to navigate:

Someone linked to your post here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=32645993&postcount=36778

Some dude responds: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=32646127&postcount=36782

Tahoe ED (DJI) reponse: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=32646309&postcount=36787

Blade Strike (DJI) response: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=32644378&postcount=36725

Here is a link to the group forum where your issue was discussed:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2384430&page=2459
about page 2456 I believe?

Please let them know what happened, and that this was not the aftermath of a crash.

Forgive me for not getting permission, but I was the one who posted your story anonymously on another thread at RC groups. It was met with disbelief and a link was demanded, I posted a link to this discussion. At that point I was asked if I could post the link to the Phantom 3 specific group, so I posted a link to this thread on that group's thread - I'm sure they'd appreciate hearing from you.

I think BS and Tahoe won't comment about the stress cracks on PP. They work for DJI and couldn't tell us the truth because of their NDA.

Sorry about your bird, Chris, it sounds like you got a good plan to get back in the air!

I want to post in that forum but I'm to lazy. My picture shows what appears to be the beginning of a stress crack. I barely let this thing touch the ground. Only to take off. Double hand land it every time. It's my baby lol, and what a beauty it is. Check it out, this is not a slight mold defect its 100% a stress crack, small it may be for now. Gonna install zip ties. Worth a shot.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1441838563.556950.jpg

Mine just went into decommission until my strong arm piece comes in. Not about to loose mine to a crash

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1441838643.424812.jpg
    ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1441838643.424812.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 523
Not that I wanted to but I sent my P3P in a week ago. I had cracks going from each motor mount to the next. I didn't lose a motor but completely stopped flying when I saw it. Literally showed up in a day. I have always checked for them and I flew for the last time at my father in laws place to show him. Immediately after taking off I noticed it was a bit "wobbly" and seemed louder. I brought it down and noticed when killing the motors that one seemed to stop spinning before the others. I brought it inside and bam, cracks around all four motor screws on that specific arm. I had flown it previously that day perfectly and no issues. I've had no crashes, no rough landings, nothing since day one. Logged close to 125 miles and had no issues whatsoever. I read about these cracks daily and felt like it was a fluke but it's real. I bought the UAVbits kits and contemplated just going that route, but with it being the motor mounts and all four, with cracks up to the separation point, and the fact I had never crashed or anything, I figured sending it to DJI to get fixed and to at least serve as another example of a genuine shell flaw and not a "user failure" would serve me the best in the long run. I'm not sure my giant caveman hands would do well trying to replace the shell. I know my limits. Haha.

Reactions: JoBe and GoodnNuff
Reading @bladestrike and @Tahoe Ed 's responses over there show me we lost nothing with their departure. Both have clearly become dji shills with no regard for anything but the company line. I don't usually say crap like that, but their responses are asinine, at best, with no interest in learning what actually happened. Blade showed some of that mentality here (asks for logs and evidence then clams up when someone offers or provides it), but I gave him the benefit of the doubt because I sometimes thought he was being baited. However, his responses to Chris over there just sent me over the edge. Either a poor rep for dji, or a symbol of dji. Either way piss poor.

Mine just went into decommission until my strong arm piece comes in. Not about to loose mine to a crash
Good call that looks like it is on the edge of failure. I just ordered a set of strong arms as a just in case.

I think I have a newer shell design but I really doubt much was changed.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj