Can you beat this distance?

I was expecting some backlash from my post - however not as harsh as the above - I meant zero disrespect toward you "Davphys" and others with my previous post. We live in free countries and make decisions every day concerning our own lives and whatever it is we do or say for that matter. I do fully respect the laws and regulations with respect to flying these units but obviously I can't force anyone else to do the same with regard to that or anything else for that matter - if I can help as to education on safe flying I like to pass it on. I had no intention of forcing my opinions etc. on to anyone with it.

I also didn't post what I did to conjure up any "fear mongering" whatsoever but to merely point out what I had been told (hearsay or not). Just like you Davphys, with regard to TC, I can't sit here and profess to know the workings of the FAA other than what I am told and/or read about.

Calling me "gullible" with regard to my post, is your opinion and to some extent I may be when it comes to flying these along with some over compensating for rules and regulations etc. for my own safety and that of others - however I am not uneducated as to what's going on with our shared hobby and the "higher ups" who regulate it or make or even attempt to make changes by any means or source they can.

"Unsubstantiated lies"? I certainly can't speak as to under who's authority the FAA is limited and you may very well be correct with stating that Congress has that authority - I have no idea on that subject - period.

I do know however that the FAA inspectors have a protocol to follow when any UAV/UAS are depicted electronically (videos) and via the internet as to potential noncompliant actions. Briefly speaking here - That protocol starts with an "education outreach" to those depicted as doing so that includes educating (informational letter) as to compliance. If the operator remains noncompliant or is uncooperative the inspector can then step up to an enforcement and further investigation of same.

Up here in Canada there have even been reports of "personal injury" lawyers and insurance agents trolling YouTube etc. for evidence of the same. I am not a fan of this by any means as my opinion of lawyers and insurance companies........(well lets just say that's an entirely different subject). I do hope you get my drift here as to my message regarding posting these things. For the most part meant as helpful advice. I just don't think we need to be feeding any real or wannabe law makers with any reason at all (other than accidents or anything beyond our control) to further crack down on this hobby. Most importantly however, the need to fly responsible is on all of us - I'm sure you agree with that.

Bottom line on this subject Davphys - Since I have began the process of obtaining an SFOC (Special Flights Operations Certificate) here in Canada in order to fly any UAV's commercially that weigh over 2kg to include a training course for safe flying, operation of a UAV and RC certificate etc. I have been doing a lot of research, discussions and self educating with regard to safely flying these. When I read or see competition (intended or not competition) as to distance and altitude records - it scares me. I take the time to hopefully point out some things that others should be aware of and one of those things regarding the flight records and videos being posted on the internet is probably not the wisest thing to do.

I won't go into insulting or any name calling Davphys as that resolves nothing and truly you don't deserve that kind of response from me regardless of how you interpret me (not that you asked for a response). I don't mind one bit having someone bash my opinion on anything - however attacking ones character just isn't something I do.

There's an old saying I like - "don't confuse my personality or character with my attitude - my personality and character is who I am - my attitude - depends on who you are"! Since my attitude on this post is respectful toward you - it means, I see you as pissed off for certain, but likely a decent enough guy.

Having and respectfully voicing a difference of opinion is healthy and educational and I do respect that with everyone. I do also apologize since I obviously upset you with my previous post (which was not my intent). Take care and safe flying.

Edit: by the way its "eh" - not "ay" up here - lol.
I think this is a very well though out and valuable post. Thank you.

Apple & oranges my friend. What TX did you use for the Matrice?
I used the same exact antenna that I have on my p3
That pictures right outside downtown Tampa in an urban environment right outside the port
Its a clear line of sight not over anybody's house the first 2 miles is over water but it's not in the sticks

Apple & oranges my friend. What TX did you use for the Matrice?
FPVLR V2 Sunhans 3000mw boosters the only thing that stopped me from getting 10 miles out of my p3 as I wouldn't make it back and 33 minutes I could probably get nine miles and make it back been able to do so far is 8.6 miles 17.3 round trip.

FPVLR V2 Sunhans 3000mw boosters the only thing that stopped me from getting 10 miles out of my p3 as I wouldn't make it back and 33 minutes I could probably get nine miles and make it back been able to do so far is 8.6 miles 17.3 round trip.
So you had boosters? Well thats why. No one should call fake on a booster run. Anyone with boosters could do that, the trick is to do it stock except for the antenna on the TX. Everything else doesn't count unless you are comparing to other boosted runs. Show us a stock run at that distance and we'll shake your hand.

So you had boosters? Well thats why. No one should call fake on a booster run. Anyone with boosters could do that, the trick is to do it stock except for the antenna on the TX. Everything else doesn't count unless you are comparing to other boosted runs. Show us a stock run at that distance and we'll shake your hand.
Anybody with boosters can do that? Whatever dude I've done 8 miles without boosters under 400 feet.

The whole way back from my 4 mile out trip, all stock, my knees were wobbling and I almost shat my pants.

I am pretty sure I still have the flytrex distance challange record for the P3 8.6 miles 17.3 miles roundtrip is not easy to do anyone can not do it. All of the screenshots on FPVLR'S for the V2 on the website are mine there's a 6.2 mile screenshot without boosters right on there but I've gone further than that I made 8 miles out little under 400 feet without boosters signal wasn't great but I did it. If I was flying over water 8 miles would be no problem under 400 feet with good signal.

I am pretty sure I still have the flytrex distance challange record for the P3 8.6 miles 17.3 miles roundtrip is not easy to do anyone can not do it. All of the screenshots on FPVLR'S for the V2 on the website are mine there's a 6.2 mile screenshot without boosters right on there but I've gone further than that I made 8 miles out little under 400 feet without boosters signal wasn't great but I did it. If I was flying over water 8 miles would be no problem under 400 feet with good signal.
Maybe I misunderstood. Did you not say you did this with a Matrice (with longer flight times) and boosters? If so then none of that matters here on the Phantom forum.
My Corvette will kick the crap out of a Kia Soul but there really is no comparing them is there?

Image-1.jpg
Maybe I misunderstood. Did you not say you did this with a Matrice (with longer flight times) and boosters? If so then none of that matters here on the Phantom forum.
My Corvette will kick the crap out of a Kia Soul but there really is no comparing them is there?

So you obviously have battery mods to your P3. Impressive flight.
Looks like we will need several class limits for these friendly competitions.
  • all stock
  • antenna TX mod only
  • antenna mod TX & bird
  • antenna + booster mod
  • battery + booster + antennas.

Please reduce the size of the pics you post. ;)

Reactions: dirkclod
That's a 32 minute flight with a p3 8.6 miles out and back lot more to that than boosters bro. The 9.1 was from a Matrice 100 I mentioned that I was just trying to show the distance you can get with a v2. Since you want to make a big deal about it I won't do that again.

This thread was labeled can you beat this distance nothing in here about no boosters or battery mods. You saying anyone can do it pissed me off. I apologize. There is a guy named Fanti on this fourm did 44,000 ft. with a windsurfer. It's not hard getting out there getting back is the trick.

Reactions: dirtybum
We dont need several class selections for this friendly competiition TJ! The game is go! As far as you can with what you can scrap together. And your wrong, so wrong that anyone with booster can do it! I got peers right beside me for whom i've built them the same set ups as me and not everone can do it.

The problem is people cheat. How is one to know if a flight had boosters or stock or somewhere in between? We would have to have an honor system. That might work if we were brothers or something, but we're not.

Modding the aircraft adds another dimension to a distance run because of all the tinkering, fine-tuning, and tweaking one must do to maximize distance while at the same time measuring and accepting the risk of losing your aircraft altogether.

That's why I like the flytrex site. It's just a straight-forward record. It is very difficult to cheat - especially when a flight includes an accompanying video with appropriate details.

Flytrex - Quadcopter and Multirotor Pilots Network

Reactions: dirtybum
Tried another range test today.got 11500 feet...2.2 miles at 300 feet altitude. Still had full signals when I turned around.
CE mode in uk with just a windsurfer mod.
Little drone amazes me more and more every day.
Hit almost 52 mph on outward trip but hit a serious 30mph headwind coming back.
Landed with 30% battery

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94