Buying P3P in Australia or from China?

Reaction score
I've decided to buy a P3P but I'm wondering what the buying experience has been for others in Australia? Local price is around A$2200 which is about US$1570. Seems like price gouging to me. Tempted to buy one from Banggood who I've dealt with for my Syma and JJRC drones and parts, but their packaging is woeful and delivery often slow. Worried if I have to return it for repairs too. Their price is about US$1250 and free shipping.

What have others in Australia done? What's been your experience?

Much of what you've called price gouging is the local GST and since the item + shipping is well over the A$1000 threshold, you could have to pay that anyway on top of the Banggood price.
DJI keep their retailers pretty much in line and $2199 is what DJI themselves charge through their store.
Return for repairs may be an issue for warranty cases but there are independent repairers as well.

I've bought one on eBay from China and my second one from local retailer in Aus.

First one from China crashed and it was a potential fly away/loss of control case that had I have purchased locally, I would have followed it through with the retailer and tried as hard as I could for a warranty replacement. But, given it was through a Chinese eBay seller, it really wasn't worth the hassle of a) trying to get the seller to give enough of a **** to take on the warranty process and b) waiting the potentially 3-4-5 months for the whole process to be carried out. Risking being out of pocket on shipping etc.

Got quoted locally for a replacement drone body only + camera and gimbal replacement which came to about $2200. It was $2199 for a whole new rig which also included a new remote, battery and charger. No brainer.

Now if something goes wrong, even something little, I take it back to local supplier and they deal with it. It was $1899 from China and $2199 locally. For $300 it's worth it to buy locally.

Imagine having a slight little problem with your drone rendering it unable to fly. Buying from china, its goinng to be a massive ordeal and extremely time consuming to get rectified. Purchase locally and you have Australian Consumer law on your side. All you need to do it drop it back where you bought it and wait a week or two.

$2000+ is a pretty big investment to have a warranty that may or may not be worth **** depending on the eBay sellers mood/integrity.

As a side note, I hit 3.8km range with the Aus model. 3.2 with the Chinese model. And now I have 2 remotes, one of which is being fitted with the DBSMod antenna. :)

Expensive hobby this one hey ScottyC?

I am currently also looking to purchase a P3A and will definitely buy a local stock. Looking at the drone + extra battery + hard shell backpack, the cheapest I can find is $1,995. Cheapest bundle but with a P3P instead is $2,399. A $200 saving from DJI's rrp.

It is when you crash em! Lol.

Both those prices are pretty good. Especially the pro if that includes an extra battery and a hardshell bag.

I was going to get the advanced but 4k recording is simply amazing. I knew if I bought the advanced, I'd regret not spending the few extra clams. But that's just me. I've got 4k monitors and tv's so I can really appreciate the difference.

Either or though, you're in for a lot of fun!

On balance I decided to buy locally but managed to get my P3P from an authorised local dealer for under $2200 with a spare battery on eBay. Pays to shop around I think. And yes it is a big investment. I'll surely cry if I crash it.

I just put in an order in with Dragon Image (an authorised DJI dealer) for a P3A, extra battery and a third-party hardshell backpack for $1930. I am sure there will be more expenses to come - 3rd battery, aluminium device holder, ND filter, gimbal protector, etc $$$. Meh, you only live once, might as well try to capture some beautiful sceneries before you die :)

Edit: Oops, I forgot to add the mandatory Phantom Pilots T-shirt :p

Edit 2: Scratch the T-shirt. Shipping cost to Australia is a killer :(

Last edited:
You forgot the range extender...

May be for a P3S, but it seems most people with P3A and P3P are happy flying stock without range extender.

Ordered a Trackimo yesterday. Currently has discount code "Save50" which brings the price from $199 down to $149.

What's that?

Of course I could Google it, just lazy.

Interesting. What's the extra weight like?

I guess you have already googled it. A GPS tracker attached to your drone in case it dropped down a fair distance away from you and you have to search for it. Hopefully you can track it's signal to it's vicinity. Many threads to discuss it in this forum e.g. GPS Trackers? | DJI Phantom Forum

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl