Camera Lens Filters?

Reaction score
New to drones, the Mavic will be my first. Recommended filter brands and where to buy?

Last edited:
No filters are available yet.

Lens is not interchangeable. No filters released as of now, however the drone isnt even in customer hands yet. There is speculation there will be filters available, so I am personally keeping a watch out for them. An ND will definitely be helpful, even if just a 16.

Close up of the lens I have seen looks like the filter will be a small snap-on type. Based on some grooves on the lenses.

DJI will be releasing filters sometime soon. I'm sure Polar Pro will be too. You'll no doubt see others pop up on Amazon as they are released.

What do the filters do, make the pic or vid. More vibrant?

Someone can probably provide a more technical/thorough answer, but in laymans terms it cuts strong light (i.e. sunlight) to normalize exposure between sky and ground.

This video might be helpful:

The lens is fixed. Meaning it can't be opened or closed to control light. In very basic terms the filters are sunglasses for the lens.

Reactions: Faithful-Niner
The lens is fixed. Meaning it can't be opened or closed to control light. In very basic terms the filters are sunglasses for the lens.

This is not true, you can adjust shutter speed and ISO to help cut light. A fixed lens has more to do with the Focus than the shutter. Especially since the shutter speed is controllable from being fully automatic to full manual modes.

Strictly speaking that doesn't change the light hitting the sensor, it changes the amount of time you let that light build charge on the sensor before you read it off. Shorter shutter intervals are often seen as less desirable for a few reasons including motion blur reduction (faster motion gets stuttery) and noise. ISO more directly effects noise...so either compensation has tradeoffs.

Without a variable aperture, the only way you have to control light in front of the sensor is filtering.

Personally I'm just hoping that tiny little glass element on the Mav camera is relatively easy to swap

With what?

uh...filters. By glass element I meant the standard (presumably light UV) filter/protector glass, which is what you'll replace with ND or whatever else comes out. The phantoms' filters screwed on with thread locker which was fine (if a little fiddly)...basically I'm hoping it's at least no more difficult than that, given the smaller diameter of the Mav cam.

Come to think of it, that size will put a little extra pressure on the filter glass to be ultra flat and flawless

uh...filters. By glass element I meant the standard (presumably light UV) filter/protector glass, which is what you'll replace with ND or whatever else comes out. The phantoms' filters screwed on with thread locker which was fine (if a little fiddly)...basically I'm hoping it's at least no more difficult than that, given the smaller diameter of the Mav cam.
DJI will be selling filters for the Mavic, so there's clearly some solution built-in there. Unfortunately I can't say for sure where the glass comes off, as nobody with units have tried it yet.

Yeah, I don't get the impression any of the pre-release people have tried taking it off yet, hence my hoping

Yeah, I don't get the impression any of the pre-release people have tried taking it off yet, hence my hoping
Well just to reiterate, DJI employees have confirmed that they will sell their own filters for the Mavic, so I don't think you have to hope too much. :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl