Can CSC Cause Tip-Over?

Reaction score
My AC was on the ground and I tried to use CSC to shut the motors off and it tipped over. I was nearby and able to right it and turn it off using the throttle down method. There was a split second of squealing before I got it upright again. Have flown it since and all seems fine but was just wondering what happened. I see people online saying to use the CSC especially in an emergency but I'm scared to even attempt it again. Anyone else had this happen before?

Yes, CSC can cause a tip over. Always hold the left stick (the throttle) down until the motors shut off.

Reactions: JustinR
Thanks for the quick responses!

So is a split second of squealing from the motors usually ok? I cringed when I heard it.

So is a split second of squealing from the motors usually ok? I cringed when I heard it.
It was probably them working to hard when the props hit the ground. Most likely there fine.

that is sickening sound isn't it?

should be good though if only a moment or 2!

as noted shut off motors with left stick only
straight down for 3 seconds and it will be all good.

when using CSC its possible for a slight mis read of stick motion
to cause a motor to spin up a little bit to try to "adjust"
end result is phantom on its side!

good luck and have fun flying!

as soon as you move the right stick (mode 2) the motors will speed up in order to try to move right or left which ever way you move it. I would never use CSC to stop the props when the P3 is on the ground, just left stick down....

An actual CSC should not cause a tip over, however, an incorrect CSC very well can. That is, when it's not done perfectly, you are probably moving the sticks in such a way as to cause the drone to tip over.

The only valid reason that I can see to use CSC when the P3 is on the ground (props running) is if someone is about to walk into it and you should have seen that coming and shut down using left stick.

I had a 3 year old do that to me but I was watching him like a hawk and shut down

My AC was on the ground and I tried to use CSC to shut the motors off and it tipped over. I was nearby and able to right it and turn it off using the throttle down method. There was a split second of squealing before I got it upright again. Have flown it since and all seems fine but was just wondering what happened. I see people online saying to use the CSC especially in an emergency but I'm scared to even attempt it again. Anyone else had this happen before?
Welcome sir!

As you read the forum more, you'll see that we've recommended hundreds of times to never use CSC to routinely stop motors once landed because it is known to cause tip overs. You are by no means alone!

If you are interested, click here for other tips that I often share. The "no CSC once landed" is one of the bullet points.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Thank you very much for all the help and advice! I thought I had read to always use it...maybe on another forum but after what happened I don't think I'll ever try it again lol. Left stick down is easier and works good.

And yes, it was one of the most sickening sounds I've heard in years!

Being brand new to the controller, I'm guessing I didn't do it just right and that was the actual cause of the tip over.

Not sure that CSC has to be done perfectly to avoid a tip over. From my understanding, when CSC is performed for the purpose of emergency shut down (the need to shut down in the air to avoid catastrophe) there is a 2 or 3 second delay. During the delay, I do believe that the Phantom will respond to the stick positions.

I total agreement with the others here, that the CSC is not the method to shut down the motors after a landing.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Not sure that CSC has to be done perfectly to avoid a tip over.

As far as CSC goes and being carried out "perfectly" - if the action of pulling down and in with the sticks is not 100% synchronized the Phantom will do exactly what it is designed to do! If you have landed on a level surface or not and the CSC is employed there is a very good chance the Phantom will react to the first stick "down and in command" - resulting in an "off angular" situation and she will then intentionally react to correct it via the IMU............

Have flown it since and all seems fine but was just wondering what happened

The Phantom will immediately detect the angle she is on (not level), CSC not carried out at exactly the same time (both sticks) and will react to correcting itself back to a level position via the IMU (Inertia Measurement Unit). Opposite motors will rev up and slow down in order to "level" out the Phantom - when on the ground this action very often will cause the "tip" over - which in fact is the IMU doing what it is supposed to do when it detects problems with the angular velocity and linear acceleration. Happens pretty fast with the IMU sending data to the main processor which carries out the correction via increasing and/or decreasing opposite prop speeds.

I experienced more than one "tip over" a year or so ago and rather than just accept these things happen - I wanted to know more of the "why this happens" - hence some research on it and finally understanding it. If you have ever tried to hand catch the Phantom you will notice right away the intentional action of the IMU by seeing, feeling and hearing the revs of the motors and props as she tries to level herself out and you will detect just how quickly she reacts to this situation. I have played around with mine by hand catching and holding/tipping it on purpose just to see/feel this reaction generated via the IMU and processor - - it is amazing, really.

She is a pretty amazing bird with all these components aboard, and having a brain like she does to do all that is required to safely take off, fly, maneuver and land. For the most part "tip" overs and a lot of other issues that result in damage are "operator error" Vs faulty equipment. and realizing the IMU is more than just something that needs calibration to correct a "tilted" horizon on a photo or video!

Knowing the "do's and dont's" with Phantoms is important to say the least - understanding "why and how" gives a much clearer appreciation of the technology and hopefully help with avoiding issues.

There was a split second of squealing before I got it upright again.

That is an ugly sound and smell isn't it! I experienced that as explained in my previous post. To my understanding the "squeal" is from the ESC's (electronic speed controller) and that "smoke and burning smell" is definitely the varnish on the motor stator windings that acts as insulation for same.

If you're windings are still showing a "bright clear copper color" and it turns freely by hand as compared to others then you should be fine as to the motor condition. If there is a noticeable discoloration at the motor(s) of concern (windings) or any slight feel of obstruction/restriction when hand rotated - change the motor(s) just be sure you get the correct motor to match the rotation of the one being replaced.

My event (tip over) was not like yours as to "time" (split second) - my was a couple of seconds before I got to it to pull the battery since nothing else stopped motors. I had one motor where the winding insulation varnish was black and the motor support on the end of the arm was even partially melted - hence a new motor. I did manage to re-coat the windings with non-conductive insulating paint and replaced the bearing - it tests out fine, but when I consider this is for flying - not worth the risk. If you even question the stability of that motor - change it, wisest thing to do, keep an eye (finger) on temps after flying Vs the others.

The ESC has no transducers to create sound.The squeal is actually coming from the motors acting like a speaker (same as start-up).

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
The ESC has no transducers to create sound.The squeal is actually coming from the motors acting like a speaker (same as start-up).

I stand corrected - what I should have said it is from the motor but is induced via the ESC!

You are correct the motor with wires n magnets is no different than the make up of a speaker - the ESC generates pulses (waveforms) that the motor plays out like a "squeal" - no motor, no squeal!

Thanks for pointing that out.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl