Can I remove lightbridge from my Phantom?

Reaction score
Hello friends,

Is it possible to remove lightbridge from my Phantom?
I would like to use it on an rc airplane for a bit.
Also, it there a competitor to lightbridge?

Thanks.

I doubt that the lightbridge circuits are contained in a single 'black box' that you could just pull off and reuse. And the interface and command and control programming is, undoubtedly, deeply imbedded in the firmware.

Hello friends,

Is it possible to remove lightbridge from my Phantom?
I would like to use it on an rc airplane for a bit.
Also, it there a competitor to lightbridge?
DJI does make and sell a 'stand-alone' lightbridge unit, but it's not cheap

Buy Video Downlink | DJI Store

How this would integrate into a non-DJI bird, I don't know as I've not looked that closely at it.

Google "wifibroadcast" AND FPV. Wifibroadcast is part of the wifi standards. Lightbridge is almost certainly nothing more than a slick implementation of the wifibroadcast protocol. Running a raspberry Pi in the AC with a wifi dongle that supports promiscuous mode and some open source code on an SD card will get you there and you can leave the phantom intact.

Start here Wifibroadcast – Analog-like transmission of live video data

Reactions: Itay
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
I haven't done it but I have seen it working, the person who did it has basic IT skills and managed to get away with installing a basic software image freely available. I will try and ask for more detail of what was involved. The FPV quality was very good, similar range as lightbridge with claimed lower latency. Less then $200 investment also. Had it mounted on a 600 size flybarless RC heli.

I'm kinda disappointed at how slow the UAV hobby is progressing --- I would have thought by now "build-your-own" UAVs would be commonplace and slapping on a Lightbridge to get 1080p FPV would be rather simple, although maybe not the cheapest option.

If Lightbridge is based on some "Wifibroadcast protocol" --- then why arent we seeing it more widespread on different brands of drones?

I suppose the government regs are holding back what could be a very rapidly growing industry --- but that's what govt. is good at --- stifling innovation and capitalism :(

... then why arent we seeing it more widespread on different brands of drones?

I suppose the government regs are holding back what could be a very rapidly growing industry --- but that's what govt. is good at --- stifling innovation and capitalism :(

You are right. Other than Connex, I don't know of any real competitor to Dji's LightBriedge, ant it's way too expensive.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18