Cast iron and magnetic field

Reaction score
Guys
I have been asked to provide detailed images of a cast iron tower which stands in isolation at a coastal location.
Should I be concerned about the magnetic effect on my P3P compass and if so, how would I determine a safe distance to approach?

Guys
I have been asked to provide detailed images of a cast iron tower which stands in isolation at a coastal location.
Should I be concerned about the magnetic effect on my P3P compass and if so, how would I determine a safe distance to approach?
If you have good clean take off ,I say no worries, I buzzed this crane and had no issue but wind and I got close
Screenshot_20181122-122552.jpg
Screenshot_20181122-123323.jpg
,,,,,as can see

[QUOTE="Hiwayman, post: 1406712, member: 102551"I have been asked to provide detailed images of a cast iron tower which stands in isolation at a coastal location.
Should I be concerned about the magnetic effect on my P3P compass and if so, how would I determine a safe distance to approach?[/QUOTE]
How detailed are the images you are wanting to get.
Do you need to get a metre away and show detail of individual rivets or sit back far enough away to see the while thing?
You should be able to get to maybe 10-12 feet without any issues.
But if there is any problem, you'll see it easily and the solution is to back off.
You could try on a steel roof to see what it's like.
Descend slowly toward the roof until you see the Phantom start to slowly wander or spiral, go up a few feet and it stops, come back down and it starts again.

You can get this close (and closer) to large iron or steel structures with no effect at all.
DJI_0754a-XL.jpg

From my experience, only when taking off, if there is interference when setting the RTH, then a possible fly away may occur, but if you took off without problems, then you will be fine.

Reactions: LARA images
I agree with Ian that if you take off cleanly with no magnetic interference you should be good flying at a distance from the object that would be ‘comfortably close’. In my experience, having had a magnetic interference issue, the copter switches to ATTI mode, and what a lot of folks call a fly away is just the wind. If you don’t expect this, it can be shocking, but if you’re prepared, and comfortable with ATTI mode - which every pilot should strive for - it’s no big deal.

Reactions: LARA images
I agree with Ian that if you take off cleanly with no magnetic interference you should be good flying at a distance from the object that would be ‘comfortably close’. In my experience, having had a magnetic interference issue, the copter switches to ATTI mode, and what a lot of folks call a fly away is just the wind. If you don’t expect this, it can be shocking, but if you’re prepared, and comfortable with ATTI mode - which every pilot should strive for - it’s no big deal.
That's right! I advise everyone to regularly practice ATTI mode. With that you know what to do when your 'bird' flies away.

Thanks all.
Useful information there...much appreciated.
It's good to know that I will get some warning and simply backing off should resolve it. Switching to atti is not a problem.
I do expect to try to get within about 3 m for detailed pictures of corrosion etc. May be limited by minimum focus distance on P3P camera.... whatever that is.

I frequently inspect my 110 foot ham radio tower with my P4 with no indication of problems. This tower is constantly powered with 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz signals. I fly right up to the front of my antennas and still no problems. I’d think a clean takeoff will let you know whether to expect a problem.

Good luck
Jim
WA5TEF

It is really interesting about the antenna which has even the same frequency as the drone has. I would expect the most interference just there, around the antenna.
I always try to avoid flying near those transmitting towers like a mobile net antennas or similar. My phone often makes an interference if I don't switch it into flight mode.

Interesting....but I don't get the 'view status' option as described in the video above. Not sure why, it just goes straight into the graph.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures