Can you beat this distance?

I live on the East Coast so unfortunately (especially lately) the weather hasn't been that great- although I got some decent post blizzard pics.
While you may criticize Canada for its insensible proposals, I'm the first to admit that the US seems to care more about registering drones than performing background checks on gun owners. Talk about nonsense! And we have a presidential candidate who is a certifiable nutjob and is leading in the Republican polls.
Now THAT is crazy, eh? ;)

Never looked at it that way and you're right as to the push for drone registration and lack of background checks when it comes to gun ownership - that's a head scratcher for sure. I must admit we don't have that issue up here and thankfully so.

LOL as to the "certified Republican nutjob" - can't imagine what it would be like if he makes it all the way! Then again we have a new PM that has zero experience with pretty much everything required to become a PM that most predicted would never win - yet there he sits with a majority government!

You have your 2nd amendment and the NRA defending that and gun owners - maybe get an NDA (national drone association) up and running and protect the rights of drone owners - eh!

Yup - feel for you guys and the amount of snow you got - pretty wicked in some spots. Best of luck with that and take care.

I'm counting the days before you post a story about losing it in the ocean/flyaway/ bird dropped like a stone etc etc. That battery will be nackered as well.
I live in the Arizona desert so when it falls out of the sky, I'll just go pick up the pieces. Not to much to hurt out here except for my pride.

View attachment 41268 I brought it back with 40% battery life. Furthest out I have flown - absolutely no transmission issues at all.
2da314c591cf3c7c04811f351a22cfc7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

ONLY in a VERY flat area with little to no interference. Which precludes where most people live.
Not necessarily the route I fly has quite a few hills I just happen to be standing on the highest one and there's houses from one end to the other off to the sides of course I think I'd still have a good signal at that distance. Just got to work on improving the battery situation

So what is the key to further flight because I blacked out at 3200 ft away and the RTH kicked in

So that just shows you that light bridge and a good antenna set you can get 10 miles easy one way with phantom 3
Apple & oranges my friend. What TX did you use for the Matrice?

So what is the key to further flight because I blacked out at 3200 ft away and the RTH kicked in

2 miles - good aiming & clear LOS
4 miles- good antennas, good aiming & clear LOS
6+ miles- boosters, a **** good understanding of wind/battery management, good antennas, good aiming& a clear LOS

It's not really a debate at all anymore. We all realize there are those who will simply not follow the rules, regulations and "recommendations". They will keep doing whatever they want to do. We just can't whine and cry when we get exactly what we deserve when the new "laws" come down the pipe this year. Carry on.

I'll follow ones that make sense. If they are stupid, and I probably won't get caught I won't. Out of view operation in the boonies or over the Ocean is not dangerous. Their definition of "in sight" being a spec you can see with your glasses or contacts, with the kind of telemetry and instrumentation we have available to us with the P3 is silliness. THE RISK OF DOING HARM TO OTHERS IS EVERYTHING.

Flying after sunset will be routinely ignored. I can't fly in the baseball field after dusk. It probably cost millions to discuss that rule. BTW, I can actually see my P3 at night and fly it non-POV MUCH easier -- the LEDs make orientation a piece of cake. Day? White on white gets tough at 200'!

But Snerd post has scary ramifications. I can picture distance limits being imposed by the manufacturers defining "how far can you see a spec with good vision".

ANYWAY I'VE GOTTEN JUST OVER 12,000' down the beach and slightly over the Ocean. Stock. I've seen range fall off at 3,500' if there is a lot of houses in an area. I'm figuring it's WiFi related.

I'll follow ones that make sense. If they are stupid, and I probably won't get caught I won't. Out of view operation in the boonies or over the Ocean is not dangerous. Their definition of "in sight" being a spec you can see with your glasses or contacts, with the kind of telemetry and instrumentation we have available to us with the P3 is silliness. THE RISK OF DOING HARM TO OTHERS IS EVERYTHING.

Flying after sunset will be routinely ignored. I can't fly in the baseball field after dusk. It probably cost millions to discuss that rule. BTW, I can actually see my P3 at night and fly it non-POV MUCH easier -- the LEDs make orientation a piece of cake. Day? White on white gets tough at 200'!

But Snerd post has scary ramifications. I can picture distance limits being imposed by the manufacturers defining "how far can you see a spec with good vision".

ANYWAY I'VE GOTTEN JUST OVER 12,000' down the beach and slightly over the Ocean. Stock. I've seen range fall off at 3,500' if there is a lot of houses in an area. I'm figuring it's WiFi related.
Whats even more interesting is that if you are an AMA member some of the guidelines the FAA registration outlines are not necessarily imposed on AMA members. Figure that one out. :)

Reactions: phantom1972
I've lost signal at 2385 feet. Why would that be? Lost control as well as video.
I've gone 12,000' in some areas and lost it at 2,500' in others and I think it's interference. Yeah, I think last time was RC before the video feed. In congested housing areas, when you think about the amount of Wi-fi, repeaters, cell tower, power transmission, the RF Noise has to be mind boggling. I think it's night and day compared to a flight out over the Ocean. The Ocean would also be completely legal, as long as you can make out a spec without binoculars. LOL

Got 8000 feet today on CE mode in UK flying in country side.
Still had full control and full HD signal when I turned round.
Got windsurfer mod but in my back garden with trees around I get 2200 if I'm lucky.
I think it would crack 10000 feet easy
Landed with 65% battery too and that was fighting a headwind all way back
Interesting information. I guess leaves and trees attenuate RF at these frequencies fast. I had mine transmit out of a closed elevator, inside a steel rebar reinforced concrete structure outside to my tablet. 50 yards but still... The people were stealing my bird, and the video and GPS took me right to them. LOL. No audio was a heart breaker at that particular time!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164