Can I keep flying without updating firmware?

Reaction score
I am not sure where to post this so please excuse me if I am in the wrong place or if this question/issue has been amply covered. I have a P4 that I use exclusively for aerial shots of homes I have listed for sale (I'm a Realtor). Drone is properly FAA commercially registered. Question relates to firmware update. After reading all of the issues people have had, and being new at it all, I am not willing to risk trying to update and running into problems. I don't use the fancier features or do long range missions. I just shoot houses from a safe altitude on wind free days. Do I really need to update? For example I think I read that the update will further restrict or disallow flying near airports. Where I live there is almost a complete blanket of small airports up and down the coast, where most of my clients homes are. So if new DJI firmware precludes me from flying there at all, I'd be sunk. Now it warns me and allows me to accept the warning and go about my business. Any thoughts?

This issue has been beaten to death like a horse. As far as I understand, you DO NOT have to update the AC or RC firmware. The only thing that is required is that you log in to app one time while connected to the internet. You do not need the AC connected to do this. That will eliminate any flight restrictions. However, in your case possibly it could enhance the NFZ area's. That is all they are doing, is trying to keep the NFZ data base current.

If you are happy with the flying, you need not update FW/ SW. Keep flying.

DO NOT...I repeat DO NOT update if you want to continue to be able to fly. I did and it ruined the P4P for me. Couldn't fly the whole time I was on vacation in Florida because of stupid NFZ bug even though I was in green zones.

Make SURE you turn off auto updates for Go 4 app if you still have that option because mine did automatically and I now can't turn GEO feature off.

A
If you are happy with the flying, you need not update FW/ SW. Keep flying.
Alok - Glad to see you are online - I would like to ask you a question: I have a Maxx evo kit with sunhans and I only get 750ft distance. but when I disconnect the sunans I get 1000+ feet - any ideas whats going on?

A

Alok - Glad to see you are online - I would like to ask you a question: I have a Maxx evo kit with sunhans and I only get 750ft distance. but when I disconnect the sunans I get 1000+ feet - any ideas whats going on?
I have been too busy flying to PA and back to SF every week. Its too tiring but work demands it. I have DJI Goggles sitting unopened in my home waiting for me to say hi. :)

Not really sure of your problem but it looks like poor connection or impedance mismatch issue.

I have been too busy flying to PA and back to SF every week. Its too tiring but work demands it. I have DJI Goggles sitting unopened in my home waiting for me to say hi. :)

Not really sure of your problem but it looks like poor connection or impedance mismatch issue.
Oh I forgot to tell you that when I switch on the battery that powers the sunhans the light on the sunhans go out?

I live on Aquidneck Island, RI, with an airport in the middle. When I bought my Phantom 4+ I was able to fly from my property, with the updates I've found that flying is impossible now as I am on the very edge of the NFZ. And that 'edge' seems to cover lots more than it shows. Can't fly from home now.
On the one hand, being leagal is a must.
BUT...IGNORANCE IS BLISS!
We make our own bed...and own the consequences.

Oh I forgot to tell you that when I switch on the battery that powers the sunhans the light on the sunhans go out?

Look at my private message.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl