I have a 1510 laying around and decided the P4 wouldn't fit at first glance. I'll have to revisit this and order a second pick and pluck insert. Does it seem to put force on the motors when closed?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The 1520 fit is tight, I used a .25 foam layer at lid which barley puts an imprint on foam when closed. I did however buy ridged covers off Amazon as I was concerned about the intricate plastic parts at blade mount on top of motors. The caps did not raise the height and it works perfect. I measured several times and I have proper clearance. I did cut the bottom foam which is very thin to allow the gimble support bracket to sit against the case plastic to allow just slightly more space. Just to ensure that no deflection could occur I loaded 250 on case and it did not flex so I am very confident that my Pelican will continue to serve my purpose without damaging my P4.

The 1520 fit is tight, I used a .25 foam layer at lid which barley puts an imprint on foam when closed. I did however buy ridged covers off Amazon as I was concerned about the intricate plastic parts at blade mount on top of motors. The caps did not raise the height and it works perfect. I measured several times and I have proper clearance. I did cut the bottom foam which is very thin to allow the gimble support bracket to sit against the case plastic to allow just slightly more space. Just to ensure that no deflection could occur I loaded 250 on case and it did not flex so I am very confident that my Pelican will continue to serve my purpose without damaging my P4.
Sorry 1510 not 1520

I never deplete batteries. In fact, I make sure they're fully charged so I know I'm ready to fly once I land at my destination. No time to wait around charging 5-6 batteries when you're traveling or on vacay.

I have never had a problem on more than 20 flights, including Delta, AA and JetBlue, including checked and carryon.

You're not supposed to check them, and I'm surprised they let them through. I note someone else said they fly with them fully-charged which (I believe this is correct), greatly increases the odds for them to create a problem.

If a drone-user ever brings down a commercial flight, I suspect it won't be from the outside. :(

The 1510 fits 4 batteries plus the ITELITE boosted setup, Polar Pro filters, and tablet. Probably could fit two more batteries if needed as well.

uploadfromtaptalk1466956996121.jpg

You're not supposed to check them, and I'm surprised they let them through. I note someone else said they fly with them fully-charged which (I believe this is correct), greatly increases the odds for them to create a problem.

If a drone-user ever brings down a commercial flight, I suspect it won't be from the outside. :(

Its pretty clear in ALL the airlines documentation they are NOT permitted in checked luggage. :/

Stuff slips through though.

Flying with them fully charged isnt recommended either, but I guess there is always someone wiling to take the chance... :/ 99.9999% of the time it will all work out... That .0001% though at 38,000ft with a fire on board... :/ Im very good friends with someon that was onboard the JB flight to Nassau that had a battery fire... She regularly says it was the scariest thing she has ever experienced. Over water, on fire, and at 33,000 feet.

LiPos are under pressure when they are charged. The decrease in pressure inside an aircraft cabin causes them to swell even more. Hence why your water battle hisses when you open it for the first time at cruise altitude, and then crushes as you descend.

Is it worth it?

I plug a battery in as soon as I get to the rental car and by the time Ive organsed all my stuff and exited the battery only needs another 20 minutes. I can charge two at once also. Worth it to know Im not gunna be "that guy" on a plane.

The 1510 fits 4 batteries plus the ITELITE boosted setup, Polar Pro filters, and tablet. Probably could fit two more batteries if needed as well.

View attachment 58233

Interesting. I have a 1510, Im going to have to have a nother look at it. I didnt think it was tall enough for the P4 :)

Reactions: DCDrone
People who are considering flying, or God forbid, luggage-checking their lipos should search "lipo fire" on YouTube so they can see what they're risking.

Here's security footage of a Phantom battering bursting into flame on shop's counter:

I suspect they want them in carry-on so there is at least some potential for averting disaster.

You can imagine the public reaction the first time a drone lipo causes problems on an airliner.

Reactions: WRXJIM
People who are considering flying, or God forbid, luggage-checking their lipos should search "lipo fire" on YouTube so they can see what they're risking.

Here's security footage of a Phantom battering bursting into flame on shop's counter:

I suspect they want them in carry-on so there is at least some potential for averting disaster.

You can imagine the public reaction the first time a drone lipo causes problems on an airliner.

Lipo and Li Ion fires have already caused multiple problems on aircraft... Hence why US passenger Airlines are forbidden to carry Li** batteries as "cargo"

The fire can be actively "attacked" in the main cabin, rather than just have essentially sprinklers go off in the hold.

They burn hot and violently. Directly blasting it with multiple Halons still may not be enough, but its much better than hoping a halon shower in the hold as the burning battery, that may be buried under multiple bags start to generate intense heat and suffocating fumes that will soon fill the cabin...

Thanks to those that do fly with discharged/transport/storage charged batteries in their carry on...

Lithium battery fire sparks Mayday | Flight Safety Australia

Reactions: DCDrone

Thanks. I'd heard of Lipo fires on aircraft, but didn't realize any had been tied directly to the RC hobby. I note this happened a couple of years ago. I suspect it would receive much more attention today.

Though he, and everyone else, was lucky enough this happened on the ground, can you imagine if the airline sued him for the costs?

If it happened in the US, you might find yourself taking the bus after TSA banned you for life.

Even if the incident had happened in an overhead bin, it would have been ugly.

Very serious stuff guys. Don't take it lightly.

There was a more recent one involving an Inspire. I cant seem to find the link to it anywhere. There have been multiple stories written in the Airline Safety journal and a few have been about model "aircraft"

I totally agree with you. any publicity is bad publicity at the moment. Even if it is good, it will somehow be twisted to be bad in the eyes of the public :/

"Drones" ( I still wish we wouldnt use that word) are public enemy number one... :/

Not sure where you got your info but this was not a DJI Phantom battery.

Also, this battery was overcharged and damaged and swollen.

Not sure where you got your info but this was not a DJI Phantom battery.

Also, this battery was overcharged and damaged and swollen.

My information comes from the intro to the video, which appears to have been written by the shop where this occurred.

Not that it matters much.

Nothing magic about a DJI battery in this regard (hence the Inspire fire), and few of us know with certainty the exact state of health of our batteries.

The odds of a problem are low, but the costs if failure are quite high.

Hey Guys.
I am going to fly with my drone and AA tomorrow to Europe. I am thinking to check it inside my checked luggage.
I am using a hard shell backpack from DJI which is not sized for carry on bag so i will checked it inside my big luggage.
My question is, do i have to declare the drone so if anyone opens the suitcase and steal it ? Have you ever been robbed from an Airline ? My sister 3 yrs ago lost some clothes (expensive) from her checked in luggage. But as far as she hasnt declare the clothes she didnt have evidence to charge the airline.
Should i declare it ? I am afraid of extra charge taxes back in Europe when they will see that i bring with me 1000$ drone
I bought it from US..

sorry for my English and thanks in advance for your replies !!

Steve, Greece !!

Hi CrazyCowGR . . . yes should be no problem . . Took mine on American and Alaskan last spring to Hawaii . . not sure its really any different in EU . . it will fit in Carry on . . I put mine inside an approved carry( put the whole foam box in a carry on Samsonite kevlar bag and never let it out of my sight except in the overhead. Be sure to reduce your batteries to 30% or so and cover the ends with tape to avoid shorts . . Batteries cannot be in Checked luggage . . . check out Drones-to- go blog for drones here Drones To Go Blog for some more suggestions

I travel often and here is the best way to travel a P4 and/or P3.

1. Do not check your UAV as checked in luggage. They will throw it and break it and there is issues of batteries to discuss in a few lines down. I use a Pelican 1510 hard case and bring as carry on as it is the only truly FFA IATA Airline approved hard case. You can do a backpack too but I prefer hard cases.

2. Find the Safety Data sheet for your batteries for your model and print it out. It will prove to authorities if questioned that it meets the requirements per IATA / DOT. Deplete your batteries as much as possible and tape connection holes to ensure derbies do not cause short and if possible carry a Lithosafe bag to place your batteries in if airport authorities start getting huffy:
Liposafe bags are just an added protection in the event of a short circuit and fire.

3. Do not carry onboard your props! They should be wrapped and placed in a hard case within your check in luggage. The props can be considered a weapon by authority having jurisdiction.

With all that you will be good to go. I also suggest rigid motor caps for travel or when in hard case to offer even more protection to blade mount assembly. Also always check with countries you are visiting as they all have constant changing laws and in most cases it's best to have a permit for recreational / comercial use prior to going otherwise it may be confiscated after you arrive.

Hope that helps

Attachments

• IMG_8427.JPG
    IMG_8427.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 323
Last edited:
2. Find the Safety Data sheet for your batteries for your model and print it out. It will prove to authorities if questioned that it meets the requirements per IATA / DOT. Deplete your batteries as much as possible and tape connection holes to ensure derbies do not cause short and if possible carry a Lithosafe bag to place your batteries in if airport authorities start getting huffy:
Liposafe bags are just an added protection in the event of a short circuit and fire.
DJI batteries have their capacity in Watt Hours printed on the side of the battery - no need to print anything to show it.
No airline or airport security check-in is interested in the charge level of your batteries or if you have Lipo bags
3. Do not carry onboard your props! They should be wrapped and placed in a hard case within your check in luggage. The props can be considered a weapon by authority having jurisdiction.s
I very much doubt that anyone would consider a DJI Phantom prop to be a weapon.
They haven't attracted the attention of any airport security people I've checked in with.
They are looking for real threats like nail clippers etc.
Despite the number of people flying with Phantoms, I've never heard any reports of problems with props.

Reactions: go fast
I gathered the links to airline policies regarding LiPO batteries here to make it easier to check exactly what the airline policy is for yourself. Click the logos to go to the airline policy! I would appreciate feedback (Especially if a link is broken or I need to add another airline!)

Fly safe

Airline Rules For Drone Batteries

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl